Pre Season Friendlies 2021 | Page 14 | Vital Football

Pre Season Friendlies 2021

I thought Darikwa was excellent. He defended well and was composed in possession. Power was great and seems to have a good understanding with Naylor already. Will Keane showed some good touches and you can see we have a real goal threat with Humphreys and Lang. I think Wyke is more of a penalty box striker rather than a target man. If teams sit back and we’re able to get crosses in from high up the pitch then I’m sure he’ll get plenty goals. He can’t run in behind and nobody was running off him when the ball was played up to him. He isn’t like Kieffer Moore who was a target man and did loads of running. I think Wyke will need good service in the box otherwise he isn’t going to be very involved in the game.

Already mentioned but Power did look vastly improved. One that stood out for me was Naylor, runs all day. Passes and moves, likes to always work back to be in position. Lots of positives against a decent championship team.

Darikwa was at fault for a lot of goals last season, beaten in the air too often. Gave a lot of pens and get's drawn into tackles(lots of freekicks). Defensively he's no good, but he gets up and down the right flank. Also never hides, regardless of how the games going for him. Plus he did put a quality ball into Keane for the opener.

We didn't have any crossers in the team, without Pearce we don't have anyone from wide areas to give any service to Wyke. But he occupies the central defenders, allowing the others to play. Defenders will crowd him which leaves spaces in the final third. He did a decent job with flick ons and in a proper game he would of put Bauer in the back of the net with the ball from Aasgaards cross.

The games against Stoke and Nobbers were a treat. Both teams will do OK in the Championship this season and we more than matched them.

Stand outs last night were Naylor, Long and Keane. Lang made a difference when he came on. I thought Darikwa had a cracking first half and I don’t understand why he’s starting to get shit. He will be a club legend.

There also seems to be some reluctance to like Max, but he has given two great performances and, like Darikwa, is willing to put his body on the line for us, even in a friendly. Both PROPER Wigan players for me.

And for the Massey “fans”, he ran his socks off when he came on and can only be an asset this season.

A cracking pre-season, let’s take it into the league now

UTFT 😁

The games against Stoke and Nobbers were a treat. Both teams will do OK in the Championship this season and we more than matched them.

Stand outs last night were Naylor, Long and Keane. Lang made a difference when he came on. I thought Darikwa had a cracking first half and I don’t understand why he’s starting to get shit. He will be a club legend.

There also seems to be some reluctance to like Max, but he has given two great performances and, like Darikwa, is willing to put his body on the line for us, even in a friendly. Both PROPER Wigan players for me.

And for the Massey “fans”, he ran his socks off when he came on and can only be an asset this season.

A cracking pre-season, let’s take it into the league now

UTFT 😁

Very interesting how Darikwa splits opinion. I watched every game last season, and he frustrated me with his constant ability to give the ball away, like someone has said he is not a good enough defender for a team with top six ambitions.
I am prepared to give him another chance to change my mind, but nothing I've seen this week has altered my opinion. Club legend really where do you get it from lol are you putting him in the same bracket as Reece James ect

Corey Blackett-Taylor started and did well would be a good signing

Neal Eardly came on a late sub and didnt have enough time to be able to judge.

I was very impressed with Ben Amos ,who pulled off a couple of very good saves.
Looked a bit lazy to me Sid, don't recall him doing much tracking back. Lost the ball and just stood there, I suspect he would be one of those luxury players which we don't need.

I think once we get some more CB's in we might sometimes switch to a back five. Pearce and Darikwa are far better players going forward than defending, and playing the three CB's would give them licence to do that. Maybe Naylor dropping back in there and Power and Cousins in midfield ?

I do think his passes in attacking positions all too often go behind his team mate or straight to an opponent ….too many shin high crosses when he has ample time to deliver
However ….he did supply the goal scoring pass last night and his first priority is to defend and whatever shortcomings he showed last season (his first run of extended games for a couple of years through injury)….defensively last night against Championship players ….I thought he was outstanding.

This is his first proper start to a season, being and looking fully fit for a long time, he may well be able to show his best form from here on in….happy to wait and watch.

Signed up to PNE iFollow yesterday to watch match, has anyone found way to stop / delete account so no more monthly £4.49 payments going to them !

Darikwa is a good right back but he does have moments in games where he turns from Jekyl into Hyde and then back. I do think he just needs games and some consistency because he definitely has good ability. But harsh when comparing him to the right backs we did have who we were really blessed with in recent seasons.

I do think we struggle more on left back with Pearce though, Robinson is decent but he got destroyed last night when defending.

Do think full back cover and a good centrehalf is needed

Signed up to PNE iFollow yesterday to watch match, has anyone found way to stop / delete account so no more monthly £4.49 payments going to them !

I have cancelled this morning

Email

ifollow@efl.com and tell them you wish to cancel your Preston North End audio stream account expiring on 30-8-21 give them your name and email address

Preston played largely their first team so this was a good test for us. Like Stoke they started the game showing superior composure and movement and moving the ball well at a good tempo. They also pressed high to try and stop us playing out forcing us to go long where Van Der Berg and Bauer were very strong in the air. Preston also largely controlled the middle of the pitch with most of our play coming down the flanks and a big gap between the attack and defensive part of our side.

Just like the Stoke game we started a bit trepidatious and initially were struggling to play out and get the centre midfield into the game. But as we did on Tuesday we gradually grew into the game and by half time we were the better side. Everyone worked hard but with the exception of Keane who was doing a great impression of Nick Powell and the defence; a lot of players struggled to impose themselves on the game due to Prestons effective pressing. We also had to thank Amos for 3 or 4 superb saves.

After half time Preston upped their tempo and immediately scored, but we responded immediately by upping our own game. Suddenly the players started to move more, look more composed on the ball and we started to get everyone more involved in the game. Max seemed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, he started playing more in the middle of the pitch rather than just in front of the back 4 and took control of the centre of the park that in the first half we left open to Preston. He started to take positive risks and drive forward and the rest of the side responded and started getting more aggressive with the ball and quicker with the tempo. The introduction of Lang made a huge difference as his work rate, movement and directness made us a lot more fluid and threatening. We scored 2 good goals and were largely in control until we started to make lots of changes and understanably became a bit disjointed. Preston scored a consolation on the counter after we mucked about with a short corner - we tried a couple of short corners that didn't work but our direct delivery was pretty dangerous again. But after that the young side saw out the game without any major scares.

Amos - made some superb saves. Very impressed and a huge trade up on Jones.

Darikwa- I thought he was excellent, got a good assist and made lots of good tackles. The quality of the delivery and incoming striker forced him into an own goal trying to clear it but if he left it - it was a tap in.

Whatmough - very good again, looked classy but thought he lost his man a few times on set piece. Maybe went for long balls a little too often as he showed he had the ability to play out.

Long - impressed again, before the last 2 games I was worried about him potentially playing against Sunderland. But I'm a lot more confident in him now.

Robinson - was given a hard time by Scott Sinclair but at this level most full backs would. Made some good attacking runs forward which was often missing from his game last season. Played a big part in the second goal. Pretty decent against a good opponent.

Naylor and Power - like against Stoke the other night Preston immediately put men on them every time we tried to play out from the back to force us to go long. That took our central midfield out of the game for much of the first half and it felt Naylor and Power were struggling to get involved in any meaningful way, they were a bit too static off the ball and seemed to be a bit overly cautious in possession. But in the second half they seemed to become more fluid, composed and braver and started to get more and more involved. Naylor made some excellent interceptions and Power started to run the show, in particular he played a superb pass that lead to our second goal. At half time you'd have said we really missed a Lee Evans type but by full time you'd say Power played that role superbly. Powers set piece delivery was generally pretty dangerous again.

Blackett-Taylor - we saw a couple of glimpses of his pace, power and dribbling ability but not too much. In our system our attacking mid generally go at the box rather than get wide and I get the impression he'd shine more as a traditional winger hugging the touchline.

Keane - looked a cut above, very Powell-esq. Superb strike for the opening goal, worked hard and used the ball well.

Humphrys - worked hard and showed glimpses of his quality but struggled to really impose himself on the left of attacking midfield. Another goal will build his confidence.

Wyke - it's already clear Wyke is completely dependent on service and the one great ball put in by Assgaard he nearly scored from but the defender did very well to stop him with a last ditch tackle. Other than that he was not given any service so was never really in the game. He was playing against 2 very imposing centre halves but at his size you'd still expect Wyke to compete better and win more in the air than he did. His pressing from the front also was a bit slow and slack at times - which could be an issue with how we play. He's a bit the odd one out in our attacking players - with the rest being so much more mobile and energetic on and off the ball with the pressing. Not sure if he really fits the system in it's current form. We obviously bought him knowing you have to build a team around him but I do worry trying to play to Wykes strengths may not be playing to anyone else's.

Lang - came on and added a lot of energy and movement, his directness really changed the game. Scored a good free kick and hit the bar with a deflected shot. We need a new contract for him asap - he's going to attract interest and securing him long term in the best business we could do.

Aasgaard - he was not on that long but made another good impression. Superb cross for Wyke on the break should've been a goal if the Preston defender hadn't made a crucial last ditch goal saving challenge.

Costello, McHugh, Carragher, Massey, Smith Lloyd, Eardley all came on but none of them were really able to make an impression either way.

Overall i think it followed a similar pattern to the Stoke game - they pressed high to stop us playing out - we initially struggled but eventually overcame it to become the better side. We suffered a setback when they upped their game but we responded more emphatically than we did on Tuesday and by the end were comfortably the better side.

It's a big confidence boost and Richardson will have been pleased with what he saw. Still plenty to learn and improve on and you can never take preseason as an indication of how the real games will go but it seemed a very encouraging display.

Last edited:
Preston played largely their first team so this was a good test for us. Like Stoke they started the game showing superior composure and movement and moving the ball well at a good tempo. They also pressed high to try and stop us playing out forcing us to go long where Van Der Berg and Bauer were very strong in the air. Preston also largely controlled the middle of the pitch with most of our play coming down the flanks and a big gap between the attack and defensive part of our side.

Just like the Stoke game we started a bit trepidatious and initially were struggling to play out and get the centre midfield into the game. But as we did on Tuesday we gradually grew into the game and by half time we were the better side. Everyone worked hard but with the exception of Keane who was doing a great impression of Nick Powell and the defence; a lot of players struggled to impose themselves on the game due to Prestons effective pressing. We also had to thank Amos for 3 or 4 superb saves.

After half time Preston upped their tempo and immediately scored, but we responded immediately by upping our own game. Suddenly the players started to move more, look more composed on the ball and we started to get everyone more involved in the game. Max seemed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, he started playing more in the middle of the pitch rather than just in front of the back 4 and took control of the centre of the park that in the first half we left open to Preston. He started to take positive risks and drive forward and the rest of the side responded and started getting more aggressive with the ball and quicker with the tempo. The introduction of Lang made a huge difference as his work rate, movement and directness made us a lot more fluid and threatening. We scored 2 good goals and were largely in control until we started to make lots of changes and understanably became a bit disjointed. Preston scored a consolation on the counter after we mucked about with a short corner - we tried a couple of short corners that didn't work but our direct delivery was pretty dangerous again. But after that the young side saw out the game without any major scares.

Darikwa- I thought he was excellent, got a good assist and made lots of good tackles. The quality of the delivery and incoming striker forced him into an own goal trying to clear it but if he left it - it was a tap in.

Whatmough - very good again, looked classy but thought he lost his man a few times on set piece. Maybe went for long balls a little too often as he showed he had the ability to play out.

Long - impressed again, before the last 2 games I was worried about him potentially playing against Sunderland. But I'm a lot more confident in him now.

Robinson - was given a hard time by Scott Sinclair but at this level most full backs would. Made some good attacking runs forward which was often missing from his game last season. Played a big part in the second goal. Pretty decent against a good opponent.

Naylor and Power - like against Stoke the other night Preston immediately put men on them every time we tried to play out from the back to force us to go long. That took our central midfield out of the game for much of the first half and it felt Naylor and Power were struggling to get involved in any meaningful way, they were a bit too static off the ball and seemed to be a bit overly cautious in possession. But in the second half they seemed to become more fluid, composed and braver and started to get more and more involved. Naylor made some excellent interceptions and Power started to run the show, in particular he played a superb pass that lead to our second goal. At half time you'd have said we really missed a Lee Evans type but by full time you'd say Power played that role superbly. Powers set piece delivery was generally pretty dangerous again.

Blackett-Taylor - we saw a couple of glimpses of his pace, power and dribbling ability but not too much. In our system our attacking mid generally go at the box rather than get wide and I get the impression he'd shine more as a traditional winger hugging the touchline.

Keane - looked a cut above, very Powell-esq. Superb strike for the opening goal, worked hard and used the ball well.

Humphrys - worked hard and showed glimpses of his quality but struggled to really impose himself on the left of attacking midfield. Another goal will build his confidence.

Wyke - it's already clear Wyke is completely dependent on service and the one great ball put in by Assgaard he nearly scored from but the defender did very well to stop him with a last ditch tackle. Other than that he was not given any service so was never really in the game. He was playing against 2 very imposing centre halves but at his size you'd still expect Wyke to compete better and win more in the air than he did. His pressing from the front also was a bit slow and slack at times - which could be an issue with how we play. He's a bit the odd one out in our attacking players - with the rest being so much more mobile and energetic on and off the ball with the pressing. Not sure if he really fits the system in it's current form. We obviously bought him knowing you have to build a team around him but I do worry trying to play to Wykes strengths may not be playing to anyone else's.

Lang - came on and added a lot of energy and movement, his directness really changed the game. Scored a good free kick and hit the bar with a deflected shot. We need a new contract for him asap - he's going to attract interest and securing him long term in the best business we could do.

Aasgaard - he was not on that long but made another good impression. Superb cross for Wyke on the break should've been a goal if the Preston defender hadn't made a crucial last ditch goal saving challenge.

Costello, McHugh, Carragher, Massey, Smith Lloyd, Eardley all came on but none of them were really able to make an impression either way.

Overall i think it followed a similar pattern to the Stoke game - they pressed high to stop us playing out - we initially struggled but eventually overcame it to become the better side. We suffered a setback when they upped their game but we responded more emphatically than we did on Tuesday and by the end were comfortably the better side.

It's a big confidence boost and Richardson will have been pleased with what he saw. Still plenty to learn and improve on and you can never take preseason as an indication of how the real games will go but it seemed a very encouraging display.
According to thick Nob End fans last night's side wasn't a strong side. They reckon it was a side made up of fringe players. In that case they will be relegated next May as their first choice side were pretty naff last season and if that lot were fringe they are definitely doomed.

The Preston reporter said that there MAY be three of last nights players at most in next week's opener against Hull so maybe not largely there first team after all.

The Preston reporter said that there MAY be three of last nights players at most in next week's opener against Hull so maybe not largely there first team after all.

Just had a look at their squad list and fair play they were missing a lot of players - my mistake. I forgot they signed a lot of the lads who weren't there.

Berg, Bauer, Sinclair, captain Browne, Maguire and Bayliss all championship standard players. We didn't have Cousins, Lang, Pearce or Edwards starting. Was a good test.