Players coming in ... | Page 18 | Vital Football

Players coming in ...

Can't help feeling that given the past 8 months yet another kick in the bollocks will be heading in our direction before 11pm 🙄

Can’t really see a lot happening today. As I don’t think Sunderland will do us any favours regarding Grigg.
It’s clear they are happy to let him out on loan. At the moment they have an asset who is short on confidence and of no value to them. If he goes out and scores a few goals they get a player back who can maybe give them something extra or they have a player who they can get some money for in the summer. If Grigg wants to go somewhere where the fans love him and where he thinks he might rediscover some form that could bring us into play. If that is the case Sunderland may be willing to let him come here. We will see soon enough in a few hours

It’s clear they are happy to let him out on loan. At the moment they have an asset who is short on confidence and of no value to them. If he goes out and scores a few goals they get a player back who can maybe give them something extra or they have a player who they can get some money for in the summer. If Grigg wants to go somewhere where the fans love him and where he thinks he might rediscover some form that could bring us into play. If that is the case Sunderland may be willing to let him come here. We will see soon enough in a few hours

Nixon says Sunderland will let him out if they get another striker in to whoever is willing to take on the highest percentage of his salary. The other factor like you said is if the other sides all offer more than us Grigg could say 'i'm only going to Wigan' and force them to accept our lower offer. But he may not do that and fancy another club.

Oxford are pushing for the play offs so that would be a good option for him, he previously had a good spell at MK Dons so may fancy going back there. He may look at us and think he wont get as much service in a relegation threatened team and fear he wont get the chance to show his best.

I don't think we are out of the running but if i was him I'd probably think Oxford would be my best bet if they put an offer in. How realistically close the takeover is could also be a factor as if Liam rings Grigg and says 'we are about to be taken over by billionaires and we promise we'll sign you in the summer' if you come on loan now it would be more appealing than 'we are still in limbo but come on loan and see how it goes'.

Had a look at Wooton on social media and the Plymouth and Leeds fans were not very flattering about him. But reality is if he was ripping up trees he wouldn't be coming on a loan / free to us.

Plus Blackpool said Perkins was rubbish, Leeds said Pearce was useless, Oxford said Dunkley was dodgy, Fulham said Burn was one of their worst ever players, Toney was garbage for us but a goal machine after he left, Grigg and Yanic were great for us but flopped after leaving etc. A new club, a different manager with a fresh start can see players perform very differently.

So i'm not really that bothered by what they say as our coaching staff wouldn't be buying him if unless they thought they could get more out of him, lets see what they can do with him.

Apparently Wootton can also cover in defensive central midfield as well.In his last 3 sub appearances for Plymouth he's come on in that area,so his experience and versatility could be useful to us with such a small squad.
I find it disgraceful though that the EFL won't tweak these administration squad player rules during a pandemic.It's sad to see so many youngsters being sacrificed and forced to leave,all because of these ridiculous rules.They are further punishing the club for their own incompetence in helping cause our administration in the 1st place.

From what I can see he has been second string for most of his career, a couple of seasons with Shrewsbury in L1 & 2 as first choice then 13 appearances in cup and league for Blackburn plus 2 for Fleetwood this season. Prior to all that his time at Middlesbrough saw him used as 5 times in two seasons. Has never represented Canada to date , but was Swiss U21 prior to changing allegiance.

Hardly inspiring stats.
Interestingly just been signed by Huddersfield 😉

Apparently Wootton can also cover in defensive central midfield as well.In his last 3 sub appearances for Plymouth he's come on in that area,so his experience and versatility could be useful to us with such a small squad.
I find it disgraceful though that the EFL won't tweak these administration squad player rules during a pandemic.It's sad to see so many youngsters being sacrificed and forced to leave,all because of these ridiculous rules.They are further punishing the club for their own incompetence in helping cause our administration in the 1st place.

To be fair i dont think we are likely releasing anyone we believed could go on to be a first team regular. The lads going were all out of contract in the summer and if they couldn't get in the team at the moment probably weren't due an extension.

We've released some lads who weren't even counted in the 23 like Piggott, so it shows it's not just down to squad size. The other thing is we couldn't release the players from their contract unless we settled up the remaining amount with them or they agreed it, so many of the young lads who knew they were set to leave in the summer probably thought going now would give them a head start on finding a new club rather than waiting until the summer where the market will be flooded with free agents and they would be lower profile than most.

To be fair i dont think we are likely releasing anyone we believed could go on to be a first team regular. The lads going were all out of contract in the summer and if they couldn't get in the team at the moment probably weren't due an extension.

We've released some lads who weren't even counted in the 23 like Piggott, so it shows it's not just down to squad size. The other thing is we couldn't release the players from their contract unless we settled up the remaining amount with them or they agreed it, so many of the young lads who knew they were set to leave in the summer probably thought going now would give them a head start on finding a new club rather than waiting until the summer where the market will be flooded with free agents and they would be lower profile than most.
Piggot was in the 23 as far as i'm aware.
At the end of the day we are being forced to release these lads NOW to make the 1st team a priority,to add experience to it and make it stronger and more competitive.These lads we are releasing might not be ready at the moment,but who's to say they won't be in a year or 2?

Piggot was in the 23 as far as i'm aware.
At the end of the day we are being forced to release these lads NOW to make the 1st team a priority,to add experience to it and make it stronger and more competitive.These lads we are releasing might not be ready now,but who's to say they won't be in a year or 2?

I suspect the coaches have a good idea of if they believe lads are progressing enough to make the step up and in some cases it will be obvious they wont make it and they don't need to wait any longer to make the call. There are inevitably occasions where their judgement proves incorrect and the player makes it, but i don't think anyone is being released who wasn't already due to go anyway in the summer.

Had a look at Wooton on social media and the Plymouth and Leeds fans were not very flattering about him. But reality is if he was ripping up trees he wouldn't be coming on a loan / free to us.

Plus Blackpool said Perkins was rubbish, Leeds said Pearce was useless, Oxford said Dunkley was dodgy, Fulham said Burn was one of their worst ever players, Toney was garbage for us but a goal machine after he left, Grigg and Yanic were great for us but flopped after leaving etc. A new club, a different manager with a fresh start can see players perform very differently.

So i'm not really that bothered by what they say as our coaching staff wouldn't be buying him if unless they thought they could get more out of him, lets see what they can do with him.
I respect your frantic strawclutching, but the vast majority of players who come here after being panned by his previous club’s fans are just that...shit. This is life for us now though unfortunately so we better get used to it.

Toney wasn’t “shit” for us either. He was raw and missed chances as you’d expect for a young player who lacks composure contacted to a striker with more experience. It was clear that he had something.

I suspect the coaches have a good idea of if they believe lads are progressing enough to make the step up and in some cases it will be obvious they wont make it and they don't need to wait any longer to make the call. There are inevitably occasions where their judgement proves incorrect and the player makes it, but i don't think anyone is being released who wasn't already due to go anyway in the summer.
I don't like the fact we are being forced to make the decision on whether they are good enough for the 1st team NOW and that's not right imo as they are still developing.We should only be releasing these players when we as a club are ready and wish to do so.As the 1st team is the priority,they're simply having to be sacrificed to bring in more experienced professionals to improve the 1st team.All because of these ridiculous squad player rules that should be tweaked by the EFL during a pandemic.

I respect your frantic strawclutching, but the vast majority of players who come here after being panned by his previous club’s fans are just that...shit. This is life for us now though unfortunately so we better get used to it.

Toney wasn’t “shit” for us either. He was raw and missed chances as you’d expect for a young player who lacks composure contacted to a striker with more experience. It was clear that he had something.

It's not straw clutching, what they are saying about Wooton is exactly the same type of stuff as we heard about Burn, Perkins, etc and they left as legends. I'm not saying Wooton will turn out as good, he may be as bad as they say he is. The point is simply you shouldn't write him off until we see how he does in a Latics shirt.

Toney started well for us, but by the end he was not showing anything. He looked like one of these lads who had ability but wasn't going to live up to it, i don't think many folks were saying we should keep him as he simply hadn't shown enough.

Last edited:
I don't like the fact we are being forced to make the decision whether they are good enough for the 1st team NOW and that's not right imo as they are still developing.We should only be releasing these players when we as a club are ready and wish to do so.As the 1st team is the priority,they're simply having to be sacrificed to bring more experienced professionals in to improve the 1st team.All because of these ridiculous squad player rules that should be tweaked by the EFL during a pandemic.

I agree the rules are not very good, but i don't think we are really making sacrifices if all we are doing is bringing forward a departure date by 6 months.

I agree the rules are not very good, but i don't think we are really making sacrifices if all we are doing is bringing forward a departure date by 6 months.
Who's to say they wouldn't have been offered a one year extension at the end of the season to continue their development with us?

Last edited: