Nicky Shorey gone | Page 2 | Vital Football

Nicky Shorey gone

Personally don’t really understand why we’ve replaced him. Do we really need to use funds on a recruitment department at our level? Why not just let the manager have total say over the recruitment then everyone knows it’s solely their responsibility.

This a thousand times.

We’re in L2 FFS- not the Champtionship.

Personally don’t really understand why we’ve replaced him. Do we really need to use funds on a recruitment department at our level? Why not just let the manager have total say over the recruitment then everyone knows it’s solely their responsibility.
If we are getting a new owner who wants his own team in there he is unlikely to want Harris to pick the players.He may well have his own list of potential players he wants to collect more information on.This appointment could well be the first step by the new owner a temporary appointment with a view to change at the top.

If we are getting a new owner who wants his own team in there he is unlikely to want Harris to pick the players.He may well have his own list of potential players he wants to collect more information on.This appointment could well be the first step by the new owner a temporary appointment with a view to change at the top.

Does appear to send a signal that we intend to be very active in January and the appointment of an agent as a consultant suggests movement in and out and a different approach to transfer business. All of which hints at the potential new ownership getting ready to act. Either that or this cold and flu remedy is good sh*t!

If you’re suggesting the new owner could potentially have or want their say on player recruitment then that would be a big red flag to me. So I hope that isn’t the case.

This is another nail in the NH coffin.

This is GFC telling NH that his backroom staff set-up is crap - the very thing that NH insisted on and Scally supported.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Fisher/Scally driving this decision to replace a full time head of recruitment with a recruitment consultant.

I am not on Twitter or Linkedin so those links do not shed any light on the replacement. Can anyone brief us all on his background. A players agent?

The most obvious thing that occurred to me is that the new owner has sought advice on someone who might represent the sort of players that could help us make the urgent improvement that we need. Maybe this guy was recommended and he would not want Shorey getting in his way.

Many of the players we acquired in the summer would not have been the sort that would have required a recruitment consultant anyway, We knew Mandron and McKenzie, Green would have been assessed as triallist, I have a feeling that Harris actually knew about Williams and Walker anyway so that only really leaves Wright, Jefferies, Alexander, Turner and Kashket plus loans.

I suspect that the original plan was for Shorey to find players at an early age and nurture them, like Buster Collins, but we can no longer afford a long term restructuring project, so this move makes sense, particularly if we get an injection of funds that can purchase better quality.

Last edited:
The statement also said 'first team manager' and didn't mention Harris by name- significant?

Didn't mention all the board members by name either (there is only one active), even though he will be reporting to them - significant?

It is the usual formal structure that the club always uses for such statements.

Last edited:
I was not ever sure that Shorey was full time anyway, unless he did a lot of scouting.

I would also hazard a guess that he was being paid less than Harris or Livermore, so is cheaper to pay off.

I’ve heard that many of these consultants use a stat based system similar to the moneyball system that Brentford used and still do.
Identify under valued players or players coming to the end of contracts.
Anyone with six months left in the lower divisions should be fair game.
There are probably quite a few league one players with six months left who want a move.
It’s really depends on whether we are spending or not.

If you’re suggesting the new owner could potentially have or want their say on player recruitment then that would be a big red flag to me. So I hope that isn’t the case.

If the new owner has a new manager in mind they may have discussed targets and the sort of budget they have if he was available anyway.If not the new owner would have a style of football in mind and therefore potentially need certain types of attacking players.Midfielders and defenders.

I’ve heard that many of these consultants use a stat based system similar to the moneyball system that Brentford used and still do.
Identify under valued players or players coming to the end of contracts.
Anyone with six months left in the lower divisions should be fair game.
There are probably quite a few league one players with six months left who want a move.
It’s really depends on whether we are spending or not.

They may want a move but only for longer contracts (when we would be stuck with them if they turn out to be jank or do a JET) and would clubs release any of the better players, knowing that their contracts still have 6 months to go?

My point is a generalisation regardless of the manager. A club at our level doesn’t require a recruitment department in my opinion. Harris made a decent enough signing last January without needing someone else’s input first. I would rather the manager (whoever that is) have total say on who comes in and out of their squad then everybody knows where total responsibility lays.
Well I'm sure the manager would have total say on who comes in and out of the squad. The recruitment manager could only recommend a player to Harris, who would then go and have a look to make his own mind up. I couldn't imagine a situation where a player turns up to training and announces to the manager that he's the new centre half!

Well I'm sure the manager would have total say on who comes in and out of the squad. The recruitment manager could only recommend a player to Harris, who would then go and have a look to make his own mind up. I couldn't imagine a situation where a player turns up to training and announces to the manager that he's the new centre half!

It does seem stupid but there are always rumours that it does happen. At Spurs, Conte has said that Djed Spence was a signing "for the club" and "an investment", effectively saying that he was not Conte's choice, and lo and behold he has yet to start a game.
'The club decided to buy him' - Antonio Conte admits Tottenham signing Djed Spence wasn't his idea but right-back labels move a 'dream come true' (talksport.com)

Mr King seems to be taking a rather prominent role. He countersigned the Galinson charge document, involved (as agent?) in signing Callum and now gets a job as head of recruitment.

Wasn't aware of that, that is very interesting although I'm not sure in what way yet 😂