Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 27 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about giving it to the kitman? There is a precedent that you probably remember. It didn't end well despite having everything going for it, including an Irish connection. Well not really.

Con Moulson was an Irish footballer.
His playing career ended in 1943 when took up a job at a factory in Lincoln, where he continued working after the war ended, along with taking up a part-time role as Lincoln City's kit man. When Bill Anderson retired in 1965, Moulson was the shock choice to be the club's new manager, despite not having had any day-to-day involvement in football for almost three decades. After only eight matches, which saw an unconventional 3–3–4 formation being deployed and 21 goals conceded, Moulson was relieved of his duties. Every single one of the eight matches which Moulson was in charge for ended in defeat, giving him arguably the worst record of any permanent manager in the entire history of the league.

Still, you never know. It sometimes pays to think outside the box
Con Moulson was the inspired choice of Frank Eccleshare the then chairman who reputedly saved the club from extinction.

How about giving it to the kitman? There is a precedent that you probably remember. It didn't end well despite having everything going for it, including an Irish connection. Well not really.

Con Moulson was an Irish footballer.
His playing career ended in 1943 when took up a job at a factory in Lincoln, where he continued working after the war ended, along with taking up a part-time role as Lincoln City's kit man. When Bill Anderson retired in 1965, Moulson was the shock choice to be the club's new manager, despite not having had any day-to-day involvement in football for almost three decades. After only eight matches, which saw an unconventional 3–3–4 formation being deployed and 21 goals conceded, Moulson was relieved of his duties. Every single one of the eight matches which Moulson was in charge for ended in defeat, giving him arguably the worst record of any permanent manager in the entire history of the league.

Still, you never know. It sometimes pays to think outside the box
Con Moulson held the title of trainer-coach, and was only responsible for training and coaching the players. The board selected the team and held full control over transfers, so he was never a manager of the club in the true sense. In fact although he was sidelined, Bill Anderson retained the title of manager until September 1966 (his contract ran to the end of the 1966-67 season). Soon afterwards he joined Nottingham Forest as assistant manager where he remained in post until January 1975 when he would have been 62.

Looks like Joey Barton is available once his sacking is announced, I think he would be added to the list of Steve Evans and Karl Robinson of people i would never like to see employed by the club.
…and of course, Cooperman 😳🤬

Looks like Joey Barton is available once his sacking is announced, I think he would be added to the list of Steve Evans and Karl Robinson of people i would never like to see employed by the club.

Not that he'd ever be on our agenda as a sensible football club... but side effect of him being a massive tit rather than commanding respect through the game and acting with an ounce of decorum is that he was offering out our (arguably) most saleable long term asset after we beat them earlier this year.

Doesn't make you a very attractive proposition does it.

Results against Exeter and Oxford and i dont necessarily mean wins and the jobs Shaws and Cohens, there can be no other conclusion, (well there can but it would be a very risky decision by the board)

...at least until January or the end of the season when we would re-evaluate then as to how results have gone, how we have played and where we are in the league.

Shaw knows the club inside out and Cohen has not just turned up out of the blue, he would of been at least known to Jez George and invited to do the job he is doing.

Whoever you appoint, it's a risk and there are no guarantees but the transformation in the whole outlook and attitude in the team is there for all to see since Shaw and Cohen have been given their opportunity and although you on one hand you could say its the new manager bounce. I personally think that these two have something about them in the way that they have changed us tactically from that boring team we was a couple of weeks ago to a much more attacking and forward thinking outfit which doesn't just happen by accident.

One game at a time but these two have been impressive so far.

Last edited:
I see Jones is favourite at the minute, I’m guessing we don’t mind outspoken managers after all if he gets the job 😂😂

If you take a minute to read a recent Chris Cohen (our interim coach) interview then you’ll see that the majority of the time Nathan’s interview were edited to make a news story.

Nathan didn’t get an opportunity in the Premier League for no reason, he is a quality coach and created an ‘us against the world’ environment at Luton. Something similar with the imps the fans would really get behind.

If you take a minute to read a recent Chris Cohen (our interim coach) interview then you’ll see that the majority of the time Nathan’s interview were edited to make a news story.

Nathan didn’t get an opportunity in the Premier League for no reason, he is a quality coach and created an ‘us against the world’ environment at Luton. Something similar with the imps the fans would really get behind.
Didn't work at Stoke!

The man who said after his job at Luton, that he was was one of the best managers in Europe. I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.