Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 28 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kick a man while he's down in Grauniad language.
Thought it was kind of funny but fair in terms of the Southampton squad being bad so poor results not really being shocking, and the ridicule element being part of him going. The table tennis table anecdote is gold.

Please not Jones. Don't want a bible basher in charge, thank you very much.
My admittedly very hot take would be I'm not bothered about Jones being a Christian if he could be an excellent Lincoln manager. I think the jury's out if he would be, and there's a lot of baggage and silliness from his spell at Southampton (and Stoke).

But also read about him being a football obsessive, coaxing players to sign who shouldn't, sleeping at the training ground, developing a bunch of very good players while playing attacking football with a team punching above their weight, which is actually... kind of good. A lot of the detail stuff sounds like what the Cowleys did in a weirder, Welsh package! I feel liked he'd turn up for interview with an in depth knowledge of Jack Vale's pressing angles or something.

And some of that stands even if he's funny and weird and has become a caricature. I'm not convinced the link is a realistic thing, and would more realistically be linked to the Championship - with a coincidence linking him to our role, exacerbated by a couple of people putting a tenner on it.

Please not Jones. Don't want a bible basher in charge, thank you very much.

Why is it acceptable to say that?

Is that not prejudice?

Would you say you didn't want somebody in charge because they are Muslim?

I thought we were an inclusive club?

Clearly some haven't got the memo!

I personally wouldn't want Jones but it has absolutely nothing to do with his religious beliefs!

I would see how Tom Shaw gets on in the next few matches and if he is doing a good job then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
My admittedly very hot take would be I'm not bothered about Jones being a Christian if he could be an excellent Lincoln manager. I think the jury's out if he would be, and there's a lot of baggage and silliness from his spell at Southampton (and Stoke).

But also read about him being a football obsessive, coaxing players to sign who shouldn't, sleeping at the training ground, developing a bunch of very good players while playing attacking football with a team punching above their weight, which is actually... kind of good. A lot of the detail stuff sounds like what the Cowleys did in a weirder, Welsh package! I feel liked he'd turn up for interview with an in depth knowledge of Jack Vale's pressing angles or something.

And some of that stands even if he's funny and weird and has become a caricature. I'm not convinced the link is a realistic thing, and would more realistically be linked to the Championship - with a coincidence linking him to our role, exacerbated by a couple of people putting a tenner on it.
Couple of things I noticed about Jones, he did get them out of league 2, and might have done good ground work, but left mid season (as per cowley) and Harford got them promoted from l1. when he returned to luton in champ, he left again mid season, when they were ninth. The current fella got them into the prem.

Couple of things I noticed about Jones, he did get them out of league 2, and might have done good ground work, but left mid season (as per cowley) and Harford got them promoted from l1. when he returned to luton in champ, he left again mid season, when they were ninth. The current fella got them into the prem.
He did get Luton to a Championship playoff final though in that second spell and they were third in League One when he left the first time ahead of their promotion. This is what Harford said after Luton were promoted from L1:

I hardly watched the first team while Nathan was the manager,” says Harford. “Very occasionally, maybe a cup game or something. But I used to be on the training ground every day. I watched the players train, I was involved in the process of bringing the majority of the players to the club, and I knew when Nathan left, that the team didn’t need fixing. There was nothing wrong, we were doing well. So we just carried on and we didn’t really change much.

(Not trying to be a cheerleader for Jones here - just the flip side of it!)

One thing to consider about Nathan Jones and his return to management is whether he’s been gone too long?

Been out of work less time than the Cowleys.

8 months isn't too bad given that 3 months would have been during the close season (May to August).

Who do you want in the hot seat Ainsworth? Interested to know. Cheers.

Been out of work less time than the Cowleys.

8 months isn't too bad given that 3 months would have been during the close season (May to August).

Who do you want in the hot seat Ainsworth? Interested to know. Cheers.

Sorry that was supposed to be a (admittedly very bad) joke.

I’ve no idea - I thought Tilson was a good appointment at the time so I’m happy to let the experts running the club decide. They haven’t really let us down so far. If I was forced to pick Id say Cowley - huge comfort blanket and any other new Manager will be compared unfavourably to him anyway.

One final thought from me, I certainly wouldn't give up gardening leave to move to an appointment that wasn't permanent.

My thoughts too. It could have been some sort of unofficial unpaid helping out but now it's all a bit public I don't think that would wash with Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.