Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion | Page 25 | Vital Football

Next Manager/Head Coach Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the right way to do things too. I hope Tom Shaw will be right up there with the best of the other candidates, but it has to be a thorough process.

Tom could easily make himself front runner though with good results and performances over the next three or four games.

Personally I see a lot of really good points in him, even from a very nervous first interview before Fleetwood to a very composed (and informative- MK to note) after the Charlton game. Plus tactically, Tuesday was the best display I have seen in years.

Very much looking forward to Saturday and a couple more weeks of Tom ball before the big decision is made.
We got more information out of him post Charlton regarding injuries etc than in several months of evasive MK interviews, a breath of fresh air imo. Rob Makepeace does tend to ask questions which are more straightforward and demand a clear answer. Maybe when he next has the chance to interview TS he should ask about House and Walker and their future availability rather than vague waffle we got from MK. I think we are the paying supporters and should know something about how they are doing and when we could next expect to see them on the pitch. UTI.

Good interview from Clive as always.
I am interested in the 'one or two' candidates who we potentially didn't think would be interested in the job / weren't identified as next managers by the committee that discusses manager succession over time, but have contacted us and made the list we are looking at.

I am interested in the 'one or two' candidates who we potentially didn't think would be interested in the job / weren't identified as next managers by the committee that discusses manager succession over time, but have contacted us and made the list we are looking at.

Nathan Jones perhaps?

We got more information out of him post Charlton regarding injuries etc than in several months of evasive MK interviews, a breath of fresh air imo. Rob Makepeace does tend to ask questions which are more straightforward and demand a clear answer. Maybe when he next has the chance to interview TS he should ask about House and Walker and their future availability rather than vague waffle we got from MK. I think we are the paying supporters and should know something about how they are doing and when we could next expect to see them on the pitch. UTI.
Not certain how accurate but according to FM - House is out to until March/April next year. Came as a surprise to me.

Walker & Vale were both back September.

Not certain how accurate but according to FM - House is out to until March/April next year.

To replace him we might find a hidden gem in the Belgian Second Division who signs on a free, scores 30 goals a season for three years, and who we sell on to Man City for £50m?!

woodworkimp said: I’m curious as to the people who have come to the club and offered their services, would like to know who they are

I understand that one of them is from this forum. The board are exercising due dilligence by looking at every post they have made over the last 5 years in order to confirm their suitability for the position and to understand exactly where the club has been going wrong all these years.

Last edited:
woodworkimp said: I’m curious as to the people who have come to the club and offered their services, would like to know who they are

I understand that one of them is from this forum. The board are exercising due dilligence by looking at every post they have made over the last 5 years in order to confirm their suitability for the position and to understand exactly where the club has been going wrong all these years.
Only one???

Surely Liam would be on the list of potentials already.

The good work he has done over the years surely means he wouldn't have had to offer his services as manager. He knows the game being an ex-goalkeeper.

If he was on the regular committee then i would have probably snuck my name on the list anyway.

Surely Liam would be on the list of potentials already.

The good work he has done over the years surely means he wouldn't have had to offer his services as manager. He knows the game being an ex-goalkeeper.

If he was on the regular committee then i would have probably snuck my name on the list anyway.

After his explanation of the Jack Vale scenario at Fleetwood, we know he certainly talks a good game! But could he walk the lonely walk?

I’m surprised at how little talk there is around the current Notts County manager, Luke Williams. He’s completely revolutionised the way they play football, and County seem to be subscribing to a similar type of model we’re aiming for….

I’m surprised at how little talk there is around the current Notts County manager, Luke Williams. He’s completely revolutionised the way they play football, and County seem to be subscribing to a similar type of model we’re aiming for….

Probably a cost issue over buying out his contract. Other than those currently employed in Ireland, ie Bradley and Duff, I don't think anyone at other clubs has come into the equation at the moment

On the question of whether it is better to have someone with previous Head Coach/manager experience, if we go back 60 years or so City have quite a long list of appointments who didn't fit that category.

Top of a very short list on the plus side is Graham Taylor, but set against that are the likes of George Kerr (first time), John Pickering and others on a too-long list.

Perhaps in between are the likes of Steve Thompson and David Herd.

Probably because there's a good chance they'll be playing in the same league as us next season, they're a bigger club and he'll stand a chance of a move to a Championship club if he gets them promoted again (like Cowley).

He was poor in L1 with Swindon. They're doing well, no doubt, hugely reliant on attack though, they have a defence like a sieve - 26 conceded already!

It's nothing against Shaw, but I'd be hugely wary of getting too carried away with results as it stands. That's not to diminish the last two results but I can't think of too many caretakers managers who get given the job and last particularly long.

It was only 18 months(?) ago that Bradford appointed their caretakers and it went tits up.

Absolutely, even if Shaw wins the next two matches - what we are seeing could just be a positive reaction to what was a poor situation under MK. It would however, be correct and proper to reward him though, financially and with assurances of mentoring and career progression, as far as the later is possible.

I'm also in the camp never look back and whilst like everybody else on here recognise the legendary work the Cowley's did when at SB, that was then and this is now and the club is a very different environment these days. I do suspect the lure of the Cowley's will be a big one and it would not surprise me to see them back at the club. I'd also not be surprised to learn after the dust settles the two parties have been in contact, even if one side has said "thanks, but no thanks".

Not that it matters one iota, I want to see an external appointment hopefully an up and coming manager who has done some of the hard yards and has some form of record of success. Previously, I believe the club were not in a situation to attract some one with this sort of track record/experience/calibre, but it is different now.

There can't many more attractive managers/head coach jobs around in professional football at the moment. The new incumbent will be given time to develop their playing style and mantra, as clearly the club does not have a hire & fire mentality and has robust structure along with the requisite ambition allied to the available resource. As well as the basis of a very good playing squad not to mention a very healthy league position. Therefore, I'm not surprised to hear Clive say that some unexpected names have thrown their names into the hat.

Well Tom Shaw has full knowledge of academy players over his period at the club, so has an advantage over others, so when all these loan players return If Shaw gets the job even to January, and both he and Cohen will have some squad to work with.
6 points from next two games will put us amongst it, and in a very good position, who knows promotion\ play-offs, anything is possible.
Come on Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.