Next 4 League Games | Page 4 | Vital Football

Next 4 League Games

Macdonald not getting into the Tranmere side most games (played just two of their league games).

What’s that meant to mean? I’ve not watched Tranmere but maybe Jackson’s got it wrong too. I quite liked MacDonald I think he showed more promise than that shite we currently play in his position.

What’s that meant to mean? I’ve not watched Tranmere but maybe Jackson’s got it wrong too. I quite liked MacDonald I think he showed more promise than that shite we currently play in his position.
If he's that good, then why's he not getting into a side 17th in the division below us (funnily enough also with only one win from seven games)?

If he's that good, then why's he not getting into a side 17th in the division below us (funnily enough also with only one win from seven games)?

He's not in the side though is he ? How can he affect a side if he's not playing anyway ? Other ways of looking at it. Some players just don't suit managers, bit like our misfits.

Last edited:
I liked Calum Mac but it was mostly because we didn't have a left footed winger so at least when he was starting as a wing back in a 3-4-2-1 the team had more balance to it.

Not sure what Mike Jackson is doing at Tranmere but have seen a few complaints from fans when checking what our ex trio are up to that he's not getting the best out of the squad assembled yet. Ferrier and Vaughan being out looks like a blow though. They looked like getting in their stride as a focal point in that last game here. Although we played right into their hands on the night. Got out 3-5-2'ed and didn't look organised or ready at all. Like they didn't know what was coming.

I liked Calum Mac but it was mostly because we didn't have a left footed winger so at least when he was starting as a wing back in a 3-4-2-1 the team had more balance to it.

Not sure what Mike Jackson is doing at Tranmere but have seen a few complaints from fans when checking what our ex trio are up to that he's not getting the best out of the squad assembled yet. Ferrier and Vaughan being out looks like a blow though. They looked like getting in their stride as a focal point in that last game here. Although we played right into their hands on the night. Got out 3-5-2'ed and didn't look organised or ready at all. Like they didn't know what was coming.

I think its a case like with our manager they're both cutting their teeth. Names or where they come from mean nothing. Generally speaking, you can't get better than an experienced manager especially one with personality, one which can get the best out of players other than complicate a simple game. I would love another Holloway have a go type manager.

Everyone was inexperienced once. It's just whether you've got enough about you and on your staff to be able to not just coach a football team but manage and lead a club too, and be it's public face. Particularly if you end up as the most senior football-knowledge person there but you know in yourself that you'd rather not have all that hassle and just be on the training ground pointing at things.

Everyone was inexperienced once. It's just whether you've got enough about you and on your staff to be able to not just coach a football team but manage and lead a club too, and be it's public face. Particularly if you end up as the most senior football-knowledge person there but you know in yourself that you'd rather not have all that hassle and just be on the training ground pointing at things.

Your right, after all we had bare bones under the Oystons. Inadvertently worked. Too many cooks now perhaps ? I definitely think Critchley is out of his depth though.

Last edited:
I think you really do have to get the Head Coach/Director of Football/Recruitment structure defined and nailed down from the off nowadays, if that's your thing. As well as your pay/bonus structure for it all. No half measures or leaving things open to interpretation and endless transfer churns and uncertainty so that someone wins but not necessarily your football team.

Love stats don't you, I'm not judging him on how many games he's played for whoever from what I've seen of him and what we have now at left back I'd rather have MacDonald.
Critchley needs to get this Liverpool thing out of his head now were not going to play like them in league one with the players we currently have, I was full of optimism at his appointment but he's changed way too much too soon as said above we look like a bunch of misfits.
looking at the MK Dons game I'd be happy just to get a shot on target never mind a goal, a point would be very welcome 3 would be unbelievable.

Pretty Liverpool type football creates great possession stats but they mean absolutely sweet fook all if your team doesn't create scoring chances and can't bag goals at the other end. Unfortunately, that is exactly where we are at the moment.

Last edited:
Obviously people are entitled to their opinions, but it does amaze me how negative this board has become in just a matter of weeks. I don't remember it being this bad even when we had Lee Clark etc.

Anyway, at the risk of upsetting people with some stats again (evidence, that's the new buzzword), of last season's top six, 50% of them had slow starts; two in particular:

Rotherham were 14th after 7 games and finished 2nd

Portsmouth were 19th after 7 games (with one win) and finished 5th

Oxford were 20th after 7 games (with one win) and finished 4th

Our race is not run after 7 games.

Obviously people are entitled to their opinions, but it does amaze me how negative this board has become in just a matter of weeks. I don't remember it being this bad even when we had Lee Clark etc.

Anyway, at the risk of upsetting people with some stats again (evidence, that's the new buzzword), of last season's top six, 50% of them had slow starts; two in particular:

True but we have not even got to the starting gate yet still in the tunnel,

That's because some of us can see that at the moment we are going nowhere Abel. Game in game out it's getting worse not better and the quality of ball delivery into the box seems non existent. Nobody seems confident to run with the ball at defenders and into their penalty area in case it seems they can be blamed for not passing. Our number of shots from outside the box are almost non existent, as are the number of crosses that get put over whether quality or not. I am like others on this site very concerned with what we are watching. We all started off the season with great expectations but it is a long way from being delivered at this time. Your opinion will never upset me Abel-- your opinion is as always most welcome, though I may disagree with you from time to time.

Last edited:

I’m glad you’ve mentioned this, Oxford were unlucky not to beat us early days last season and I couldn’t believe they were near the bottom and as you point out ended up finishing in a play off place.

Other managers are coming out and saying we are a good team, I’d take their opinion over negative fans who think a team with 17 new signings should be top of the league after 7 games.

I’m as frustrated as us all by our poor start but I’m confident we will get out of this mess and click very soon.

Great post Eamonn and glad to read some level balanced sense for once.

Excellent post Abel 1 win can really get this season back on track we need more positivity like this post 👍👍👍

There is nothing more motivating than success and success breeds success.That is what is needed before failure destroys belief....

I love a good fact or two!

I can assure you we will win today as I am cooking a lancashire hotpot for lunch. We always win when I cook a hot pot.