New forum layout | Page 2 | Vital Football

New forum layout

Its beyond dreadful.

Functionality reduced to a minimum. Click on a thread and it takes you to the start rather than the end- you need to click something different for that.

Virtually impossible to know who last posted, so it's hard to know when it's just Paz who has posted and therefore not to bother.

The look reminds me of my mate's amateur EZ board forum from 2001

in defence. With the last change people hated it too.

People hate every apple software update

I'm trying hard but can't see how this improves anything. Just the opposite, more and bigger adverts.

It's beginning to annoy me.

Morning All,

I had meant to pop up a warning about the changing forum format, but I was away when the email on the timing of the roll out arrived.

I've pasted a snippet below from 'the Vital gaffer':

"Can you let users know there might be some downtime. Also, for some it might take a while for the new site to show, so they might think they are on a ghost-town with no one replying!

If you can let them know the new forum (as per Vital Villa) has gone down very well and is long overdue, but there will be some initial teething problems.

The current software hasn’t had support since 1999 so no real choice now but to change now, as it is not fit for purpose and will become less so. But as said, the new forum has gone down well on VV and is much easier to use once you get used to it."

Back to my own comments:

Personally, I believe you need to embrace change and am fully aware how difficult it was to manage the previous system - from an admin point of view.

'Vital' is a business and as such, those that run it (not me) do this to make money and whilst I did know that there are changes to the whole network and most likely will be more to come - the whole objective IS to make the site more user friendly, more accessible via more formats/platforms etc.

Every time the format has changed previously, there has been some resistance, but once you get used to it - it may well prove otherwise.

Just from a few minutes, I'm already happier with the ease and layout of posting and whilst the format will take some getting used to, hopefully it will indeed prove to be an upgrade to a system that was pretty much on it's last legs!

Anyway - apologies for not pre-warning you all - but all the old emoji's & a few more are still there!!!

:tophat::unsure::shrug::geek::punk:

Why bother ? This seems more like a step backwards, the old system worked well for me. Might learn to put up with it in time but at the moment NO.

It wasn't - the old system was getting slower & slower and the engine room/admin aspect was a nightmare, posts often duplicated/lost - links & attachments often did not load!

I've had 5 minutes on the site and already, I'm seeing improvements..... although, I'm accessing currently via Google Chrome & laptop... not tried iphone etc.

Give it a chance.:hmmm:

It wasn't - the old system was getting slower & slower and the engine room/admin aspect was a nightmare, posts often duplicated/lost - links & attachments often did not load!

I've had 5 minutes on the site and already, I'm seeing improvements..... although, I'm accessing currently via Google Chrome & laptop... not tried iphone etc.

Give it a chance.:hmmm:
Agreed OKD. Over the last few years perhaps I've slowed down along with Vital but believe in giving everything a chance, if you can see improvements then in time I may see the same.

Agreed OKD. Over the last few years perhaps I've slowed down along with Vital but believe in giving everything a chance, if you can see improvements then in time I may see the same.

Significantly faster for me.

As stated - I'm accessing via Google Chrome & will try tablet & Iphone later!

I've just been asked, due to the new forum format, to pop a new thread at the top for anyone facing problems accessing their account.

So, if anyone can’t login, please email membership@vitalfootball.co.uk with their exact username and they will sort it out!

Regards

OKD

Its beyond dreadful.

Functionality reduced to a minimum. Click on a thread and it takes you to the start rather than the end- you need to click something different for that.

Virtually impossible to know who last posted, so it's hard to know when it's just Paz who has posted and therefore not to bother.

The look reminds me of my mate's amateur EZ board forum from 2001

Brought up your comments with the Vital Gaffer - his response:

"It will slowly take users to the last place they read in a thread, then if they’ve read it all, it does go to page one which although I wasn’t keen on, I soon got used to it.

This new system is so much better than what we had, bear in mind the number of individual 'vital sites', as that had had no support since 1999 and, as you know, was literally falling apart behind the scenes."

Believe me - it absolutely was barely functioning!

Given that we are literally the 2nd site (although a few others happened yesterday too) I did ask them to compile a user (Idiot's) guide, that I could then pop onto a sticky thread at the top.

Plus - like with anything new, there will be issues that need to be ironed out and I'm assured that with this new system and the new support mechanisms downtime will become much less of a problem and with positive feedback - I can & will forward this on - so that we can improve the experiences for all.

Brought up your comments with the Vital Gaffer - his response:

"It will slowly take users to the last place they read in a thread, then if they’ve read it all, it does go to page one which although I wasn’t keen on, I soon got used to it.

This new system is so much better than what we had, bear in mind the number of individual 'vital sites', as that had had no support since 1999 and, as you know, was literally falling apart behind the scenes."

Believe me - it absolutely was barely functioning!

Given that we are literally the 2nd site (although a few others happened yesterday too) I did ask them to compile a user (Idiot's) guide, that I could then pop onto a sticky thread at the top.

Plus - like with anything new, there will be issues that need to be ironed out and I'm assured that with this new system and the new support mechanisms downtime will become much less of a problem and with positive feedback - I can & will forward this on - so that we can improve the experiences for all.

PS - Quoting other posts already looks much better!

Old people do not like change, so it's no surprise that AC, Banger and the clique are up in arms.

Old people; change is not your enemy, winter is!

I do like the New Owners threads Part 1 & 2 on page 103 and 104.
Might be worth a chuckle or two to read through it one day.
Any chance of tagging Charlie Austins Dad and Billy Davis Plane Journey at the end. Also anything with the Wolf/Jimmy Gordon having a full go.