Milwall match thread sponsored by better late than never | Page 4 | Vital Football

Milwall match thread sponsored by better late than never

2 nil up ( albeit undeservedly).
Just launch the fucking thing !
The throw out was never on in the first place.
All we had to do was kill the game for 10 minutes instead of panic stations.
Really annoying.

Awful sub, would be better bringing on a bridcutt/Watson to contril the middle rather than Dawson..

Thought Dawson looked commanding when he came on. Hefelle on the other hand was all over the place. Not sure Dias should have been brought on as he added nothing other than giving the ball away.

More worrying was the total lack of pattern in our play. We were all over the place and we couldn't control the ball. Lack of movement meant we couldn't break them down and we had to constantly launch the ball long.

Steve Hodge saying we've only lost 1 in 14 ....can't argue with that...why aren't we top of the league stevie boy

Not left a match that pissed off in a while - only comfort is that everyone appears to be in the same page!

Yes pantillimon was shit, but I square that utterly disgraceful performance at the managers feet. It was gutless, negative, time wasting, diving, slow and almost deliberately trying to devoid the fans of entertainment.

Nobody likes throwing away a 2-0 lead but we never should have been anything less than 2-0 down ourselves. But to throw a 5th defender on with 20 minutes to go against a side 3rd from bottom at home, is unacceptable and I'm glad hey equalised because the managers horrible tactics deserved nothing more!

We've heard from a lot of fans "typical negative Karanka side", and today that was exactly it!

Thought Dawson looked commanding when he came on. Hefelle on the other hand was all over the place. Not sure Dias should have been brought on as he added nothing other than giving the ball away.

More worrying was the total lack of pattern in our play. We were all over the place and we couldn't control the ball. Lack of movement meant we couldn't break them down and we had to constantly launch the ball long.
I didn’t mean daws was shit, but it kind of sets us up on the back foot rather than control a team who are shockingly bad

I thought we'd be swarming over a lot of teams especially after the WBA game but we don't seem to create hardly anything.
Because we are set up badly, we have pace in Lolley/oz/Carvalho but we hardly see it used...especially out wide

We rarely work it into the box and if we do then Grabban is usually in the wrong channel and when he has the ball wide there is no one to pass to

With the players we have a 352 would allow us to control games more

We are still so dodgy at the back aerially. Fullbacks can't attack. Sideways and backwards stuff going no where . Cash and dias coming on aren't inspiring

Millwall deserved to win no doubt about it we were fortunate to get a point.
They make the Wimbledon of old look like Barcelona though in comparison.
Dreadful to watch.

A poor performance, but I don't understand all the fuss; we've all been watching football at this level for 10 years now and should know the score, and know not to go OTT.

We've just had 3 good results, closing in on the playoffs and were up against a team in poor form languishing at the bottom of the table. Anybody thinking we were actually going to win needed their heads examining - that's just not what happens in this league!

For what it's worth, I thought tonight was all about the midfield problems creeping back into our game. I have serious issues with those two positions in defensive midfield; we've been a lot more motivated in the last 3 games and this has made the difference, but again we saw negligence off the ball and disorganisation in possession.

Colback and Guedioura (and Watson) don't appear to have a good understranding to me, they rarely seem to know when (or who has) to drop off or step up, and often aren't touch tight. The problem in this part of the pitch has been papered over during the last 3 good results through their undoubted quality, but I just wonder about motivational issues, particularly Colback. Players as experienced as this should know what they're doing.

I know it's more difficult to stay organised during transitions when you have most of the ball, but for me Millwall had too much freedom in this area at key times - I can see they had 20 shots, yet neither Guedioura nor Colback attempted a tackle tonight.

Attempted :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Not good enough.

A defining feature of the games we've been poor in has been that in all of them, we have had little to no tackles attempted in central midfield. You can't win games if you do not defend this area of the pitch, it's the basics.

They were also a bit confused on the ball and didn't appear to know how to deal with Millwall's gameplan, which worked well. A lack of ideas is right. 2 shots on target is woeful.

I missed their first goal - what happened? I thought Pantilimon was ok before then but looked very dodgy afterwards. Bear in mind he is not going to be dropped, and we have to support him in this key position. He's played well recently too.

Positives - not many. Lolley very dangerous, Osborn doing his job as usual - it's always a worry when he's not on the pitch; a long long time since we've won a league game without him I bet and I don't think we'd have capitulated were he still playing. Carvalho is going to be one hell of a player - not ready for Championship football but worth carrying IMO..

All that said, lets not get carried away as we were a couple of minutes away from being in the playoffs tonight, and we can only improve. We were never going to win tonight it was obvious.

What a poor, poor performance. We were all over the place at the back, unconvincing in midfield and sterile in attack.

We can't defend in the air, still, and we are getting the jitters due to very poor form by Pants. He simply must be dropped.

Also the system plainly isn't working. We are playing with no cohesion. We are too negative. We are not passing the ball well enough. Bringing on Dawson and going 3 at the back didn't work either.

This rests at AK's door. He says we weren't at our best (he's right there!), but has no clue about answers.

Floodlight failure was highlight of that second half. Went with stepson - his first time at City Ground. Amazingly he said he enjoyed it. I think he might have just been being polite. It was pretty dire

Some overreaction on here.

Terrible performance but give Millwall some credit - their No 19 won everything in the air and most of their set pieces were dangerous. Hit the bar early on and deserved to be at least 1 up before Lolley showed them how to score.

We never got going in the first half. Second half I thought we looked a bit more like it and Geddy was vastly improved. One great crossfield ball and a storming run which brought the free kick. Carvalho had hardly done anything but scored a beauty.

Pants was in a world of his own - several times he came to the halfway line to shout at defenders. First half he started to throw it out, changed his mind halfway, then pretended he meant to throw it to his own feet. At 2-0 he capped it all by trying a throw to the halfway line which was duly intercepted, then stood and watched as the ball was crossed and headed past him. I think his antics spread uncertainty to the rest of the defence.

Millwall got uglier. They were given several free kicks and most of them ended with a Forest player on the deck holding his head. The ref gave us the free kick but took no further action. At the other end, Cash was flattened by an elbow inside their box but the ref did nothing.

Bringing on Cash and Dawson was common sense. Cash won headers and made life difficult for their left back. Dawson helped repel Millwall's aerial bombardment. I'd have put Murphy on for Grabban at 2-0, but most have praised AK's subs in recent games so why turn on him now? We're a point off the playoffs and we move on.