Milwall match thread sponsored by better late than never | Page 5 | Vital Football

Milwall match thread sponsored by better late than never

A poor performance, but I don't understand all the fuss; we've all been watching football at this level for 10 years now and should know the score, and know not to go OTT.

We've just had 3 good results, closing in on the playoffs and were up against a team in poor form languishing at the bottom of the table. Anybody thinking we were actually going to win needed their heads examining - that's just not what happens in this league!

For what it's worth, I thought tonight was all about the midfield problems creeping back into our game. I have serious issues with those two positions in defensive midfield; we've been a lot more motivated in the last 3 games and this has made the difference, but again we saw negligence off the ball and disorganisation in possession.

Colback and Guedioura (and Watson) don't appear to have a good understranding to me, they rarely seem to know when (or who has) to drop off or step up, and often aren't touch tight. The problem in this part of the pitch has been papered over during the last 3 good results through their undoubted quality, but I just wonder about motivational issues, particularly Colback. Players as experienced as this should know what they're doing.

I know it's more difficult to stay organised during transitions when you have most of the ball, but for me Millwall had too much freedom in this area at key times - I can see they had 20 shots, yet neither Guedioura nor Colback attempted a tackle tonight.

Attempted :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Not good enough.

A defining feature of the games we've been poor in has been that in all of them, we have had little to no tackles attempted in central midfield. You can't win games if you do not defend this area of the pitch, it's the basics.

They were also a bit confused on the ball and didn't appear to know how to deal with Millwall's gameplan, which worked well. A lack of ideas is right. 2 shots on target is woeful.

I missed their first goal - what happened? I thought Pantilimon was ok before then but looked very dodgy afterwards. Bear in mind he is not going to be dropped, and we have to support him in this key position. He's played well recently too.

Positives - not many. Lolley very dangerous, Osborn doing his job as usual - it's always a worry when he's not on the pitch; a long long time since we've won a league game without him I bet and I don't think we'd have capitulated were he still playing. Carvalho is going to be one hell of a player - not ready for Championship football but worth carrying IMO..

All that said, lets not get carried away as we were a couple of minutes away from being in the playoffs tonight, and we can only improve. We were never going to win tonight it was obvious.

In defence of Gueddy and Colback tackling isn't a high priority in their assigned roles, especially on a night like tonight when they're largely bypassed.

Colback is to control space, press, intercept and win secondary balls. Gueddy is our 'quarterback', transitioning from defence to attack. Neither did those roles particularly well tonight but I think that's what Karanka wants from them.

It's not the end of the world and I don't think the reaction is due to a poor performance, but the style in which the performance was played out.

It was slow and ponderous and for me, bar 2 moments of magic, like the Birmingham game, like the reading game, it was horrible to watch from start to finish.

I'm absolutely not calling for the managers head and I'm not saying it can't be turned around, but I will absolutely call out negative tactics at home against a side 3rd from bottom while also being outplayed. This isn't a 1 off and in fact there have been far more performances like this than there have good ones, and as such, fans have every right to question it.

It's one thing waiting to click, it's another playing negatively with no intention of creating chances and putting teams lower than us to the sword.

As for tonight, Millwall can consider themselves unlucky not to have won but let's not worry too much yet. I've seen very good Forest sides full of internationals being bent over by long ball bastards. It's a long old season with plenty of twists and turns ahead and we'll be in the mix.

In defence of Gueddy and Colback tackling isn't a high priority in their assigned roles, especially on a night like tonight when they're largely bypassed.

Colback is to control space, press, intercept and win secondary balls. Gueddy is our 'quarterback', transitioning from defence to attack. Neither did those roles particularly well tonight but I think that's what Karanka wants from them.

I know where you're coming from buddy, but I can't let them off the hook so easy!

What you say is all part of their role, but they do also need to win the ball or pressure it so that they cannot use or shoot from this area of the pitch - we have been far too porous in this area this season, and it has made the defenders look poor, because there have been many occasions where they have had to step into this area to deal with problems and this has dragged them out of position.

He's playing them as a double pivot, and between them, through being organised, they are supposed to have every aspect off and on the ball covered, and they're both supposed to do it all - I know their skill sets are different, but all that defensive stuff that you say Colback is there to do, his partner is also meant to be doing in practice.

The two MCs this season are too often confused and disorganised as to which one should be doing what, and when.

Karanka won't stand for it for much longer.

I think Colback is the best midfielder at the club, but I really have to question why he is so negligent against Brentford, then Karanka brings in two replacements in his position, then suddenly he's playing brilliantly. I worry that he's doing the minimum. That there is a motivational issue. He needs to keep his effort up - some of the things he was doing against Brentford were a disgrace. Yet he's been brilliant since, bar tonight.

This season is going to be all about this position IMO.

played carvalho pushed right up cos obviously needs to try something to help grabban who still has not beaten a single player in what, 10 games now? Utter disgrace from day one. Carvalho goes and plays an absolute stinker, justifying my valuation of 2million quid tops lol We need strikers

Sorry lads about my outburst last night..the Red mist had enveloped me and completely took over my emotions.....calmness has now been restored and I'm ready for Boro with the best mates in the world....FTID

Even at 2-0 up you knew we would struggle. Milwall knee it too which is why their heads didn’t drop after the second goal.

Pants has has a few shaky moments in recent games and it has cost us tonight.

AK needs to get to grips with the side soon because the league will start to stretch and we could as easily find ourselves falling away as keeping pace.

As for tonight, Millwall can consider themselves unlucky not to have won but let's not worry too much yet. I've seen very good Forest sides full of internationals being bent over by long ball bastards. It's a long old season with plenty of twists and turns ahead and we'll be in the mix.

I think this sums it up perfectly CP, the first line that is. They outplayed all but for a few nifty moves and 2 very good goals. What I was angry about as I drove home was how niggly and moany we have become. Surrounding the ref and protestation is the number 1 rule in our game and its bloody awful to watch. I shouted "get on with it and shut your gob" to Colback last night. They are not at all endearing.

Lolley looked like the only decent player on the pitch from both sides. Gueddy put in that ever reliable Gueddy performance again last night. You are exactly righ about Gueddy and Colbacks roles. Unfortunately you need them to be consistent, something we know Ardelene lacks.

Pantz was again Pants. I pointed it out the other day and again last night, overall he was shit. Yes he pulled off a couple of decent stops but his distribution was dreadful and he was at fault in the goals.

We need to cut the ref haranguing out, control the middle and stop fucking about. Also Is there no chance of seeing Murphy and Grabban in the same team for 90 mins? Im not a 442 nutter but last night surely 2 forwards would have been better than 1.

I thought gueddy and Lilley were immense, but on the whole second best especially for the first 45 and last 20. I really worry for karanka if he couldn't see we needed Dawson at centre back. They had 3 clear headers in first 5 minds, and it got worse from there. It was obvious no one was going to beat there number 5 and 19 in the air but he stands there with his hands in pockets with a 6ft 5 inch former prem centre back on the bench who loves winning headers. Just brainless, def a game for your 2 tallest Centre backs, it was all about winning headers at the back.

Lost count of the number of times pants should have released the ball quickly for a break only to hold it, let them get back, then either pass it to them or straight out for them to throw in.
He truly had a shocker and it wouldn't surprise me to find out he'd been abusing substances before and during that match.
Ref was awful.
We were too slow in our build up and milwall should have been in the lead at half time.
Lucky to escape with a draw.

2 seasons in a row Millwall have been more deserving of the win.

The time wasting & stupid fouling makes a return & we cannot defend set pieces. Krankz needs to get on the training ground & work on that especially as game after game we’re giving away constant free kicks in areas we shouldn’t.

Krankz also needs to take his hands out his pockets & show some spunk on the touch line it’s not surprise we’re so dour & negative when he’s exuding all the charisma of a 3 day old lukewarm fish cake.

Individual players made mistakes & are getting the blame but from minute 1 we were not good enough & errors can be much more easily avoided if your teammates are on it. Who honestly played well last night? Lolz & that’s about it everyone else was too small & league 1 standard at best.

Im not a 442 nutter but last night surely 2 forwards would have been better than 1.

i agree with you there and also on geddy . we struggled to keep the ball up surely it would have made sense to have Murphy up there as well to add physicality . unfortunately karanka will never move away from the same formation.

Lolly is our only threat going at their defence,hope the hamstring doesn't keep him out too long