Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

I don't think there was a big screen replay - I missed the hand, could see Maguire straight at the lino then ref clearly indicating a hand, so I watched the screen to see what the issue was. It flashed 'goal' but showed nothing else until play restarted.

Unless the 4th official saw a replay and intervened, nothing was shown in the ground.
That’s right, they didn’t show a replay. The Lino and ref both appeared to give the goal and it was Maguire who protested aggressively to the Lino that it was handball. They had a chat and appear to communicate with the 4th official who couldn’t have seen a replay but he must have spotted the hand ball. I don’t think any Imps fans noticed it as it happened in a flash but watching the replay from the camera at the same angle as the 4th official did would then it looks obvious.
Just to clarify to anyone not there or watching we played a clear 4231 formation last night with N’Lundulu up on his own but stretching their defence by running the channels leaving Maguire spaces in the hole to pick up the ball and get us playing. Bishop and Fiorini played wider each side of Maguire and all 3 interchanged as the game went in. Formation suited the players and made us a solid unit and everyone looked as though they knew their role.
If Carlsberg did away days sort of night!

One thing I spotted, is, how do you spell Dan's name?
Is it N'Lundulu, or Nlundulu without the apostrophe and thus small l 2nd letter?

Not much to add to what's already been said. Their ground is far too big then and kills the atmosphere. All the Wigan fans I spoke to afterwards were very friendly and complimentary towards us, so maybe don't take an internet forum as representative of everyone 😉.

As for the game, I think it's what we've been calling for, finding a way to win, we played well at times but really dug in and refused to lose, a brilliant win against the odds. Special mention to big Dan who showed some good touches and worked his socks off. Also to Bishop and McGrandles, got stuck in and had a touch of quality. Don't think anyone was less than a 7.

I thought it was noticeable that we went forward a bit quicker and bit longer at times which seemed to work well mixed with the shorter more intricate stuff.

Scatter gun resume coming up - take cover ::grinning:

Soul less modern stadium - needs to be 80% full at least. Surprising lack of obvious corporate facilities (no boxes at all that I could see) for those that enjoy that sort of thing. Decent smattering of Imps - 300 was it? Different demographic to Saturday!!!!

Basically N'Lundulu is Bambi on ice at times and should have finished the game when it was 2-0 having done all the hard work. He is probably more effective without the ball than with at times as he harries and occupies the opposition defence and provides the much needed focal point in a central strikers area. However leaving aside the young man's development areas let's celebrate his performance - he took his goal very well, ran himself into the ground and HAS to play with the selection options we have currently. The difference was night and day and was why we had spells on top.

Talking of which we scored during our spells and they didn't. That was the difference today; as well as we had the luck. However the players earned it deservedly along with the win.

Griffiths had a bit of a shaky day with his decision making and assertiveness on crosses, all at seas at times. Thankfully the back four stood up manfully and on a wide, open and spacious pitch the whole team put in an incredible shift - not least Robson who must have stopped about four first half crosses. They had to mind, as we were still light weight in midfield but what they lacked in physical presence they made up for with proper graft and determination today. Some of the chasing and blocks were top drawer.

The space was a double edged sword as at least there was a bit more room for the likes of Bishop and Fiorini to not run up quite as many blind alleys as sometimes and they were better dribbling with the ball as a result.

We still need not to give the ball away needlessly which could have cost us dear again if our luck wasn't in. We're still not consistently pinging the ball as I would like but at times we did move it a bit quicker than lately - helped by the spacious areas?

TJ isn't as comfortable as Jackson in that left CH spot but after a slightly ropey start he really grew into the game and the battle. He looked a lot like his old self and you could see the confidence return, capped off by his goal. An excellent performance from him there.

A good night and excellent points return from two tricky away games. Only buggeration was that late conceding but heh I'll take that anytime.

Journey up was different. Only 20 miles but to avoid Hell on Earth, aka Manchester motorway ring road at rush (any) hour, the Sat Nav took me cross country which had quite a section of single lane switch backs that haven't been repaired since the Luftwaffe stopped strafing them. Even more bizarrely there were a procession of regular buses coming my way. That was fun as I inspected the local shrubbery close up several times.

They even had their own Dunham (Massey) toll bridge in the middle of nowhere which was doing a roaring trade at the princely sum of 12p a pop on the way out. Coming back was free as obviously at those rates it wasn't economically viable at 2230hrs.
You missed out what you had for lunch !!!!

Wigan were 3rd at the start of last nights game... did we beat any team placed that high at the time of the game last season? Portsmouth maybe were 3rd?

Wigan were 3rd at the start of last nights game... did we beat any team placed that high at the time of the game last season? Portsmouth maybe were 3rd?

And really they're top but for games not played...assuming they win games in hand 😁😁😁

That’s right, they didn’t show a replay. The Lino and ref both appeared to give the goal and it was Maguire who protested aggressively to the Lino that it was handball. They had a chat and appear to communicate with the 4th official who couldn’t have seen a replay but he must have spotted the hand ball. I don’t think any Imps fans noticed it as it happened in a flash but watching the replay from the camera at the same angle as the 4th official did would then it looks obvious.
Just to clarify to anyone not there or watching we played a clear 4231 formation last night with N’Lundulu up on his own but stretching their defence by running the channels leaving Maguire spaces in the hole to pick up the ball and get us playing. Bishop and Fiorini played wider each side of Maguire and all 3 interchanged as the game went in. Formation suited the players and made us a solid unit and everyone looked as though they knew their role.
If Carlsberg did away days sort of night!
I'd add to the sequence leading to the disallowing of their goal, the lack of replay in the ground was instructive? It would clearly have shown the handball. Should it also have been a red card, it was a blatant attempt to cheat which the scorer thought he'd got away with.

Good summary of the formation and how it worked, the interchanging of the '3' suited our players and gave Wigan different challenges.

I'd add to the sequence leading to the disallowing of their goal, the lack of replay in the ground was instructive?

I think there is a rule in place which prevents replays of anything controversial being shown on a big screen live in a stadium. Although who decides on the definition of 'controversial' is anyone's guess.

Must admit that the handball happened right in front of us and I can't think I heard anyone around me saying they had seen it..... yet the highlights video shows it as clear as day.