Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

I think there is a rule in place which prevents replays of anything controversial being shown on a big screen live in a stadium. Although who decides on the definition of 'controversial' is anyone's guess.

Must admit that the handball happened right in front of us and I can't think I heard anyone around me saying they had seen it..... yet the highlights video shows it as clear as day.

I think there is a rule in place which prevents replays of anything controversial being shown on a big screen live in a stadium. Although who decides on the definition of 'controversial' is anyone's guess.

Must admit that the handball happened right in front of us and I can't think I heard anyone around me saying they had seen it..... yet the highlights video shows it as clear as day.

From last night, the controversy rule is defined as anything that makes the home team look like numpties.

We saw the hand ball. We were looking straight a it through the netting.

It happened very quickly but it was a whole bare arm, Maradona style, nudging the ball into the net. The only issue was thinking about whose arm it was attached to and once you realised it didn't have a yellow sleeve attached it we were shouting out that it was hand ball.

They mainly replayed Wigan attacks in the Stadium. In fact I am not sure they even replayed the Lincoln goals.

They mainly replayed Wigan attacks in the Stadium. In fact I am not sure they even replayed the Lincoln goals.
I can confirm they quickly replayed our opener which is a strong tell the camerara team knew about the handball 'equaliser'.

I was still celebrating our second and forgot to check, so I can't say either way for TJ's.

First live match of the season for me last night really enjoyed it, thought we played really well against a decent outfi.

Must admit I did not notice the handball and neither did the ref or Lino originally but we got to the correct decision eventually.

Every player had a decent game and I thought Lewis and TJ handled all the crosses sent in really well.

First time I have been to the DW Stadium and I was impressed with it excellent view and decent facilities.

All in all an excellent night out.

First live match of the season for me last night really enjoyed it, thought we played really well against a decent outfi.

Must admit I did not notice the handball and neither did the ref or Lino originally but we got to the correct decision eventually.

Every player had a decent game and I thought Lewis and TJ handled all the crosses sent in really well.

First time I have been to the DW Stadium and I was impressed with it excellent view and decent facilities.

All in all an excellent night out.

Yes really liked the stadium too.
Plenty of room for us all. Big contrast to Hillsborough which was cramped (and not just because of how many of us there were...there was just nowhere near enough leg room).
Also felt safe in Wigan stadium, it was not safe at Hillsborough (reference the various falls our fans had) and given the history of Hillsborough, that is really pretty appalling that spectator safety is still not dealt with.

Parking was really easy last night too, always a bonus.

Yes really liked the stadium too.
Plenty of room for us all. Big contrast to Hillsborough which was cramped (and not just because of how many of us there were...there was just nowhere near enough leg room).
Also felt safe in Wigan stadium, it was not safe at Hillsborough (reference the various falls our fans had) and given the history of Hillsborough, that is really pretty appalling that spectator safety is still not dealt with.

Parking was really easy last night too, always a bonus.
It's a funny one really. I agree with everything that is being said about the benefits of the modern Wigan ground and the drawbacks/concerns regarding Hillsborough. However it's still counter intuitively no contest for me personally; Hillsborough every day of the week.

That main stand with the gable roof, absolutely glorious. When Goodison goes there won't be many grounds left like that. I understand the reservations some people have, but the older grounds have a warmth to them whilst many modern grounds are just tinny and hollow.

It's a funny one really. I agree with everything that is being said about the benefits of the modern Wigan ground and the drawbacks/concerns regarding Hillsborough. However it's still counter intuitively no contest for me personally; Hillsborough every day of the week.

That main stand with the gable roof, absolutely glorious. When Goodison goes there won't be many grounds left like that. I understand the reservations some people have, but the older grounds have a warmth to them whilst many modern grounds are just tinny and hollow.

And hopefully won't be too long before Goodison goes. Another ground that needs getting rid of.

On the Vitals Wigan site the natives are still arguing the toss over the disallowed handball goal with a few claiming it was wrong that the ref should have changed his mind after at first giving a goal. No one seems to have mentioned that the cheating bar steward who punched it in celebrated the ‘goal’ and acted stunned when he was booked. On replay it looks more Maradona than the real one. That is up there as one of the worst cases of blatant cheating we will ever see and he nearly got away with it.

On the Vitals Wigan site the natives are still arguing the toss over the disallowed handball goal with a few claiming it was wrong that the ref should have changed his mind after at first giving a goal. No one seems to have mentioned that the cheating bar steward who punched it in celebrated the ‘goal’ and acted stunned when he was booked. On replay it looks more Maradona than the real one. That is up there as one of the worst cases of blatant cheating we will ever see and he nearly got away with it.
Maybe Wigan's next opponents should try the same tactic as clearly Wigan's players and supporters will accept the goal against them without any protest.

Some astonishing mental gymnastics on that page - it's bad for the integrity of the game that the ref gave handball but potentially didn't see it in real time, even though it was a blatant handball, however perfectly fine/not worth considering the 'integrity of the game' in regards to the the Wigan player that slapped it in and then ran off like he'd delivered a bullet header.