Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

Just finished watching the full match reply on iFollow:

Overall: Thought Lincoln were very good. It's clear what our philosophy is as a team. Be organised without the ball and then when we do get it it's clear we commit players forward quickly and play quick a quick passing game. On a similar note, it's good to see players taking risks in playing forward/through balls even when they don't come off. Thought we did a lot of the latter which was good.

Players that stood out: Thought Nludulu played well up front on his own. Took his goal well but also tracked back and imposed himself on defenders which paid off a number of times in the game (i.e. in terms of interceptions.)

Thought Sorensen played well (my MOM just about.) In the first half particularly he was the one who's forward balls seemed the most accurate and cutting, he also looked the most likely to set the tempo (more on this below...) Thought Maguire did similar in the second half, albeit playing further forward obviously.

In a team that lacks a bit of steel, thought Poole added that for us throughout the 90. I.e. what he might lack in technical quality he made up for in terms of physicality and presence.

Negatives: As in previous games, our midfield struggled to impose itself and set the tempo. Wigan (as other teams have done) played through them often. I don't this is necessarily about being dirty, or even being overly physical but we need a player or two (maybe a bit like a more progressive Bridcutt) who can get their foot on the ball, keep it, help firm up our midfield and give a bit of presence and authority. Maybe Sorensen could become that player?

Overall: Thought Lincoln were very good. It's clear what our philosophy is as a team. Be organised without the ball and then when we do get it it's clear we commit players forward quickly and play quick a quick passing game. On a similar note, it's good to see players taking risks in playing forward/through balls even when they don't come off. Thought we did a lot of the latter which was good.

Players that stood out: Thought Nludulu played well up front on his own. Took his goal well but also tracked back and imposed himself on defenders which paid off a number of times in the game (i.e. in terms of interceptions.)

Thought Sorensen played well (my MOM just about.) In the first half particularly he was the one who's forward balls seemed the most accurate and cutting, he also looked the most likely to set the tempo (more on this below...) Thought Maguire did similar in the second half, albeit playing further forward obviously.

In a team that lacks a bit of steel, thought Poole added that for us throughout the 90. I.e. what he might lack in technical quality he made up for in terms of physicality and presence.

Negatives: As in previous games, our midfield struggled to impose itself and set the tempo. Wigan (as other teams have done) played through them often. I don't this is necessarily about being dirty, or even being overly physical but we need a player or two (maybe a bit like a more progressive Bridcutt) who can get their foot on the ball, keep it, help firm up our midfield and give a bit of presence and authority. Maybe Sorensen could become that player?

I was hoping that might be Sanders……

I think Jules upset them last season. Poor lambs
It was actually me, through the medium of the Season Preview, and Jules got involved with some of them afterwards. One of them came on site and tried to tell us we had everything wrong; we were typical idiots with no understanding of how well-run their club had been; how they had been shafted by the new owner; and how the football family should rally round and donate money to keep them going.

When I explained that the figures in the Season Preview were taken straight from their own published accounts; that £46 million in debt for a club with average gates of 10,000 was not at all indicative of a well-run club; and that those debts were incurred long before the new owner had even heard of Wigan Athletic, everything went a bit quiet.

They seem genuinely unaware that they would never have left the bottom two divisions had it not been for Uncle Dave spending eyewatering money to buy them a new stadium, the FA Cup and a place in the Premier League. Can you imagine how they would have fared without him, at dilapidated, 1920s Springfield Park? Grimsby Town would be a fair comparison.

What the Whelan years have done is generate a sense of self-entitlement that borders on the deluded. Some of us were around when they were a nothing club in the Northern Premier League, playing the likes of Netherfield and Great Harwood every week. They also seem unaware that Lincoln City - that dreadful little club they have just lost to for the third time in a row - were in the Football League 86 years before them.

Presumably they will be roaring their eyes out (again) in a year or two when the financial waste hits the accountancy fan (again), and calling on us all to support their fantastic, well-run, not-at-all-spending-beyond-their-means club (again).

On the subject of the handball, it was brilliantly taken; directing the ball into the net from that position takes a dedicated cheat at the top of his game. Sammie Smalldick, eat your heart out.

It was actually me, through the medium of the Season Preview, and Jules got involved with some of them afterwards. One of them came on site and tried to tell us we had everything wrong; we were typical idiots with no understanding of how well-run their club had been; how they had been shafted by the new owner; and how the football family should rally round and donate money to keep them going.

When I explained that the figures in the Season Preview were taken straight from their own published accounts; that £46 million in debt for a club with average gates of 10,000 was not at all indicative of a well-run club; and that those debts were incurred long before the new owner had even heard of Wigan Athletic, everything went a bit quiet.

They seem genuinely unaware that they would never have left the bottom two divisions had it not been for Uncle Dave spending eyewatering money to buy them a new stadium, the FA Cup and a place in the Premier League. Can you imagine how they would have fared without him, at dilapidated, 1920s Springfield Park? Grimsby Town would be a fair comparison.

What the Whelan years have done is generate a sense of self-entitlement that borders on the deluded. Some of us were around when they were a nothing club in the Northern Premier League, playing the likes of Netherfield and Great Harwood every week. They also seem unaware that Lincoln City - that dreadful little club they have just lost to for the third time in a row - were in the Football League 86 years before them.

Presumably they will be roaring their eyes out (again) in a year or two when the financial waste hits the accountancy fan (again), and calling on us all to support their fantastic, well-run, not-at-all-spending-beyond-their-means club (again).

On the subject of the handball, it was brilliantly taken; directing the ball into the net from that position takes a dedicated cheat at the top of his game. Sammie Smalldick, eat your heart out.
Did (or can) any of the technologically gifted on here get a freeze frame of the 'hand of dog' incident? Might make a lovely screen saver for the Wigan fans?

That's why I dislike these types of club that had a rise up the leagues on the back of a vanity project of some rich individual. Thirty years on and they're all Billy big bolloks. Looking down on little old Lincoln.
I re-read some of their match thread. Things I picked- up on.
Trying to deride the size of our support without bothering to check the respective home gates.
Some cretins calling on the ref to be disciplined for getting the handball decision right.
Last week they were beaten by good MK team, but on Tuesday lost to a shit Lincoln team. Inexcusable.
They really have got a blind spot on the link between their success and financial advantage. How awful it was that no one took pity on them last season when they had no money but now that they have, paAeople are jealous of their position.
Welcome to the real world Wigan. For most clubs it is not the norm to be bankrolled, clubs have to struggle with what they have. Wigan had one season without some kind of artificial prop. They can't see why well run clubs might be critical of their shameless profligacy.
I suppose sickening fans like them made that win all the sweeter.

That's why I dislike these types of club that had a rise up the leagues on the back of a vanity project of some rich individual. Thirty years on and they're all Billy big bolloks. Looking down on little old Lincoln.
I re-read some of their match thread. Things I picked- up on.
Trying to deride the size of our support without bothering to check the respective home gates.
Some cretins calling on the ref to be disciplined for getting the handball decision right.
Last week they were beaten by good MK team, but on Tuesday lost to a shit Lincoln team. Inexcusable.
They really have got a blind spot on the link between their success and financial advantage. How awful it was that no one took pity on them last season when they had no money but now that they have, paAeople are jealous of their position.
Welcome to the real world Wigan. For most clubs it is not the norm to be bankrolled, clubs have to struggle with what they have. Wigan had one season without some kind of artificial prop. They can't see why well run clubs might be critical of their shameless profligacy.
I suppose sickening fans like them made that win all the sweeter.
I think you are mixing up a number of things.

All clubs are open to having unappointed spokesmen. ie fans who talk rubbish - we might even have some. We might even be some of them.

All clubs have fans who deride other clubs size - (I read we should win our FA cup tie by a score in excess of our record score, 11-1? against little Bowers and Pitsea, on this very forum).

All clubs need significant backing from owners - but why is the amount put in proportionate to the vanity of the backers?
Surely the motives of the backers not their wealth is the important thing.

All clubs have a proportion of fans who can't bring themselves to admitting when their side succeed in conning the referees.

Seem to remember a certain loan player gaining a number of dubious penalties last season - that were nailed on in the view of some because he wore a Lincoln shirt.

... the only difference is those people that follow our club are fortunate to have a recently well run club.

Yes - the EFL allow clubs to spend till they go bust and then repeat. That's what sticks in the throat.

The rest is just the bilge of a proportion of all clubs supporters.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd add to this part of the discussion is that practically every club is bank-rolled to some extent, including this one. The only difference is in the size of it.

So Brentford, Bournemouth (and maybe to a lesser extent) Brighton are able to compete at a level way beyond what their size would otherwise allow. The owners of those particular B-clubs are into them for well over £100 million each.

Another B, Bolton - like their upstart neighbours Wigan, also thought it would never happen to them. So did Bury.

As there is a limited pool of available players and a constant demand for success it is practically impossible for any club beyond the very elite of Europe to do anything other than lose substantial amounts of money. But even mighty Barcelona have fallen foul of that.

When a club is run like fans actually say they would like it to be run, sustainably, like Ashley at Newcastle or Fenty at Grimsby for that matter (or Lincoln City in 1982), they are subject to practically intolerable abuse.

This is because a large number of football supporters are utterly loathsome. However, anyone getting into owning a football club must know this and it's hard to have too much sympathy with many of them; a motley collection of narcissists and egomaniacs. Obviously our current ownership does not fall into any of these categories.

Our latest trip to the Dave-Whelan-a-Drome shows the opposite to our experience, but they got an FA Cup win out of it and more recognition than could ever have been thought possible, so you'd think those Wigan fans would just be grateful for that. But no.

The only thing I'd add to this part of the discussion is that practically every club is bank-rolled to some extent, including this one. The only difference is in the size of it.

So Brentford, Bournemouth (and maybe to a lesser extent) Brighton are able to compete at a level way beyond what their size would otherwise allow. The owners of those particular B-clubs are into them for well over £100 million each.

Another B, Bolton - like their upstart neighbours Wigan, also thought it would never happen to them. So did Bury.

As there is a limited pool of available players and a constant demand for success it is practically impossible for any club beyond the very elite of Europe to do anything other than lose substantial amounts of money. But even mighty Barcelona have fallen foul of that.

When a club is run like fans actually say they would like it to be run, sustainably, like Ashley at Newcastle or Fenty at Grimsby for that matter (or Lincoln City in 1982), they are subject to practically intolerable abuse.

This is because a large number of football supporters are utterly loathsome. However, anyone getting into owning a football club must know this and it's hard to have too much sympathy with many of them; a motley collection of narcissists and egomaniacs. Obviously our current ownership does not fall into any of these categories.

Our latest trip to the Dave-Whelan-a-Drome shows the opposite to our experience, but they got an FA Cup win out of it and more recognition than could ever have been thought possible, so you'd think those Wigan fans would just be grateful for that. But no.

Crikey, and people think I'm a miserable old curmudgeon. 😆

Forgot to mention about Wigan, thought Steven Humphrys looked a very good player. Seems to have a variety of good attributes going on, think according to their commentators he came in for the injured Wyke. Seem to remember him playing well against us for Rochdale last season too?

I think you are mixing up a number of things.

All clubs are open to having unappointed spokesmen. ie fans who talk rubbish - we might even have some. We might even be some of them.

All clubs have fans who deride other clubs size - (I read we should win our FA cup tie by a score in excess of our record score, 11-1? against little Bowers and Pitsea, on this very forum).

All clubs need significant backing from owners - but why is the amount put in proportionate to the vanity of the backers?
Surely the motives of the backers not their wealth is the important thing.

All clubs have a proportion of fans who can't bring themselves to admitting when their side succeed in conning the referees.

Seem to remember a certain loan player gaining a number of dubious penalties last season - that were nailed on in the view of some because he wore a Lincoln shirt.

... the only difference is those people that follow our club are fortunate to have a recently well run club.

Yes - the EFL allow clubs to spend till they go bust and then repeat. That's what sticks in the throat.

The rest is just the bilge of a proportion of all clubs supporters.

I have to say I don't know what things you think I am mixing up?
Your post doesn't add anything and doesn't change anything. What I said still stands from my point if view.
I was making specific comments in relation to comments on the Wigan board. Is that not deemed relevant any more on a board such as this because all fans are the same, at the end of the day it's all bullshit because all football supporters are morons.
You have responded with a lot of platitudes that anyone who follows football is aware of.
Maybe all fans do deride smaller followings but saying we are going to wup Bowers is not a like for like comparison to saying City fans would fit on a skateboard.
I personally don't give a crap about the motives of the owners of clubs like Fleetwood, Fylde, Salford or Rushden and Diamonds. Just don't ask me to like them.
Of course we have financial backing, but it's all about relative degrees. We are not a sugar daddy club. We even get blown out of the water by Wycombe for God's sake.
Well I never, fans are partisan, but not all are apply to win by cheating. Even some Lincoln fans. I was just pointing out how ludicrous it was to suggest that a ref be disciplined for getting a decision indisputably right.
Maybe this is just more bilge. It seems there are a few posters on here who are rather heavily into supercilious sanctimony. Their posts are holyer than thou. I will now go and join the unwashed hordes of football fans who are destined to live forever in ignorance.

Last edited: