Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

We are literally down to the bare bones, this season the luck has gone against us in the second half of the season, we are left with Scully as the front man, who has had a good season but because of his height will always struggle to be a hold up man.

The spine of the team has been ripped out through injury and covid at certain points. If luck had been with us the bench/squad players would have had the problems (no disrespect or ill wish meant) . If we have a financially viable club coming out of covid I will be a happy man.

Too many injuries to key players, then another Covid outbreak this week, others had effects of Covid but weren’t positive - so we had some playing who were under the weather tonight. Nothing running for us, another p poor referee who bottled the key decisions.
Our luck must turn soon

That's pretty much what was said when the released list was done last summer. We have the base of a better squad already and with a few decent extras added, we'll be a challenger again
I think there's always plenty of quality players knocking about in the Championship/Premiership U-23 squads, and I have faith in MA being able to get them here. I'm just pissed off we've had a golden opportunity this year and fucked it up.

We have a small squad, but players like Archibald and Roughan, who could contribute, have seemingly been ostracised when they could be adding some value, however limited. What's the point of having players on the bench who you've no intention of playing? And why have you no intention of playing them?

Jones needs to go. Not even remotely Championship standard, as I think was suggested when he signed.
I think the lack of minutes on the pitch tells you what MApp thinks and that’s after our injuries have taken most of the regulars out
I’d guess he’ll be allowed to leave in the summer

That's pretty much what was said when the released list was done last summer. We have the base of a better squad already and with a few decent extras added, we'll be a challenger again
I can see us having a season next year much like Oxford have had this.

Leaving aside the disappointment of the league position slipping away, I would rather look at the overall situation.

I will be surprised if there have been many younger Lincoln sides than that which played the second half.

I can see what the players are trying to do in a positive, exciting and structured way. Today the passes weren't there, the defence got bullied at times but in the final analysis it was small margins where a defensive error and the drop of the ball was the only difference between a point and a defeat.

I can see a clear structure as to where this side is going and with youth on their side they will get stronger, smarter, more consistent and polished.

Another transfer window is required and if MA gets that right and we have some luck with injuries, we are not far away from having a side that can really blossom next season.

In the short term, take a much needed rest and then scrap like dogs for the remaining 27 points. Form is a fickle mistress and injuries are crippling us but there is a play off spot to be had still and then you just never know.
All I will say is that you are being extremely charitable.

Sky backing our opposition, again...

Just catching up on thread.
Oh my god. Who was the sky commentator?? He was most obviously an Oxford fan from Oxford supporting Oxford the entire game. "Oxford need to win this" over and over and over and over again.
Appleton only got a mention for having been Oxford manager.
It was so so annoying. Arrgghhhhh

just on that game, overall we we slightly second best. especially the second half. When the ball went into our penalty area, it was like i darent look. anything could happen, and we just weren't commanding enough. But take nothing away from Oxford as they have some very good players and you can't go giving the ball away to them like we did time and time again.
I thought Bramhall played very well, Rogers and Edun were good. Montsma was decent. Eyoma filled in very well at centre back.
I'm wondering if we are going to get the opportunity to keep Rogers next year for a full season. He's still young and would benefit all the more for getting a regular start rather than stepping up to the championship just yet.

See the usual are out and gunning.

That Was an EFL Trophy group stage team out in 2nd half and it showed.

Missing two most experienced centre backs, the division's best defensive and creative midfielders, a striker who holds the ball up beautifully and one of the best young attacking talents in this league.

Factor in players feeling the effects of covid and fatigue ( Jones, Montsma, TJ, H) and thats almost a whole team.

One sloppy moment for the second goal, an injury and rough side of some poor refereeing have cost us.

Auto gone, need to hold on to for the play offs and get those missing players back.

We're still well ahead of where everyone predicted. Celebrate that.

I'm not normally one to knock refs, but he was shocking tonight - players got away with persistent fouling and deliberate time wasting. The Oxford players were pretty blatant in doing both and barely anything was done about it.