Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 38 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

I was too disappointed last night to look or post on here. Not because of the result or performance, but because of the situation we find ourselves in. Little old Lincoln, so close to the Championship but now it all seems to be falling away.

Then I was chatting to my mum just now about the Imps and I feel she summed up our current situation perfectly in 5 words - it's a funny old game. It's totally true. Not just in the context of last night (what if they'd been given a peno? or the handball before their equaliser had been given? or Bridcutt wasn't injured? or they'd got reds instead of yellows? or we hadn't conceded a sloppy second goal?) but also for the season.

Pre-season I thought us having a sniff of the playoffs with a few games to go would be an amazing result, then I thought we might win the league, then it would be a top 2 place at least. Now, with the injuries/Covid hitting key players, my heart says promotion has gone and I'm disappointed about the same scenario I would've been amazed with pre-season. My head then reminds my heart that the playoffs are still there to be had and I'm looking forward to the next game again.

None of us know how the end of the season will pan out, whether we'll continue to lose and draw, or whether we'll end up playing at Wembley and be 90 mins away from the Championship. But whatever happens, right now I think we've got many reasons to feel positive about Lincoln City.

For God's sake, where did I say that Rogers was a bad signing? I said that the recruitment needs to be much better. I didn't say that every single person we brought in is bad. I've made my thoughts pretty clear. Can you read without jumping to conclusions?
Can you read without getting exasperated?Tell me which were bad signings in January and what justification do you have for stating this?

Exactly this. Just a shame a significant minority on here are too fucking stupid to see it.

Says the man who repeated an unbelievable level of bulls**t about Callum Connelly

[IMG]https://forums-cdn.vitalfootball.co.uk/data/avatars/m/10/10125.jpg?1538136830[/IMG]
SAToffeeImp
Vital Youth Team
Jan 7, 2020

Mattytindraws said:
If the rumours are true, we’ve been paying him an eye watering amount. Admittedly it’s a percentage of his wages but he was rumoured to be amongst the top 2 or 3 earners on the books prior to going.
What absolute crap.

Can you read without getting exasperated?Tell me which were bad signings in January and what justification do you have for stating this?
I already have. Read the thread. What justification? Maybe the circa 15% win rate and poor individual performances since they joined.

I already have. Read the thread. What justification? Maybe the circa 15% win rate and poor individual performances since they joined.
Cause or coincidence?

Its coincided with the injuries, illness and covid which I'd suggest is the principal cause.

Will not criticise last night or any other performance this season for that matter , no side can cover for the injuries and virus which have decimated key members of the team for long periods , bad luck goes no where near to describe what has happened to the squad over recent weeks . Just beeping sorry we cannot get to SB to give our support when they most need it. Looks like we will be starting next season in Div 1 , but would have bitten your hand off 4/5 years ago for that ! , time to re group and come back stronger next season with a full SB and give the so called bigger sides a run for their money.
UTI.

I really believe we miss Grant terribly. His influence and ability this season has been the main reason we are where we are. Our passing ability jn recent games has been woeful. Despite the undoubted great achievement of the first half of the season, its disappointjng to see such a lack of form in the current side. Its likely down to confidence mostly I guess.

Grant is a talent way above our level
So yes a huge miss

So, it's all down to the new signings?

No time on the training pitch to get on method, no pre-season . Think Tom Pett, think Jorge Grant last season , think Taiyo Edun, who didn't exactly set the world alight early doors, even after a,unusually short, pre-season?

Keep things in perspective and stay humble! Over and out #UTI

So, it's all down to the new signings?

No time on the training pitch to get on method, no pre-season . Think Tom Pett, think Jorge Grant last season , think Taiyo Edun, who didn't exactly set the world alight early doors, even after a,unusually short, pre-season?

Keep things in perspective and stay humble! Over and out #UTI
And, of course, it's a good job we have some new players! Without them we might be struggling to fulfill our fixtures.
No doubt this season is looking like an excellent opportunity going begging, next season league 1 will be more difficult. I suspect we don't have the resources to mix it with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, though I hope we find a way.

And, of course, it's a good job we have some new players! Without them we might be struggling to fulfill our fixtures.
No doubt this season is looking like an excellent opportunity going begging, next season league 1 will be more difficult. I suspect we don't have the resources to mix it with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, though I hope we find a way.

To re-purpose an old joke, we don't have to run faster than Sheffield Wednesday, we just have to run faster than the team finishing 6th. ;)

To re-purpose an old joke, we don't have to run faster than Sheffield Wednesday, we just have to run faster than the team finishing 6th. ;)

We've still to have the EFL's "independent panel" cancel Wednesday's points deduction on the grounds on them being a big club who really shouldn't be made to play in the pub team division.