Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

Sadly, I think we're done for. A small squad just can't deal with so many missing and such a congested season.
Not good enough for 80 minutes for sure. Not sure we can expect much else for the remaining games. No ones fault, just the fickled finger of fate has dealt us a pretty shitty hand of late.

Nothing much to write home about apart from we are architects of our own downfall (again).

When we need to stabalise the ship a little and away from home why on earth take a quick free kick from the back. Surely, we should get set before proceeding.

At this rate we'll be lucky to make the playoffs.
That’s the most frustrating part from me the lack of communication or game management is ridiculous
The players need to take responsibility for that
We need to stop playing like it’s a training session and get our heads in it

Small margins I thought tonight. Ball fell nicely for their two goals, but less so when it happened for us.

I am resigned to being in League 1 next season, but plenty to suggest we can be there or thereabouts again this time next year
I don't know. I think oxford would've put up more of a fight had we gone 2-1 up. We went out without even a whimper. Second half for Oxford was the easiest half I've seen in many a year. We were as threatening as a wet paper bag.

I do not think we will even trouble the play offs injuries have killed us, we were very poor second half apart from Anderson’s chance we created nothing,.

Oxford were poor themselves second half but still beat us can see us not winning another game this season.

I think players like Jones will not be here next season just not good enough for a team challenging at the top of League 1.

Edun Impresses more each week really tries and is very skilful.

Unfortunately, injuries all at the wrong time to key experienced players. And the wrong time being that run of 6/7 "easier" games. Smallish squad and no plan B. And silly points dropped.

Fingers crossed we can still get play offs but I personally gave up on that 3 weeks ago.

Another game where our lack of numbers have stifled our creativity. No excuses for the poor passing though, and just didn't look up for it after they got their second. Have to regroup and with a change and some luck get into the playoffs.

I know, shocking that people are pissed off about throwing away a 1-0 lead...
It's OK though because people will just keep saying "Look where we were 5 years ago" as if that has any relevance to us now having a left back who can't successfully receive a pass unless the opposition are 50 foot away, a player who just can't be arsed to play for us (Jones), a goalkeeper who has seemingly gone from Championship level to non league level in the last few months and a team that has no idea how to take or defend set pieces.

Nothing much to write home about apart from we are architects of our own downfall (again).

When we need to stabalise the ship a little and away from home why on earth take a quick free kick from the back. Surely, we should get set before proceeding.

At this rate we'll be lucky to make the playoffs.
Don’t think we will.But it’s been coming since we lost the first choice players.

Last edited:
Small margins I thought tonight. Ball fell nicely for their two goals, but less so when it happened for us.

I am resigned to being in League 1 next season, but plenty to suggest we can be there or thereabouts again this time next year

I'm not so confident as you are, players return to parent club and some decisions to be made on squad size and rebuilding either bringing new loans or dealing with injury prone players.

But, but, you can't say that.

Who said you can’t say it? Would be quite disheartening if we all agreed. Disappointing to lose but a bigger picture is playing a part in how the season is unfolding. Criticising a team that Is down to the bare bones, feeling unwell pre match - trying to be a bit more reflective overall.

Leaving aside the disappointment of the league position slipping away, I would rather look at the overall situation.

I will be surprised if there have been many younger Lincoln sides than that which played the second half.

I can see what the players are trying to do in a positive, exciting and structured way. Today the passes weren't there, the defence got bullied at times but in the final analysis it was small margins where a defensive error and the drop of the ball was the only difference between a point and a defeat.

I can see a clear structure as to where this side is going and with youth on their side they will get stronger, smarter, more consistent and polished.

Another transfer window is required and if MA gets that right and we have some luck with injuries, we are not far away from having a side that can really blossom next season.

In the short term, take a much needed rest and then scrap like dogs for the remaining 27 points. Form is a fickle mistress and injuries are crippling us but there is a play off spot still to be had, and then you just never know.

Last edited: