Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

We have won the last 5 at home with some superb football. Tonight we were out done by a big physical, direct side who were streetwise in everything they did.

I just felt we could have boosted the midfield up tonight as they broke up play at nearly every opportunity, however we were our own worst enemy at times with some very poor passing.

Let’s not forget this Pompey side has been expensively assembled - we just have to accept at times we are completely up against it. It’s time to find some middle ground that we aren’t quite as good when we win and not quite as bad when we lose.

A young side will have good days and bad days. They'll be inconsistent and more often than not, struggle against the more seasoned pros of an Ipswich or Portsmouth.

Our season isn't going to be defined by the last two results, but will be with the next two - Southend and MK - before we hit another tricky one in Rotherham.

Rotherham is before MK but it's a very valid point you make

Spot on the players coming in are not as good as the players they are replacing a worrying trend.
As others have said, that's an unfair call on new players still bedding in.

Out two most experienced players had poor games. We clearly missed the dynamism of Toff on the left, I'd question MA's decision to leave Elbouzedi on the bench as his pace might have asked different questions.

That's two tough games out of the way, and tough lessons for the new players, who might have looked good against Shrewsbury, Bolton and Blackpool but have now come up against two of the strongest sides in the division, lost to both but outplayed by neither.

They need a result on Saturday though as another toughie awaits a week Friday.

I'm the very definition of a plastic fan, but after reading the reactions to that admittedly dreadful performance I can honestly say that the drama queens certainly weren't in the Portsmouth team, they're mostly on here.

They're not going to play well every week and after the recent run of good home results are surely allowed a bad night.

Fickle is too small a word to describe most posters on here this evening. Absolutely shameful and those of you have been like that tonight are far worse than the players you're criticising just because you had 90 minutes you didn't like.

Boo hoo.
I’m criticising because there seemed to be a lack of effort. For me Hesketh was our best player because he was the most willing to try something. It was all a bit tired and just trying to get through the 90 mins

Of course there can be nights where your effort doesn’t pay off and you lose unfortunately. But tonight wasn’t one of them. Tonight the players didn’t do their jobs very well.

You try going to stakeholders in your work saying oh I did well last week so I’m not going to bother today. Tell us how it goes will you?

Well that was dreadful. I didn’t go to the Oxford match but for me that was the worst performance since the dire pre Cowley era. Portsmouth were solid and did a great job on us. Another stupid goal bang on half time. From my position Josh looked very badly placed leaving too much of the goal to his left. Messing about at the back again caused ourselves numerous problems throughout the game especially with Portsmouth pressing us hard. Anderson hardly had a look in all game so no surprise that he came off. On a positive, I thought Hopper showed some good touches although he is clearly not a target man and Tyler proved what a talent he is. Just pray he doesn’t return to Forest. Morrell was easily mom again. Oh well, Sarfend on Saturday. Need to forget tonight and go again. UTI.

You try going to stakeholders in your work saying oh I did well last week so I’m not going to bother today. Tell us how it goes will you?

When you go to your place of work tomorrow Imps2018 you can do your job without having to contend with someone else opposite you whose job it is specifically to prevent you doing yours.

I never like to criticise a perceived lack of effort, it's very hard to say that's happening, often it's just a lack of confidence, and I don't believe that will have been the case tonight.

Portsmouth were just better and their performance was very similar to the type of showing Lincoln often put in under the Cowleys. Unspectacular but solid, energetic and with enough quality to make sure they came out on top.

I’m criticising because there seemed to be a lack of effort. For me Hesketh was our best player because he was the most willing to try something. It was all a bit tired and just trying to get through the 90 mins

Of course there can be nights where your effort doesn’t pay off and you lose unfortunately. But tonight wasn’t one of them. Tonight the players didn’t do their jobs very well.

You seriously think that result and performance was down to lack of effort?

Dire, cannot recall if we have had a shot on target throughout the entire game. Gates may suffer if we keep serving this up at home.

In the context of the previous 5 games which we won, I’m not sure where the ‘keep serving this up at home’ comes from? It’s a one off at the moment. Home performances this season have, with a couple of exceptions’ been far better than the period between Christmas and the end of the season last year. Let’s worry about it if we’ve been utterly abject against MK Dons in a couple of weeks time.

Last edited:
Well that felt like two massive steps back tonight. You can't expect to win all your home games, but you certainly expect much better than that. I could easily copy and paste my ramblings from half time.

Portsmouth deservedly won, but, really offered very little going forward. They were organised, physical and a well drilled team. They won the majority of second balls. Against a better performance, we would have been battered.

Two more set piece goals coming from a silly free kick and playing out from the back. Extremely disappointing.

Tactics were poor today, we played very much into their hands; pass it to Bolger or Shackell they whack up top where John-Jules and Hopper have little chance of winning the header. The ball comes straight back at us. They win every second ball. Very much a thankless task being a Lincoln striker today. Painfully, we stuck at the tactic for the entirety of the match.

The few times we've had ball at feet, the passing has been dreadful. Simple passes wayward. Movement off the ball was non-existent. I actually felt sorry for Bolger and Shackell at times because they had no options available. We needed Eardley and Melbourne to offer more going forward. In our previous games we looked most dangerous on the wings, but we currently have no wingers.

90 minutes of football and we created one good chance and failed to make the keeper do anything during the entirety of the game. Too many basic errors. I understand we're in a transition period, but I expect us to play better than that.

We have won the last 5 at home with some superb football. Tonight we were out done by a big physical, direct side who were streetwise in everything they did.

I just felt we could have boosted the midfield up tonight as they broke up play at nearly every opportunity, however we were our own worst enemy at times with some very poor passing.

Let’s not forget this Pompey side has been expensively assembled - we just have to accept at times we are completely up against it. It’s time to find some middle ground that we aren’t quite as good when we win and not quite as bad when we lose.
Spot on we'll have more performances like this against very experienced and expensive clubs
A couple of mistakes cost us at this level
I think the issue we face is our midfield looks very small and lightweight which makes restarts an issue in not immediately keeping the ball and chasing possession
Seen both Pompey games and think they'll struggle to get promoted this season
I'll predict we play them and that friggin bell next season in L1
Uti

Thought the other CB Burgess also looked a very good player.

We on the other hand have Cian Bolger.
Thought Bolger did ok tonight, it was his CB partner who had more moments. Bolger did have that 'incident' near the end but the pass he had to deal with wasn't just 'hospital' but 'intensive care'.

But yes, we were second best to Raggs and Burgess, that's what money buys you.

Thought the other CB Burgess also looked a very good player.

We on the other hand have Cian Bolger.
Yes, Burgess was outstanding as well in the reverse fixture at Fratton Park. Probably he and Raggett the best CB pairing in L1.

Bristol vs Bolton finished 1-1

I know you're not f***ing interested but I said I'd put the scores up and I am. :LOL:

Two poor results and we've only dropped 1 place in the table. We've time to turn it around yet when we play lesser teams (on paper) than ourselves.

Keep the faith. We're a victim of our own success, we've won things and been promoted. Great for us fans but also a stepping stone for the better players to move onwards and upwards. It will take time for the newcomers / young players to gel .

Well that felt like two massive steps back tonight. You can't expect to win all your home games, but you certainly expect much better than that. I could easily copy and paste my ramblings from half time.

Portsmouth deservedly won, but, really offered very little going forward. They were organised, physical and a well drilled team. They won the majority of second balls. Against a better performance, we would have been battered.

Two more set piece goals coming from a silly free kick and playing out from the back. Extremely disappointing.

Tactics were poor today, we played very much into their hands; pass it to Bolger or Shackell they whack up top where John-Jules and Hopper have little chance of winning the header. The ball comes straight back at us. They win every second ball. Very much a thankless task being a Lincoln striker today.

The few times we've had ball at feet, the passing has been dreadful. Simple passes wayward. Movement off the ball was non-existent. I actually felt sorry for Bolger and Shackell at times because they had no options available. We needed Eardley and Melbourne to offer more going forward. In our previous games we looked most dangerous on the wings, but we currently have no wingers.

90 minutes of football and we created one good chance and failed to make the keeper do anything during the entirety of the game. Too many basic errors. I understand we're in a transition period, but I expect us to play better than that.

So if we can’t whack it, or pass it, are we fucked?

Why ? He's supposed to be a coach rather than a manager.

If players are unable to pass to another red and white shirted individual, you think that's Appleton's fault?

It's poor technique or just an inability to read the game.

I'm quite sure that there are several players who will be shown the door in the fulness of time. You can't expect the young guns to cover up for the inadequacies of the veterans and the comparative veterans in the squad.

He has barely started on the rebuild and we should give him time.