Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Ref Watch - Lincoln City v Portsmouth:

Information about tonight's match officials.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ref-watch-lincoln-city-v-portsmouth/

MA: "We have to make sure that we nullify that.":

Summary of Monday's press conference with Michael Appleton.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ma-we-have-to-make-sure-that-we-nullify-that/

"Kenny Jackett really divides opinion in the Pompey fan base." (Who Are Ya?):

"Kenny Jackett really divides opinion in the Pompey fan base. It’s hard to argue with his record but some fans have found the style of football very frustrating to watch at times."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/kenny-jackett-really-divides-opinion-in-the-pompey-fan-base/

"Play the team in front of us, not the famous name.":

"Play the team in front of us, not the famous name. Portsmouth don't travel well, with just 3 wins all season (Doncaster, Rochdale and Bolton). It is a Tuesday night in January at the end of a long trek (although they may have stayed here overnight) and may not be in a great frame of mind accordingly."

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/play-the-team-in-front-of-us-not-the-famous-name/

Tyler Walker still needs two goals to officially become the most successful loan player in the history of the club. The current scoring record for a loan player is held by Ashley Grimes, who somehow managed to score 17 (15 in the league) in the 2010-11 relegation season.

One goal would obviously equal that record.

One goal will also make Tyler only the 54th player in the club's history to score 15 Football League goals in a season; to date, it has been done 72 times by those 53 players.

It was also done four times in the Conference by four different players; four times by four different players in the Midland League; and three times by three different players in the Central League.

Tyler, can you hurry up and get these sodding goals? I am fed up with posting this.

Current yellow card count: there are NINE games to go before the cut-off (the 37th league game, scheduled to be the home game against Coventry on 21 March). Ten yellows on or before that date will incur a two-match ban.

8: Morrell
5: Bolger
3: Eardley, Hesketh, Shackell
2: Bostwick, Coventry, Hopper
1: Anderson, Chapman, Melbourne, Payne, Pett, Vickers
0: Coker, Edun, Elbouzedi, Frecklington, Grant, John-Jules, Lewis, Smith, Walker

Lincoln are 17th in the FA Fair Play table on 188 disciplinary points, very well-behaved compared with recent seasons. Portsmouth are 10th on 216 points, although they have played three games fewer than us.

Tough match tonight but Pompey's away league form is quite patchy. Losses last month at MK and Accrington and only a 1-0 win at Bolton a couple of weeks ago. Actually fancy our chances to keep the home wins rolling.
Restricted to IFollow tonight but better than nothing.
All those going enjoy yourselves

Tough one tonight. Portsmouth in good form but not overly convincing on the road.

Our home form has been exemplary and hopefully it continues tonight. If we do win tonight, for me it’s a must we follow up with a win at Southend to have any slight sniff off the playoffs,

Looking forward to tonight, think it will be a score draw. Pompey in good form, but we have been very good at home.

Tyler Walker still needs two goals to officially become the most successful loan player in the history of the club. The current scoring record for a loan player is held by Ashley Grimes, who somehow managed to score 17 (15 in the league) in the 2010-11 relegation season.

One goal would obviously equal that record.

One goal will also make Tyler only the 54th player in the club's history to score 15 Football League goals in a season; to date, it has been done 72 times by those 53 players.

It was also done four times in the Conference by four different players; four times by four different players in the Midland League; and three times by three different players in the Central League.

Tyler, can you hurry up and get these sodding goals? I am fed up with posting this.

Matt Rhead needs 1 goal to... Oh!

Tough one tonight. Portsmouth in good form but not overly convincing on the road.

Our home form has been exemplary and hopefully it continues tonight. If we do win tonight, for me it’s a must we follow up with a win at Southend to have any slight sniff off the playoffs,
My view is that playoffs are a pipedream we are too poor away from home.
2nd worst away form in league.

Travelling back for this one today, contemplating whether Pompey fans still throw ticker tape Argentina 78’ style? 🤔 Will the stewards allow that 🔔🔚 into the LNER/SB to compete with our own Air Raid siren?

Up The Imps 👍🏼

Travelling back for this one today, contemplating whether Pompey fans still throw ticker tape Argentina 78’ style? 🤔 Will the stewards allow that 🔔🔚 into the LNER/SB to compete with our own Air Raid siren?

Up The Imps 👍🏼

I seem to recall a match sometime around the late 70’s start of the 80’s (Bearing in my I have a terrible memory) on a Saturday when they took the whole westbank and did the ticker tape thing ?

Top 2 at home in the league. Only 6 away left including the bottom 3. Away form isn’t the main issue from this point. The question is can we keep the home form going. Tonight’s a great indicator.

Agree unlikely but not impossible.

The main issue is every team around us has games in hand, and at least some of those will be against each other. All the teams down to 16th really need to do to overhaul us is get 4 points from any of their 2 games in hand and they move above us. At this stage of the season being in touching point of the playoffs isn't that useful if you have loads of teams above you. You're relying on either a) all of them having a dramatic dip in form at the same time or b) Suddenly increasing our form to be the same as teams in the automatic promotion spots for the entirety of the run in... neither looks likely I'm afraid but as you say, not impossible...

Possibility of a light shower around 1700 but dry the rest of the day.
By kick off, 4 degrees and hardly any wind.
Good conditions - bit nesh though, top coats all round.

The main issue is every team around us has games in hand, and at least some of those will be against each other. All the teams down to 16th really need to do to overhaul us is get 4 points from any of their 2 games in hand and they move above us. At this stage of the season being in touching point of the playoffs isn't that useful if you have loads of teams above you. You're relying on either a) all of them having a dramatic dip in form at the same time or b) Suddenly increasing our form to be the same as teams in the automatic promotion spots for the entirety of the run in... neither looks likely I'm afraid but as you say, not impossible...

The thing to keep in mind re the teams with games in hand is that every single one of the games in hand is away for them. Nobody has more home games left to play than us.

You look at Donny who are above us and played 3 less than us. They have 7 at home and 12 away left to play.

The league is still unbalanced.

I’m not arguing that we’ll make the playoffs by the way. Just that it’s slightly too early to call them a pipe dream.