Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

I really hope our instructions aren’t boot it long tonight. We’ve been absolute crap. Has been as bad as I’ve seen us this season (edit as I’ve seen worse before)

Appleton got it wrong tonight in some way. Either tactics or how he got his message across.

O’Connor > Coventry
Andrade > Elbouzedi
Akinde > Hopper
Toffolo > Melbourne.

That said, they are absolute shithouses. Only criticism of the ref tonight is he hasn’t done them for dissent.

Spot on the players coming in are not as good as the players they are replacing a worrying trend.

Other full times.
Mk Dons 2 - 1 Rochdale
Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich

89 mins
Bolton 1 - 1 Bristol R

H/T
Wycombe 2 - 0 Blackpool

But that's it. I ain't staying up for for Wycombe vs Blackpool.

They were decent. A decent away performance. A play off team. We were dog. Did we have a shot on target?
Pompey were efficient, organised, whingy, am dram queens but decent in footballing terms? Not particulary.

Having been 'priveleged' to see both games against them on iFollow, they've both been very similar, dire games to watch and Pompey have nicked shaded both without us looking any sort of threat in either game.

I'd get on the pompous (Pompey) 'I wouldn't pay money to watch that each week' band wagon but lets face it, we've served up games like that and ground out results like that in the Cowley years and cheered them to the echo, they even played keep-ball Cowley style at the end there.

Agreed we were very poor, no rhythm, a young transitional side caught out by a much more streetwise outfit.

Do need 3 points against the worst side in the league on Saturday though to restore some momentum.

At least it puts 'play off' talk to bed.

16 games is it to get at least a further 13 points, on this showing we will be lucky to get another 3 points. Too many changes, too much reliance on 'experienced' players at the back, and too much FUCKING AROUND AT THE BACK!!!

What absolute rubbish.

they could have won that game without a keeper. did we even have one shot on target. plenty of shots high and wide. we have no threat from open play. and zero threat from set pieces.

the team has been broken in half, with more than half an eye on next season. the problem when players have little to play for, and lose the battling team effort. performances can just drift. especially against teams with everything to play for.

i wonder how walker feels, second top scorer in the league and relegated to the bench??? is it so john-jules can start games in arsenal's preferred position for him, centre forward?

Possession: Lincoln 54% Portsmouth 46%
Shots Lincoln: 6 Portsmouth 14
Shots on Target: Lincoln 0 Portsmouth 4

Says everything.

I'm the very definition of a plastic fan, but after reading the reactions to that admittedly dreadful performance I can honestly say that the drama queens certainly weren't in the Portsmouth team, they're mostly on here.

They're not going to play well every week and after the recent run of good home results are surely allowed a bad night.

Fickle is too small a word to describe most posters on here this evening. Absolutely shameful and those of you have been like that tonight are far worse than the players you're criticising just because you had 90 minutes you didn't like.

Boo hoo.

The ‘name’ and ‘size’ of club has little to do with it, it’s 11v11 on the pitch, and they have poor away form. They had a game plan and stuck to it well, waiting for us to self destruct, which we did. We couldn’t break them down. Couldn’t even pass the ball. Lots for MA to think about.
I'm just saying when you are up against a big club with large resources and experienced manager who drills quality players defensively off the ball........they can make you look bad.

Perspective needed.

We’ve just lost at home to a side with a far bigger budget; a side that spent most of the 00s in the Premier League, and won the fa cup not so long ago as well. And for those who question how much of a bigger club they are, look at their away following for a cold Tuesday night in January.

We were poor tonight - individually and collectively - but Portsmouth didn’t give us a moment to settle in our play, resulting in us consistently turning the ball over all across the park. We conceded an awful goal on the stroke of half time, in an awful half where they had barely threatened anything as well. It was always a tall order to get back into it from there, as was proved.

Let’s not forget we’ve beaten other big teams at home this season, and we’ll be picking up wins again before long. We’re a long way off the relegation places, and consolidation was all that was required this season.

Perspective needed.

We’ve just lost at home to a side with a far bigger budget; a side that spent most of the 00s in the Premier League, and won the fa cup not so long ago as well. And for those who question how much of a bigger club they are, look at their away following for a cold Tuesday night in January.

We were poor tonight - individually and collectively - but Portsmouth didn’t give us a moment to settle in our play, resulting in us consistently turning the ball over all across the park. We conceded an awful goal on the stroke of half time, in an awful half where they had barely threatened anything as well. It was always a tall order to get back into it from there, as was proved.

Let’s not forget we’ve beaten other big teams at home this season, and we’ll be picking up wins again before long. We’re a long way off the relegation places, and consolidation was all that was required this season.

It was still complete turd, though.

I'm the very definition of a plastic fan, but after reading the reactions to that admittedly dreadful performance I can honestly say that the drama queens certainly weren't in the Portsmouth team, they're mostly on here.

They're not going to play well every week and after the recent run of good home results are surely allowed a bad night.

Fickle is too small a word to describe most posters on here this evening. Absolutely shameful and those of you have been like that tonight are far worse than the players you're criticising just because you had 90 minutes you didn't like.

Boo hoo.

Oh shut up, you pompous tit.

A young side will have good days and bad days. They'll be inconsistent and more often than not, struggle against the more seasoned pros of an Ipswich or Portsmouth.

Our season isn't going to be defined by the last two results, but will be with the next two - Southend and MK - before we hit another tricky one in Rotherham.

And yet the free kick for the goal, in a far more dangerous position and completely unnecessary, was given away by Morrell

I don't get this criticism of Melbourne, he's done ok, certainly no worse than any of the others.

Anderson, for example has been like a man with both ankles tied together, Guantanamo style.

Morrell was shocking, but at least his free kick was given away trying to stop a shot coming in. Melbourne deliberately jumped into a player knowing he wasn't going to win a header.