Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

So if we can’t whack it, or pass it, are we fucked?

If we play like that we are! Very little chance of going down this season mind.

If we want to pass it out we need a midfielder to drop in to offer an option (or just move). Lots of missed placed passes up the pitch as well.

But you can blame him for making the play. It’s like taking a Vauxhall Corsa to a F1 GP!

Yes, but Shackell and Bolger were chipping it down the channels to no-one in particular throughout. Perhaps he thinks, given Shackell's pedigree in the upper echelons, he would be able to adapt to a passing game, more than most?

What do you suggest as an alternative? Hoof it up to the big man? What big man and it ain't going to get the best out of Tyler Walker.

A young side will have good days and bad days. They'll be inconsistent and more often than not, struggle against the more seasoned pros of an Ipswich or Portsmouth.

Our season isn't going to be defined by the last two results, but will be with the next two - Southend and MK - before we hit another tricky one in Rotherham.

Inconsistent more often than not gets you relegated !

So if we can’t whack it, or pass it, are we fucked?
The problem with trying to play a passing game, particularly at this level and with a number of young players, is there will be good days and bad.

Tonight the rhythm was off anyway, apart from one move in the second half when the tempo increased and the passes worked (and originated at the back) hardly anything else of any note happened.

Add to that Pompey's game plan and experience, which never allowed us to establish a meaningful platform in midfield or wide and had any balls into the channels for breakfast, and we were second best against a side who were confident enough to contain and wait for opportunities which duly arrived.

But a times in recent games we've pinged passes and created chances. The fear is that the loss of Toff's raiding down the left and the physicality JA brought as an option may make us more one-dimensional. Tonight the first may have achieved something, though I suspect Raggs and Burgess wouldn't have been much discomfited by Big John.

Absolutely, best post of the evening. I thought Max has had a decent game, decent interchange of passing and defending as Brendan says “no worse than any of the others” perhaps an easy target as the new kid on the block !
sorry. He has been piss poor.

I said after Saturday's game that we would have more days like Saturday- perhaps I wasn't expecting it quite as soon as tonight.

This team is building it's way to next season- developing a style and method which suits them. Sometimes it is painful and sometimes it is excellent.

Don't underestimate Pompey's role in tonight- they have an experienced team which had won 6 on the bounce and knew how to control a game, slow it down or accelerate.

They set up (almost as we did on Saturday) to counter attack and absorb our pressure and they did it very very well.

I have no doubt we will have L1 football next season at the Bank and also have no doubt we have some tough games coming up which may be a challenging as tonight.

Not very good and beaten by a better side. It happens.

Maybe this supposedly pending drop in crowds might rid us of the self-entitled arseholes who turn up expecting a win every week. Every cloud.

Definitely off the pace tonight. Whilst I’m not totally in the beasts and monsters camp I’ve thought since the start of the season we’re a small team and against some teams that is causing us issues

It was one of those nights to forget . We were poor in every dept. Pompey were the better team on the night but I honestly don't think they were that good. It is only time to worry if this is not a one off and we continue to play as badly.
A very bad day at the office we need to put behind us.
The biggest dissapointment for me was the number of fans leaving early, true fans stay to the bitter end . Up the Imps!

Unpopular opinion - Morrell is not as good as everyone makes out. Decent league 1 player but not Championship at the moment. The passing around the back before launching it comes from a lack of options through the middle.

Unpopular opinion - Morrell is not as good as everyone makes out. Decent league 1 player but not Championship at the moment. The passing around the back before launching it comes from a lack of options through the middle.
I think he looks a cut above the majority I've seen this season, and is improving rapidly. If here were a bit bigger we would never have seen him in a Lincoln shirt.