Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Good game for L2, think the technical quality of the team is so much higher than in the last 2 seasons. Add that to the same battling qualities& we have a winning mix.
Playing some good football probably up to the final ball. Seems like MK took a leaf from Mansfield tactics with some strong/cynical changes (thought the captain Lewington had a nerve to moan to the ref about O 'Connors foul after what has gone before (btw is he related to Ray Lewington)) but clever enough to only do one each!
Where to fit in Freck when he's back

Just back and I thought I'd throw my two-penneth in over Akinde.
First half he was poor. But he does take defenders out of the game. We did not play to his strengths, so the game passes him by. But he needs to show more energy and desire to get himself into the game. We were playing so well, so it was disappointing that it would break down in and around him.
So, we get to half time and something changes. For a start, better balls into Akinde, meant he could play his game and we played to his strengths. More players were in and around him and he had a better touch because the balls were not round his neck all the time. He also (importantly) showed some tracking back, tackling and the energy and desire missing first half to win the ball and run more channels. His hold up play was good (not excellent) and a great assist. Started to pick up loose balls more and run at defenders.
I would say his touch could be better and it would be great to see him attempt to attack more crosses or at least be in the right position. This will come.
A definite on team sheet every week, but IMO not quite the MOTM performance today. This will come too. Big John has a lot more to give.

Some idiot on their site is suggesting our stadium is a poo hole.

I assume as they have probably only watched football for 15 years if they think that. That said it can’t be that long as didn’t they play in that awful hockey stadium

Thought Pett was excellent today, especially first half, man of the match for me. Cannot be dropped on that form, be interesting to see what we do when Freck is back. Akinde, Andrade and Shack were also very good. Got to point with Andrade where he makes something happen every time he gets it, will at least win a throw in or corner, usually gets a decent ball in, or has a en effort. Cannot believe some people don't rate Akinde, he must be an absolute nightmare to play against. And what a signing Big Shack is, so composed, amazed he has not scored more in his careers.

Fans also brilliant, what a moment with the Lancaster, lifted a good atmosphere to a great one.

Cannot stand MK Dons I'm delighted.

Out of jail is over egging a bit I think. He exchanged 1 pointers into 3 pointers though.

Yep, spot on. Instead of being in third place, a point behind first and second, we're top of the league, 3 points ahead of second
Understand your point, though

Not understanding the "they came to play" comments. The game I watched had us dominating with them happy to sit back, and play for the point. Every corner we had they had all their players in their own box.

They scored off a counter attack but other than Vicker's first class save in the first half they did little else.

Yes we were terrible in front of goal but we dominated the whole match.

Absolutely delighted though because a few years ago we would be going home after a 1-0 defeat feeling hard done by after dominating a game like that.

Last edited:
It's Anderson over Mensah for me. Harry tries to take it passed the defender, doesn't always work, but when he does that's a danger time for the opposition. Plus it's exciting to see. Admittedly I don't think he's getting in the final ball in as well as he has previously, but for me him running at their defence is good football to watch.

I agree. Anderson over Mensah, however Anderson was not great today. Really needs to just push the ball far forward and use his pace.

Last edited:
I agree. Anderson over Mensah, however Anderson was not great today. Really needs to just push the ball far forward and use his pace.

I was well pleased we saw a better effort from Mensah today though, seems that the lad is coming on method nicely. Danny's rarely wrong and I am happy to play wait and see with this one.

I was well pleased we saw a better effort from Mensah today though, seems that the lad is coming on method nicely. Danny's rarely wrong and I am happy to play wait and see with this one.

Not dissing Mensah at all. Just that Harry could be such a good player. Maybe he is at his limit already. Mensha has the benefit of experience though and at that late stage he was the better choice.

And the Jolley Revolution continues apace - Grimsby extend the gap between them and us to 17 points. After 9 games.

Oh, and Mansfield slip to 16th - just 4 wins from 20 league games for Flitcroft. They are now 11 points behind us.
David Flitcroft wow!

Not dissing Mensah at all. Just that Harry could be such a good player. Maybe he is at his limit already. Mensha has the benefit of experience though and at that late stage he was the better choice.

Spot on call there GreenNeedle :tophat: - Harry has skills to burn but currently lacks the composure and experience to make the best of them at the moment. Hoping that Mensah and Harry bring out the best in each other, early days......

Well, excellent game of footie with super finale, stress free drive home over the Pennines and a pleasant post match peruse of Vitals. Where to next? Choices, choices - do I do Stagsnet, County Mad or The Fishy for my weekend dose of hilarity.

Well, excellent game of footie with super finale, stress free drive home over the Pennines and a pleasant post match peruse of Vitals. Where to next? Choices, choices - do I do Stagsnet, County Mad or The Fishy for my weekend dose of hilarity.

Treat yourself, hulloutpost - all three, compare and contrast! :lol: Any little gems you unearth would be appreciated.....

Strange, because I thought he had a good game (apart from his delivery into the box). He was very positive going forward and was regularly running at men. He also defended pretty well. His main problem is Bruno on the other side who sets a very high bar to compare to!

Interesting to see how 'the best starting 11' and 'best formation' is evolving, as much driven by circumstance as performance. Up to Crawley, 433 or variation thereof, with O'Connor Freck and Pett seemed to be working.

A dud performance and Freck's suspension and it all changes, 442 (4411) has really brought the best out in Pett and the team works well with him as the fulcrum.

Despite Frecks good form, for me he'll be on the bench when available again. Form injury and suspension means he'll get starts, that's what the squad is for, but no one has a divine right to start.