Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Some idiot on their site is suggesting our stadium is a poo hole.

I assume as they have probably only watched football for 15 years if they think that. That said it can’t be that long as didn’t they play in that awful hockey stadium
Calling it a bit non league is a great compliment to non league stadiums up and down the country!

Good game for L2, think the technical quality of the team is so much higher than in the last 2 seasons. Add that to the same battling qualities& we have a winning mix.
Playing some good football probably up to the final ball. Seems like MK took a leaf from Mansfield tactics with some strong/cynical changes (thought the captain Lewington had a nerve to moan to the ref about O 'Connors foul after what has gone before (btw is he related to Ray Lewington)) but clever enough to only do one each!
Where to fit in Freck when he's back
Ray is his Dad.

Well, excellent game of footie with super finale, stress free drive home over the Pennines and a pleasant post match peruse of Vitals. Where to next? Choices, choices - do I do Stagsnet, County Mad or The Fishy for my weekend dose of hilarity.

I would suggest you check out The Pishy first, always guaranteed laughs on there. My favourite post of the day is from this deluded character:

"I so, so wanted jolley to succeed, to see a young english manager cut his teeth at Grimsby, to take us to the next level before he moved on to bigger and better things but would always look back and say "thank you GTFC, you gave me this chance to become a brilliant manager and I leave you as a championship team playing great football"..."

No wonder some of them are finding it hard to accept at the moment, with expectations that high.

I’ve hesitated to say this but the whole thing is pissing me off, got some utter brain donors who sit near me - if Akinde was a white lad from Lincoln he wouldn’t be getting the stick he gets.
Think exactly same mate sure some of the comments have a whiff of racism.
Bloke in the pub after said that he was effing useless and just 300 grand penalty taker who did nothing...
I dispair!
Thought he really good today, total menace yes he fluffed a couple of chances but if people can't see what he brings you really doesn't understand what he brings to the team.
And for the last time he's not green or rheadvice and never will be!

Some idiot on their site is suggesting our stadium is a poo hole.

I assume as they have probably only watched football for 15 years if they think that. That said it can’t be that long as didn’t they play in that awful hockey stadium

Parts of Sincil Bank are undoubtably quite poor if you are used to their stadium, which is probably the best in the lower leagues. Wait till we go there and then compare the two: seating, bars, food outlets, toilets, parking etc But where we gain is through the great atmosphere generated by our fans, which enhances the experience. Having history, a Lancaster and winning regularly also helps.

Two things I wish to comment on.
Firstly, our SIncil Bank Stadium may not be the best in our league but certainly far from the worst. But certainly best for atmosphere and , unlike all the other Stadiums is usually full.
Secondly Akinde. It is crazy to say that his critics our being racist. I have been one of his bigger critics I think I am being honest. I couldn't care less if he was sky blue and pink. But it seems to me that some people are under the impression that he has Not had a bad game for us yet. I thought he was excellent today and a match winner against Exeter. But early on in the season he was definitely not fit and very lethargic. Against Crawley he was very poor as were most of his teammates. He challenged for everything today but definitely didn't against Crawley . If I heard any fans having a go because of racist reasons I would be the first to report them.

I think we are over hyping MK Dons, very solid back 5 and efficient in midfield but goodness me they were pretty sh*te in the last third. Their number 10 who started up front was a waste of space and the number 6, Cisse the big black lad was a serious poser at best. They looked better after using their subs but if they are our biggest threat then this is a piss poor league.

Yesterday brought a whole new definition as to what 'home' advantage meant. If things are not going to plan then call up the Lancaster to carry out a low level 'bombing' run over the Ground. Truly amazing ! It happened of course just when the other lot were running back to the centre circle after scoring, perfect timing and lifted the crowd again in what was an excellent game by two good sides AND Officials. Never to be forgotten , maybe Danny organised it !!
UTI.

That was a very good match. There is no better feeling than scoring a last minute winner - and the noise of the crowd when it went in!

MK looked a tight unit and will do well this season. We’ve done exceptionally well to score two against them. As is the case with most teams this season, they couldn’t cope with bruno and Harry. However at times the delivery in the box wasn’t great, nor did we commit enough people into the box. When mensah came on I thought he put some excellent crosses in and I think took the corner for the winner? MK looked to play us on the counter which was effective at times against our slow defence, but most of the time Bossie and Shackell’s defensive qualities shone through. We dominated the possession but struggled to create many clear cut chances, whereas MK looked more threatening with the little ball they had. They made some pretty rash challenges and at times I was wondering if they’d finish the match with 11 men!

Really tidy finish for their first goal, even though we probably should have defended it better. Then the Lancaster bomber flies over and it gives a lift to the fans to push the players. I was expecting them to sit on it, but they didn’t seem to change their style. We kept peppering MK and were finally rewarded with a cracking strike from McCartan. Towards the end of the game I thought we were starting to tire, Eardley in particular was struggling. However, the fans kept going and so did the players. Finally Shack attack converted one of, what felt like, hundreds of corners sparking huge celebrations in the home end. Felt like it was a deserved winner in a game of two evenly matched teams.

Currently Pett is undroppable, he seems to be every where. Andrade is genuine talent, he could potentially become one of the best wingers we’ve seen Grace Sincil Bank in recent years. The way he can control balls from the air and then beat a man is a joy to behold. Akinde is getting better and better. He holds up the ball expertly, rarely gives it away and has an awareness above this league. I genuinely think he is lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal, but they will come. Defenders don’t know how to deal with him and is fundamental to how we play. Bossie and Shackell are rocks, what they lack in pace they more than make up with in experience and reading the game.

All in all a brilliant advert for league 2

Joe just a little tip. When you do a player by player breakdown you have to get the basics right as your credentials get blown to pieces. Mensah is totally left footed, put the crosses in with his left foot but the corner for the winner was put in right footed by Andrade. It was an inswinger from the left and Mensah was in the 6 yard box when Shackell scored.

Last edited by a moderator:
They play in a soulless bowl 30000 seater stadium that they do well to get 7/8000 in nuff said .
Pot kettle

Soulless is spot on. I've been to every Football League stadium in the country and although there are some pretty tired ones (Southend stands out) nothing compares to MK's plastic coffin.

2018-09-22-lincoln-mk-dons.jpg

Spot on call there GreenNeedle :tophat: - Harry has skills to burn but currently lacks the composure and experience to make the best of them at the moment. Hoping that Mensah and Harry bring out the best in each other, early days......

Harry's a little bit one dimensional, in my opinion. He's very willing and a powerful runner, but seems to run out of ideas in the final third. He hasn't got the mazy runs of Bruno in him, sadly.

I thought Mensah made better crosses behind defenders than anyone else did. including Bruno, all match, apart from THAT corner. Looks a good understudy.

I was quite impressed by Gordon, who also has pace and crossed well in the little time I've seen him play. Harry took a bit of a knock yesterday and would like to see him given a chance in Harry's role, if only for 45 minutes, sooner rather than later.

Harry's a little bit one dimensional, in my opinion. He's very willing and a powerful runner, but seems to run out of ideas in the final third. He hasn't got the mazy runs of Bruno in him, sadly.

I thought Mensah made better crosses behind defenders than anyone else did. including Bruno, all match, apart from THAT corner. Looks a good understudy.

I was quite impressed by Gordon, who also has pace and crossed well in the little time I've seen him play. Harry took a bit of a knock yesterday and would like to see him given a chance in Harry's role, if only for 45 minutes, sooner rather than later.

Whilst I agree about Harry, his pressing, harrying (no pun intended!) and checking-back for defensive duties are second to none in the team. If I were a RB, he's the kind of wide-man I'd like to have in front of me.