Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

Really good game. A draw would have been a fair result as MK were a tidy side who certainly posed a threat, but the team keeps getting results, as there's now some real quality where it matters.

I reckon if you took the points we actually earned from the balance of play we'd have 15 now, so 22 is a sign of that little something extra.

But there's also a steady improvement and we look like a top of the table team now.

From Julian at the match

Sorry for the slow reply. Was fixed to the game. I think today has shown just where we are as a club. They came down with League 1 players and we beat them. Personally think we deserved it, too.

Last edited:
From Julian at the matvo

Sorry for the slow reply. Was fixed to the game. I think today has shown just where we are as a club. They came down with League 1 players and we beat them. Personally think we deserved it, too.

They bought Championship players last season with the expectation of promotion- how they ended up relegated! By far the best team we've played this season but also, by far, the most committed Lincoln performance.

Draw would have been a reasonable result (even if I thought we shaded the game overall) but a win was exceptional. Persistent late goals are not an accident- it shows character, resilience and passion.

Maybe the Crawley result did everyone some good- DC/players and fans. We have to fight every game.

Thought the crowd were back to it's best- the Lanc flying over lifted everyone even further.

Onto next week!

Now, that's how to finish a game. We deserved it too, and played some lovely stuff but...sorry if I'm offending friends and fellow fans...Akinde. He is an absolute cart horse of a player and can't see what he brings that we don't get from Green or Rheady.

J.sorry if I'm offending friends and fellow fans...Akinde. He is an absolute cart horse of a player and can't see what he brings that we don't get from Green or Rheady.

You shouldn't apologise for having an opinion, even if you think it might be unpopular.

I thought that Akinde was MoM today though. It makes a difference when it's played where he can use the ball, either into channels or straight into feet or his body. Expecting him to act as an old-fashioned target man is a waste of time and there wasn't so much of that today.

Now, that's how to finish a game. We deserved it too, and played some lovely stuff but...sorry if I'm offending friends and fellow fans...Akinde. He is an absolute cart horse of a player and can't see what he brings that we don't get from Green or Rheady.

We’re top of the league, with the best squad we’ve had in my lifetime. Akinde is and will be a great player for us. If you can’t see what he brings above Green and Rhead then that says more about you lack of knowledge of football. I’m sick of hearing Lincoln fans with a sense of entitlement.

That's twice in two matches Shack's got us out of jail. But what a buy. I noticed last week when the pressure was off the defence how he and Bossie were talking and organising themselves. What a great addition to the squad

Out of jail is over egging a bit I think. He exchanged 1 pointers into 3 pointers though.

Agree you can have an different opinion, and Akinde so far has clearly been a player who divides opinion. But cart horse? Don't be daft. If you can't see what Akinde brings which is different to Rhead and Green, in my opinion you aren't understanding his game. Problems arise because of his mobility, when he's drawn out wide we haven't always got the support filling the hole in the middle, Green might offer that support role better than McCartan, but McCartan brings a different set of skills to the wider game.

but...sorry if I'm offending friends and fellow fans...Akinde. He is an absolute cart horse of a player and can't see what he brings that we don't get from Green or Rheady.

Cannot agree with that, Jaggy. Opposing teams hate playing against Akinde - we did when he was at Barnet and Alfreton.

This is from the MKD forum:

"I think it was a fairly even game, but our apparent 'strong' point, the defence, is not living up to its reputation at all. Cannot deal with balls into the box and definitely couldn't deal with Akinde today."