Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Milton Keynes Dons

And after today, I'm now referring to such games simply as 'A Cowley', it happens so often. No fluke, that's the spirit and determination instilled in the squad of the day, whether the NL winners (FGR, Easter) last season (Exeter, Colchester) or today.

Enjoy it while it lasts, 'cart horses' and all.

Akinde should have scored today however he was immense for most of the game. The twit next to me moaned about him all game demonstrating his total lack of football knowledge and reflecting that some Lincoln fans prefer players who chase hopeless causes but produce no end result. (see assist)

Now, that's how to finish a game. We deserved it too, and played some lovely stuff but...sorry if I'm offending friends and fellow fans...Akinde. He is an absolute cart horse of a player and can't see what he brings that we don't get from Green or Rheady.

Well without differing opinions this forum would be quite boring, but I can't agree with you here fella.

Akinde is such a handful for opposition defences that he creates space for others to capitalise on. Last week at Macclesfield they had to put 4 on him to get anywhere near him. His game is not the same as Rhead nor Green but he offers us much more in options and is is evidenced with how many shots the team are getting away per match compared to last year.

If fit he starts every game for me

That's twice in two matches Shack's got us out of jail. But what a buy. I noticed last week when the pressure was off the defence how he and Bossie were talking and organising themselves. What a great addition to the squad

Perhaps shows that as well as being exceptional coaches the Cowley's have that bit of extra good fortune you need. If Shrewsbury hadn't have bought Waterfall he wouldn't be here. No disrespect to Luke who was a good player for us the upgrade in Shackell is massive

Signs today that both Shackell and o’connor are getting the hang of it... chipping the ball into akinde. Boz still likes smashing the long diagonal though.

Akinde was all over them today. The nod back to McCartan was sublime and he won his fair share of the ball in the air. His hold-up play was excellent and he even did his bit in defence. I'm not sure what people want from him. Oh, and his control is as good as anyone else in the squad. Someone on Radio Lincs. said he was useless and won one header all game! Really?!?

What a game that was. Two really good sides there.

Brilliant effort from us with being completely outnumbered in midfield for most of the game, 5 vs 2 at times, but Bostwick and in particular Shackell were absolute rocks at the back, especially when you consider that Toffolo gallops down the left wing all game and leaves lots of space and Pett and O'Connor covered every blade of grass. Pett offers similar levels of energy that Woodyard had.

Two games within one as the first hour were two fully committed teams being really physical, breaking the play up (as shown by MK's 5 yellows) but playing a bit as well. Then Tisdale opened the game up on the hour, abandoning the 5-4-1 come 5-3-2, took a defender off, threw Agard on and went 4-3-3, which really opened the game up and the final 30 minutes felt end to end.

First half, both sides had a presentable chance each. McCartan's bicycle kick and Vickers, making a welcome return go the side, pulls off a great save low down.

The second half didn't get going until MK scored, which was pretty much straight after they changed their system IIRC. Really, really tight angle, through the 'keeper's legs.

Wonderful hit from McCartan into the opposite top corner from an Akinde knock down and just as you think we're getting a draw, Shackell pops up with a winner with what was basically the last kick (head) of the game with 5 seconds to go.

MK are a good side, probably the best we've faced at SB since we returned to the FL. Three passes and they go from one box to the other but you can see why they don't score too many. They don't really have a focal point to their attack - Tisdale doesn't have Stockley. Lots of similar types of players. They tried two extremely tall strikers up there today but neither looked comfortable doing what they were being asked to do. Looked far better with Agard up front.

Mention to Stuart Atwell as well. You can't half tell when you have a PL or higher FL ref.

As for the Lancaster banking in and over the Stadium - what a moment that was. We could see it for a minute or so as it came in over the City and then a hard left and it was coming over. That happened as MK Dons were celebrating their goal so it was brilliantly timed! I'm sure they'll be footage of that somewhere and that lifted an already good atmosphere.

I also thought that in patches, MK showed a bit of L1 in them (think they have quite a few from last season remaining) in the sense that they're passing was so quick and positive in counter attacking positions. That's the kinda thing you'd be up against consistently if we went up.

I can't recall having any side under Cowley getting three passes in and going from one box to the other as quickly.

akinde also set up eardley for his shot today.
akinde had two shots one ended up being a corner, the other went just wide.
and a header just wide from a left wing cross by mensah.
they also had two players booked for fouls on him.

special mention to mensah who started with a couple of off touches, but then clicked into gear and put in three great left foot crosses in about 5 minutes.

harryA is destined to be backup winger unless he seriously ups his game imo. there was one silly-naive attempt to take the ball past the fullback near the end, we lose the ball and o'connor then has to take a yellow for the team.

It's Anderson over Mensah for me. Harry tries to take it passed the defender, doesn't always work, but when he does that's a danger time for the opposition. Plus it's exciting to see. Admittedly I don't think he's getting in the final ball in as well as he has previously, but for me him running at their defence is good football to watch.

Well at the match I was watching Akinde won a fare few balls in the air. Also watched some deft dribbling in the box near the end.
Yardley looked a little slow chasing back towards the end, taken a knock?
Nice to see the MK Dims flooding out as their team were still trying to get the equaliser.

Mensah took a couple of minutes to click but then sent 3 excellent crosses into the box.

Does look a good player- maybe confidence or game time is needed.

Harry was good today but Andrade is a different level

That was a very good match. There is no better feeling than scoring a last minute winner - and the noise of the crowd when it went in!

MK looked a tight unit and will do well this season. We’ve done exceptionally well to score two against them. As is the case with most teams this season, they couldn’t cope with bruno and Harry. However at times the delivery in the box wasn’t great, nor did we commit enough people into the box. When mensah came on I thought he put some excellent crosses in and I think took the corner for the winner? MK looked to play us on the counter which was effective at times against our slow defence, but most of the time Bossie and Shackell’s defensive qualities shone through. We dominated the possession but struggled to create many clear cut chances, whereas MK looked more threatening with the little ball they had. They made some pretty rash challenges and at times I was wondering if they’d finish the match with 11 men!

Really tidy finish for their first goal, even though we probably should have defended it better. Then the Lancaster bomber flies over and it gives a lift to the fans to push the players. I was expecting them to sit on it, but they didn’t seem to change their style. We kept peppering MK and were finally rewarded with a cracking strike from McCartan. Towards the end of the game I thought we were starting to tire, Eardley in particular was struggling. However, the fans kept going and so did the players. Finally Shack attack converted one of, what felt like, hundreds of corners sparking huge celebrations in the home end. Felt like it was a deserved winner in a game of two evenly matched teams.

Currently Pett is undroppable, he seems to be every where. Andrade is genuine talent, he could potentially become one of the best wingers we’ve seen Grace Sincil Bank in recent years. The way he can control balls from the air and then beat a man is a joy to behold. Akinde is getting better and better. He holds up the ball expertly, rarely gives it away and has an awareness above this league. I genuinely think he is lacking a bit of confidence in front of goal, but they will come. Defenders don’t know how to deal with him and is fundamental to how we play. Bossie and Shackell are rocks, what they lack in pace they more than make up with in experience and reading the game.

All in all a brilliant advert for league 2 football.

Last edited: