Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

How did Jackson not get booked for giving away the penalty as well, that was an awful tackle!
I think he did. I don't believe he got a straight red. I'm still not convinced he touched their player for the sending off but once he chased the ball he was always putting himself in that position. As one of our experienced players he should have done better in that situation.

Too many players outside the box rather than in it.

Crossing wayward.

Don’t deserve anything letting them score from the restart, even with Montsma off.

Thommo picked Edun out as giving the ball away too much... but i only noticed he did it twice. I also Didnt think he was any worse than most.
What - I lost count of the number of times he passed the ball to an opposition player and threw my hands in the air. Tries too many Hollywood balls that don’t come off.

These things happen, whole team misfired today, passing not as crisp as in earlier games.

Rovers worked hard, their no 9 was always a threat, once we were down to 10 they were able to shut out the game.

MA will no doubt use the game as a lesson for the team and look for a response.

Remember very few of us saw us as promotion candidates before the season started, losing games and losing unexpectedly is part of that.

Actually, interesting that if the ref had given the penalty in the first half, which was a clear penalty, we’d have gone 2 - 0 up and maybe been a bit more disciplined and controlled - maybe 🤔🤔

Actually, interesting that if the ref had given the penalty in the first half, which was a clear penalty, we’d have gone 2 - 0 up and maybe been a bit more disciplined and controlled - maybe 🤔🤔

Was it clear penalty?.. only saw it once but i wasnt totally convinced.

Bristol deserved the win in the end. We had a bad first 15 minutes of the second half where everything went astray. The pen came from us giving the ball away unnecessarily in the middle of the park. We finished strongly and are clearly fitter than them but they defended well and importantly broke quickly from their own penalty area to relieve the pressure on many occasions.
We have got to appreciate where we are and we have done very well above all expectations. In all the matches I have seen our Achilles heel is as you say giving the ball away. Unnecessarily from the back playing the ball out, in mid field and while in attacking positions. After saying that enjoying the football and long may it continue. We all have remember where we were a few years ago. UTI

At half time I was pretty confident we would come to dominate the game however the significant rainfall made the pitch look heavy and us running and passing in treacle. We have struggled a lot in recent years against this formation and they did not make it easy and did a good impression of WWF with worse acting. We were poor in our passing and crosses. Some individuals were awful but they will remain nameless unless it becomes a pattern.

We didn’t deserve too lose, but weren’t inventive enough in the final third. Nevertheless it will provide vital learning experience playing against a team happy to sit and play on the break; we haven’t come across that so far to date.

Most disappointing today was conceding straight after scoring. If we held onto the lead for 10-15 minutes, the likely outcome would have meant them sacrificing their defensive shape. Nevertheless with a crowd in today, we would have had a penalty first half on McGrandles in which the ref got wrong.

One query though why did Montsma have to go off, yet when their players collided they stayed on? I thought the ref was petty throughout but we did commit sin against frustration a times.

It has been a tough start and in fairness to Bristol Rovers they won’t be no thrills but will frustrate a lot if teams this year.

First time I have used my pass on ifollow, ! good quality camera work and no complaints with that. The team, work in progress, just after scoring just lost concentration, basic error . Too many careless misplaced passes. Our crossing from the right was so poor, rarely beat the first man and little goal threat. Montsma is already a very good player, quick, time on the ball, will get even better. We could still be playing and not score, but we did look very fit and kept going to the end. The other lot did a job on us, not sure they deserved to win, but no complaints. Hopper seemed to pull up, maybe a week or two out.
UTI.

Last edited:
In all the matches I have seen our Achilles heel is as you say giving the ball away. Unnecessarily from the back playing the ball out, in mid field and while in attacking positions. After saying that enjoying the football and long may it continue. We all have remember where we were a few years ago. UTI

I may be pedantic in my interpretation, but - you're enjoying the football but the essence of it - playing out from the back, trying passes in midfield and attack which may give the ball away - 'unecessarily'? Reads like you want your cake and eat it, even Barcelona in their pomp and the likes of Liverpool and Manc City now have their moments.

We've probably had the luck in early games, went against us today, but the sharpness was also off and the truism 'you make your own luck' applies. Happens with a young team, need to make the most of this week as there's a solid run of midweek games ahead which will test fitness, stamina and technique.

For all the skilful players we have, I don't remember any trying to take an opponent on one-on-one. Howarth, Anderson, Scully, Grant and Archibald are all capable of doing that from the edge of the box, but too often we just seemed to pass it around the edge.

Fair to say not everything went our way today. I thought Bristol Rovers were one of the better teams we've played in the league so far, and on balance of play a draw would have been a fair result.

One or two players were disappointing, Edun as mentioned, and I thought Jones too, with McGrandles having a more effective game than him. I was expecting Scully to be the first substitute on - I'm not yet convinced by Howarth at this level. When Scully had to replace Hopper he not surprisingly found it difficult to get into the game in that position.

There seems some confusion as to whether the goal was Montsma's sixth of the season or Og's second. It looked on the replay as if Montsma headed it.

Not read too many of the messages as only just logging on now.

Our worst performance of the season and we got what we deserved, nothing. That’s not to take away from our superb start and there’s no need to panic or to pick at individuals.

For me the biggest thing is that this is the first game we’ve been expected to set the pace and dominate. We did so on the ball but chance creation we were a way away. We’ve developed a superb counter attacking team as proven but this was a different challenge where were expected to dominate and we found it difficult to break a tough, deep team down. Good lesson to learn.

The red made it almost impossible to enact plan B and C. For me this is reminiscent of the Crawley game where Chapman got the red and Bostwick scored an OG. These games happen. We just need to the learn the lesson of not forcing it, especially when we don’t have a clear target man.

We’ve won 4/5 beating a number of promotion favourites. These games happen. No problem. We try again next week.

What I will say is that we always seen to lose to Rovers. Appleton’s bogey team but also Lincoln’s.