Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

The gas came to upset our play and it worked.Frustration came into play hence the penalty and latterly the red card.The passing game was off today with Edun having what you could call a made of a game.Crosses didnt particulary work either.Just hope other league One teams think this is the way to beat us as it just as frustrating to watch.uti

Fair to say not everything went our way today. I thought Bristol Rovers were one of the better teams we've played in the league so far, and on balance of play a draw would have been a fair result.

One or two players were disappointing, Edun as mentioned, and I thought Jones too, with McGrandles having a more effective game than him. I was expecting Scully to be the first substitute on - I'm not yet convinced by Howarth at this level. When Scully had to replace Hopper he not surprisingly found it difficult to get into the game in that position.

There seems some confusion as to whether the goal was Montsma's sixth of the season or Og's second. It looked on the replay as if Montsma headed it.
OG has got the credit. He is prolific.

One of those today, we just didn’t get our play going that we’ve seen in recent weeks - just didn’t seem on it or getting the rub of the green. Jackson had a mare with a silly rash challenge for the pen then over-running the ball and leaving a boot in for his second yellow. A bright young side, we’ll occasionally have these unfortunately - we’ve already shown after Liverpool that we have the strength to bounce back, tough game next week where the minerals need to be shown

Not the first time Hanlan has caused us problems, did last season for.
Only listened as I was working but it just sounded like we were off the pace and it just didn’t happen, for me when you're struggling you need a crowd to get behind you, no wonder they're so many away wins.
Being on football focus didn’t help.

I think that our goal will be credited to Montsma. Baldwin might have had the final touch but his header was on target and they take that into account

I think the manager has to make a decision on Grant. Where his best position is, where he is most effective and where he would have most influence on the game.

We just lacked creativity and urgency until the last 20 minutes. Rovers played with good game management and we did not have the quality to unpick their defence. Far too many sloppy passes and several rash challenges just played into their hands as we became increasingly frustrated.

Think Johnson would have made a huge difference is pace and unpredictably would have made a huge difference.
Is it me or do we always seem to get the shitty end of the stick on international weekends ? Lose a key player like Morrell and it hurts the balance of the side.

The galling thing is Rovers would have been more than happy with a point. Our accuracy was off today, but we never stopped trying. They'll learn and it takes the heat off a little bit.

We just lacked creativity and urgency until the last 20 minutes. Rovers played with good game management and we did not have the quality to unpick their defence. Far too many sloppy passes and several rash challenges just played into their hands as we became increasingly frustrated.
I agree in part with you I am so pleased where we are and my ONLY criticism is the sloppy passes. As soon as I mention it I am shot down by the few,

I think the manager has to make a decision on Grant. Where his best position is, where he is most effective and where he would have most influence on the game.

Surely he has.

By definition that is the managers job but for every player. But more importantly for the effectiveness of the team overall.

The fact you see Grant as the most important player in the team, paradoxically means the manager must be using him in an effective way. That is to say you obviously think he is playing well and he couldn't do that if he was being employed badly.

Could he be used even more effectively.

That is MAs call.

When Grant is moved to a more central role, his passing skills are better utilised but his pace, physicality and defensive ability are likely to be tested more.

Now when you are behind, chasing games, the improvement in attacking threat is obviously most important.

But at the start of games or when we are leading, the defensive side of things is equally if not more important.

Grant has improved his game without the ball.
The question though is still, would a move in Grant's position increase the overall effectiveness of the whole team.

In terms of results ( unless you think it would have made us beat Liverpool), moving Grant could not have improved them this season, until today.

I have not had chance to read through the thread, but felt they set up in a disciplined way and came away with two more points probably than they originally hoped for. To be fair they worked hard got their men behind the ball and if that was Lincoln in their position we would of been delighted.

We should of had a clear penalty in the first half for the get in front of the defender , stop your run and he will knock you over, (minimum penalty, hopefully depending on situation of other players a red. - personally I hate this but it has been sadly going on since the 90’s) Apart from this I don’t think we can have any complaints as we didn’t work there keeper.