Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

I think contact continued into the box - no complaints at all about their peno. Haven’t read the whole thread but I’ve seen comments on this page about McGrandles peno. That was even more nailed on to me. These things happen. Onwards!

What is annoying ( again) is the lack of consistancy with Referees , anywhere else on the pich the Ref would have given a foul.

Don’t get me started on the ‘fouls’ refs give in the middle of the park these days. It’s pathetic (even when we do it) and completely breaks the game up.

Don’t get me started on the ‘fouls’ refs give in the middle of the park these days. It’s pathetic (even when we do it) and completely breaks the game up.
The number of "soft" free-kick in today's football is my biggest bugment. As you say, it generally kills the flow and speed of many games. Of course, players and managers know this, and that the little things are unlikely to be punished with cards. The upshot is that the "streetwise" use it more and more.
I know we've done our share!

MA thinks BR penalty was outside the area but I had no doubts it was inside from Ifollow, but freeze framing Quest, looks to me like it was outside & then slid into the area. If only the referee had the benefit of slow motion replays !View attachment 42788View attachment 42789
This is a general point and not particularly aimed at you, but this sort of VAR style rubbish is making the game worse not better.
You and everyone else who saw this live, thought it was a penalty because it was a penalty.
Football is a game played on grass watched by people at grounds and refereed by a human being. It's how it's best and should remain.

But just to address the video games players view of the incident, what we see are two pictures. The first is just before a foul has been made, perhaps, the second after the foul has started, perhaps. It isn't clear, not to me anyway.
What would the picture that doesn't exist, the one in between other two, show?
Even if it was always crystal clear I wouldn't want VAR - but as you show here it is rarely clear anyway.

The number of "soft" free-kick in today's football is my biggest bugment. As you say, it generally kills the flow and speed of many games. Of course, players and managers know this, and that the little things are unlikely to be punished with cards. The upshot is that the "streetwise" use it more and more.
I know we've done our share!

I think we’ve been masters of the art the last few years! Makes it infuriating to watch though.

We seem to have a terrible record against Bristol Rovers. I can vaguely remember a win against them in Schoey's season but that's it.
I remember them thumping us in the home playoff game that season. Standing in the Stacey West watching a long rnage rocket in teh first few minute and then Lambert putting us two down in the first ten minutes or so. Great fun!

We didn’t deserve too lose, but weren’t inventive enough in the final third. Nevertheless it will provide vital learning experience playing against a team happy to sit and play on the break; we haven’t come across that so far to date.

Most disappointing today was conceding straight after scoring. If we held onto the lead for 10-15 minutes, the likely outcome would have meant them sacrificing their defensive shape. Nevertheless with a crowd in today, we would have had a penalty first half on McGrandles in which the ref got wrong.

One query though why did Montsma have to go off, yet when their players collided they stayed on? I thought the ref was petty throughout but we did commit sin against frustration a times.

It has been a tough start and in fairness to Bristol Rovers they won’t be no thrills but will frustrate a lot if teams this year.

On the Montsma injury and leaving the field point the IFAB Practical Guidelines for Match Officials states:

"Treatment/assessment after a caution/sending-off
Previously, an injured player who received medical attention on the field of play must leave before the restart. This can be unfair if an opponent caused the injury as the offending team has a numerical advantage when play restarts.
However, this requirement was introduced because players often unsportingly used an injury to delay the restart for tactical reasons. As a balance between these two unfair situations, The IFAB has decided that only for a physical offence where the opponent is cautioned or sent off, an injured player can be quickly assessed/treated and then remain on the field of play.
In principle, the delay should not be any longer than currently occurs when a medical person(s) comes on the field to assess an injury. The difference is that the point at which the referee used to require the medical person(s) and the player to leave is now the point at which the medical staff leave but the player can remain.
To ensure the injured player does not use/extend the delay unfairly, referees are advised to:
  • be aware of the match situation and any potential tactical reason to delay the restart
  • inform the injured player that if medical treatment is required it must be quick
  • signal for the medical person(s) (not the stretchers) and, if possible, remind them to be quick
When the referee decides play should restart either:
  • the medical person(s) leaves and the player remains or
  • the player leaves for further assessment/treatment (stretcher signal may be necessary)
As a general guide, the restart should not be delayed for more than about 20–25 seconds beyond the point when everyone was ready for play to restart.
The referee must make full allowance for the stoppage."

Still don't know if this makes it any clearer!

Can someone sort out who scored Lincoln’s goal yesterday please. According to the BBC Football website report, they quote that Lewis Montsma scored his sixth goal of the season, and Jorge Grant’s free kick was headed home by Lewis Montsma, yet the headline score has Baldwin scoring an own goal 🤔🥴🤪

Match reports on both City and Bristol Rovers websites say it was Montsma, but match stats on both sites have it as an own goal.

Michael Hortin gave it to Montsma, but I think only after seeing the replay on iFollow which does make it look as if he headed it in.

Having watched it a few times in slow motion it looks to me as if Montsma may have missed the ball altogether and the defender behind him put it in off his leg.

Would need a view from behind the goal to get some idea of what really happened.

Having watched it a few times in slow motion it looks to me as if Montsma may have missed the ball altogether and the defender behind him put it in off his leg.

It looks to me that it made contact with M's head, then went straight down, bounced up and the incoming defender blasted it into the net.

x.jpg

Let's hope he gets to 50 (49) goals before we cash in on him. That way we can let Scotimp adjudicate in due course. I have visions of Scotimp burgling Rheady's garden shed to retrieve that trophy.

Last beat Bristol Rovers 1 0 in December 2006 with a Jamie Forrester penalty, last won there in February 2002 2 1.
They've won the last 6 on the bounce.

This is a general point and not particularly aimed at you, but this sort of VAR style rubbish is making the game worse not better.
You and everyone else who saw this live, thought it was a penalty because it was a penalty.
Football is a game played on grass watched by people at grounds and refereed by a human being. It's how it's best and should remain.

But just to address the video games players view of the incident, what we see are two pictures. The first is just before a foul has been made, perhaps, the second after the foul has started, perhaps. It isn't clear, not to me anyway.
What would the picture that doesn't exist, the one in between other two, show?
Even if it was always crystal clear I wouldn't want VAR - but as you show here it is rarely clear anyway.
Without getting into a debate on VAR. I thought it was a penalty based on one not so great TV viewing, as did everyone else. The players who were closest and the coaching team who were actually there didn’t think it was a pen.

Without getting into a debate on VAR. I thought it was a penalty based on one not so great TV viewing, as did everyone else. The players who were closest and the coaching team who were actually there didn’t think it was a pen.

Jackson would say that and anyone in the dugout 60 yards away at ground level, would have less idea than those watching on
I follow.

Perhaps the ref was in the best position to judge!

It matters not one jot now. Its ancient history.

UTI

I remember them thumping us in the home playoff game that season. Standing in the Stacey West watching a long rnage rocket in teh first few minute and then Lambert putting us two down in the first ten minutes or so. Great fun!
I was in the SW as well behind the goal, not the best night ever!