Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

We should pray for 6 weeks of postponements due to Gail (biting into everything including hortin), go into hibernation, and come out again on January second.

There are 6 teams below us. We’ve only beaten 1 (Fleetwood)? So we’ve only proved we’re as good as, or worse than, the others (have yet to play Crewe). That shows our relative position? We’re shit…and we know we are

On my way back now what an awful game. Lots of passing around slowly sideways and backwards and zero penetration.

First game an sincil bank since Feb 2020 and my god the atmosphere has gone. That's the worrying thing. It was just awful to watch with nothing to get excited about. We are in a relegation battle

Very worrying, has MA lost the dressing room as there is no fight at all.

I'm not especially singling this out but it shows the over-reaction we get to defeats.

Had today ended differently and we'd won 1-0 in a game that could have gone either way, we wouldn't be seeing this sort of stuff.

Prior to the tame, tepid Portsmouth midweek game we were actually unbeaten in 5 matches in which we had the better of it against Sheffield Wednesday and Wigan, but fans typically have very, very short memories.

7 days ago we should have beaten Doncaster, too, but didn't - in fact we lost the initiative towards the end of that game - and it's led in to two more bad home performances. Though, actually this one wasn't bad, it was just mediocre.

The winning goal was good from their point of view, terrible from ours. Not for the first time a player was allowed to wade through our midfield onto our back four. His shot was decent but poorly dealt with by Griffiths who pushed it right back into the danger zone where Montsma - who has been a bright light this season but average today - was on his heels allowing a dangerous striker like Bishop a tap in.

Had we scored moments earlier from the chances that fizzed right across the face of their goal the situation would have been very different. Accrington played with a lot more confidence after they'd scored.

Draper could well have equalised on two occasions, and although the subs made positive contributions, I'm not going to suggest that was actually better than it was, because it isn't good enough and everyone must surely know that.

It's not as bleak as some of the pictures are being painted either.

I’ve just got my spreadsheet out and here are some alarmingly stats.
Last 2 home league games we have lost 2 drawn 0 and won 0. Conceded 4 goals whilst ripping the opposing net 0 times.
Still don’t think he needs a bullet. Just an adoption of humility and a will to change.

All our shortcomings are magnified at home. Even when we’re on form firing on all cylinders our home form is bang average so when we’re off it we’re really off it at home. That’s something that MAPP needs to find a way to sort out amongst all his other challenges.

Where are the goals coming from. Point of the spear Draper did his best but Dan no no no clueless Sorenson taken off MA has spotted he is just clogging up midfield. Time for the benchwarmers to show what they've got

This is not even poor. This is another level.

Worst thing is, you're going there and know exactly what to expect. Impotent and boring football for 90 mins.and then you're getting exactly that. No purpose, no pace, no quality,nothing. Shower of crap.
Accrington on the bad run ? No problem they play Appleton's Lincoln next..

Our home form is simply embarrassing. Bang average sides ,relegation contenders coming here and outplaying our ,,footballing side'' with ease.

If that is not relegation form I don't know what is ?

Well just got back home after watching a performance that made Tuesday look good.
Mapp really does need to look at what is happening. We just cannot continue as we are. With the players who are currently available, the system he plays isn’t working and hasn’t for a while.
Today was just awful. Not least as a spectacle for the supporter, it’s just 90 minutes of boredom.
There is nothing to get the crowd on the edge of their seat or to shout about.
Call me what you will, but I like to see us driving forward and creating chances in the box not take a short free kick in the opponents half and work it back to Griffiths, from which we then play ourselves into trouble outside our own box.
A flurry of corners near the end was as good as it it got.
The only real effort we had was a pretty decent header from Freddie.
If we carry on like this, and its clear there will be no change to the way we play, then supporters are going to drift off, and certainly not renew their tickets next season.
We go at Carlisle on Tuesday. The cash prize is vital for January. I just hope we can claim it.

Time to start worrying. We look dreadful and devoid of ideas and it's difficult to see where a change is coming from. Which of these players is going to rally the troops and stand up to be counted? If we don't get it right in January we're in serious danger of going down.

We should be in like Flynn but currently we have the penetrative threat of a flaccid raw sausage. Teddy Bishop tried to take the ball forward in the first half bit we lacked anything on the flanks and passed it too much in the wrong direction. Worrying times

I'm not especially singling this out but it shows the over-reaction we get to defeats.

Had today ended differently and we'd won 1-0 in a game that could have gone either way, we wouldn't be seeing this sort of stuff.

Prior to the tame, tepid Portsmouth midweek game we were actually unbeaten in 5 matches in which we had the better of it against Sheffield Wednesday and Wigan, but fans typically have very, very short memories.

7 days ago we should have beaten Doncaster, too, but didn't - in fact we lost the initiative towards the end of that game - and it's led in to two more bad home performances. Though, actually this one wasn't bad, it was just mediocre.

The winning goal was good from their point of view, terrible from ours. Not for the first time a player was allowed to wade through our midfield onto our back four. His shot was decent but poorly dealt with by Griffiths who pushed it right back into the danger zone where Montsma - who has been a bright light this season but average today - was on his heels allowing a dangerous striker like Bishop a tap in.

Had we scored moments earlier from the chances that fizzed right across the face of their goal the situation would have been very different. Accrington played with a lot more confidence after they'd scored.

Draper could well have equalised on two occasions, and although the subs made positive contributions, I'm not going to suggest that was actually better than it was, because it isn't good enough and everyone must surely know that.

It's not as bleak as some of the pictures are being painted either.
It should also be pointed out, that we weren’t that great during the unbeaten run. You can only beat what’s in front of you. If they are crap, the unbeaten run means little in terms of form. A good game at Wigan, granted, but the Wendies were really really poor. I think that unbeaten run was a bit of a red herring that hid problems that are plainly obvious now. Still, lots of time to put things right.

We should be in like Flynn but currently we have the penetrative threat of a flaccid raw sausage. Teddy Bishop tried to take the ball forward in the first half bit we lacked anything on the flanks and passed it too much in the wrong direction. Worrying times
That’s the most concerning for me is the lack of any wing play
Time and time we get the ball going forward and absolutely no option on the wing

Well just got back home after watching a performance that made Tuesday look good.
Mapp really does need to look at what is happening. We just cannot continue as we are. With the players who are currently available, the system he plays isn’t working and hasn’t for a while.
Today was just awful. Not least as a spectacle for the supporter, it’s just 90 minutes of boredom.
There is nothing to get the crowd on the edge of their seat or to shout about.
Call me what you will, but I like to see us driving forward and creating chances in the box not take a short free kick in the opponents half and work it back to Griffiths, from which we then play ourselves into trouble outside our own box.
A flurry of corners near the end was as good as it it got.
The only real effort we had was a pretty decent header from Freddie.
If we carry on like this, and its clear there will be no change to the way we play, then supporters are going to drift off, and certainly not renew their tickets next season.
We go at Carlisle on Tuesday. The cash prize is vital for January. I just hope we can claim it.

We’re certainly struggling, far too pedestrian and lightweight in midfield. I’m confident we’ll come out ok but it’s a tough watch at the minute.

Interesting point about crowds - if they fall off after the first bad run in five years, wouldn’t that say more about our ‘fans’ than the club/team?

The fans deserve better but are generally sticking with the team despite, no pace, no width, little creativity and little goal mouth threat, and one of the worst home records in our league. It is a tough place at the moment, at the Bank. Apps still in credit, but his stubbornness is doing himself few favours.