Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Accrington Stanley

This is not even poor. This is another level.

Worst thing is, you're going there and know exactly what to expect. Impotent and boring football for 90 mins.and then you're getting exactly that. No purpose, no pace, no quality,nothing. Shower of crap.
Accrington on the bad run ? No problem they play Appleton's Lincoln next..

Our home form is simply embarrassing. Bang average sides ,relegation contenders coming here and outplaying our ,,footballing side'' with ease.

If that is not relegation form I don't know what is ?

Veritas is the truth yes? Well the truth is I dont think you are an Imp .Prove me wrong.

I’ve been considering whether we need to change the tactics or formation but if I’m honest ( on the players currently available) don’t think it would make that much difference, I just don’t think they’re good enough whatever style we play.
As someone said previously (& speaking as an optimistic sort) it’s just totally boring to watch and I do worry we are rapidly losing the crowd & atmosphere we’d got ourselves renowned for.

Not outplayed like Tuesday night but still virtually no midfield creativity, and a complete lack of urgency throughout. As soon as the team was announced it was almost inevitable that we were not going to score and best result would be 0-0. What happened to the Portsmouth ‘post match’ suggesting many changes?

We eventually lost because one of their players believed in his own ability, took us on, and got a decent shot off which could only be parried and Bishop just doesn’t miss an opportunity like that.

Positives were few and far between: Draper will have learned from his second game leading the line. The substitutes, particularly Adelakun, made a contribution late on. Otherwise we were bereft of pace and ideas; we certainly have a fight on our hands, and at the moment it is difficult to see us being clear of a relegation scrap.

I'm not especially singling this out but it shows the over-reaction we get to defeats.

Had today ended differently and we'd won 1-0 in a game that could have gone either way, we wouldn't be seeing this sort of stuff.

Prior to the tame, tepid Portsmouth midweek game we were actually unbeaten in 5 matches in which we had the better of it against Sheffield Wednesday and Wigan, but fans typically have very, very short memories.

7 days ago we should have beaten Doncaster, too, but didn't - in fact we lost the initiative towards the end of that game - and it's led in to two more bad home performances. Though, actually this one wasn't bad, it was just mediocre.

The winning goal was good from their point of view, terrible from ours. Not for the first time a player was allowed to wade through our midfield onto our back four. His shot was decent but poorly dealt with by Griffiths who pushed it right back into the danger zone where Montsma - who has been a bright light this season but average today - was on his heels allowing a dangerous striker like Bishop a tap in.

Had we scored moments earlier from the chances that fizzed right across the face of their goal the situation would have been very different. Accrington played with a lot more confidence after they'd scored.

Draper could well have equalised on two occasions, and although the subs made positive contributions, I'm not going to suggest that was actually better than it was, because it isn't good enough and everyone must surely know that.

It's not as bleak as some of the pictures are being painted either.

Brendan ffs what the hell are you on about. Please,please do not come on and make any kind of case for that performance.
Nobody but nobody could dress that performance, Tuesdays performance or last Saturdays performance up, they were all dreadful but today's was as bad as anything that's gone before it.
Accrington were the worst team I've seen at the LNER for a long time but they still had enough to beat us.
Honestly it was like watching a tippy tappy 5 a side game between the two eighteen yard boxs.
Nothing and I mean nothing had been learnt from the previous two performances as we continued to struggle to put any sort of attacking game together, well we didn't and worst of all we had no idea how to.
It was over 15 minutes before we actually got in their 18 yard box and in the first half we had a little spell of 3 or 4 minutes of getting a few crosses and shots in without actually causing to many problems, in fact first half I only recall their keeper having one save to make.
I honestly cannot see where the next goal is going to come from. We create nothing and I mean zero from an attacking point of view.
I was actually looking round and people had forgotten they were at a football match, they were engaged in their own little conversations because there was literally nothing happening. The players were playing their knocking it around the back routine and lots of people had just lost interest in the game it was that boring.
Even the 617 lads have stopped singing. There's nothing to cheer. There's no goalmouth action in fact there's just nothing happening to get anyone exited enough to get people out their seats.
I mentioned in the thread earlier that it would be interesting to see if things weren't going to plan whether we had learnt anything from the previous two games in terms of whether we were able to change to any sort of plan b and I think we all have our answer on that question.
Well I can safely say, looking at our league position tonight and the form we are in at the moment that we are not the mid table League 1 team people seem to think we are, we are now in a relegation battle and if you or all the others on here who are happy with the way things are and will and come on here and defend the indefensible and don't think its as bleak as some of the pictures that are being painted then you will get what you deserve ,which is League 2 football next season.

Last edited:
For what its worth,
Sanders not playing, why was he brought to the club ?
Is Bramall injured or frozen out ?
What is happeing with Mair ? Three keepers on the books, is that not a luxury when we need players for other positions.
Archibald out on loan and by all accounts doing well
Longdon not playing and not a regular coming on from the bench.

Add to that the summer recruitment.

We can't afford either financially or otherwise to have players continually on the fringes, they need to be able to effect games in a system that works and to be given a chance to dislodge the regulars.
Not sure why Sanders can't get a game when Sorensen has been abysmal of late..

I think Bramall is injured
We've got 3 keepers as we had to recall Sam Long as WBA wouldn't allow Griffiths to play in the cup.

Archibald may be doing ok, but in a division below, has he found his level?

Longdon is just poor and lucky to even make the bench.

Roll on January as we need some good transfer movement, hopefully to include Sorensen departing asap.

The fact we haven’t scored a league goal in November says it all. (The only goal we have scored in November so far was by Sanders who sits on the bench most of the time, against Bowers and Pitsea.) Looking at the team going to the game on Tuesday I couldn’t see a goal, same again today.

The only time that we look any thing like threatening is when both Draper and Lndulu are on the pitch together, though obviously we loose a midfielder with this, but with only one clean sheet this season,logic says to even get a draw we have to score at least one.

Fioroni and Sorensen have been poor for a time, and today we looked better with the substitutions. I can’t understand how Sanders doesn’t start instead of Sorensen and Dan instead of Fioroni as he currently offers nothing on the pitch.

I didn't hear much chanting from 617, uused to get behind team even when losing!. All I heard was a few Accrington fans and their bloody drum!.

Can we take any positives out of today's match.
The short answer is No.
However we must remind ourselves that this football club and manager nearly got to the championship last season.
Admittedly it was a different set of players and behind closed doors.
I say for the time being we give MAPP a bit more time to turn things around.
We supposedly have big changes coming in January. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I would guess some loanees from premier league clubs and maybe a couple of purchases ( I'm just guessing really )

But one thing is for sure we must start finding ways to score goals, otherwise we are all in for some very cold afternoons and evenings coming up.

I dont know about anybody else, but I was freezing by the final whistle.

Message to Mr Appleton please give us something to get excited about in the next few games ( all ver winnable on paper.)
UTI

Veritas is the truth yes? Well the truth is I dont think you are an Imp .Prove me wrong.

Don't have to prove anything to anyone.

I think I got your drift though. This rhetoric goes more or less like: ,, If you haven't watched us playing hoof ball 40 years ago or so then you're not an Imp and you're not entitled to your opinion. Just look where we were 10 years ago blah blah blah''
Seriously.. ?🙄

Exciting times to be in league one and in such a great place as a club (big gates , great board, bright future etc).

But that also means we are equals with most of the clubs in this division. Apparently we have got great manager too. It is fair to say then that we can expect better than this.
We play good , we play bad, we can always express our opinion. Glad to have discussion and being prove wrong with arguments. No problem.
,,You are not Imp'' sounds like lack of arguments to me.

Last edited:
I remember a Friday night game against Chester (I think) where it kicked off nearly an hour late because they were stuck in traffic. We lost 1-0. I want to say it was Peter Jackson's first game in charge for us.
It was and yet again it happened again today, in a shocking no show, awful just awful.

Quite the surprise when MAPP arrived he pointed to the fact we had no energy and pace. We have gone full circle in that regard - that’s the biggest disappointment in the summer window.

It’s an ugly watch currently, but he needs time - January is a big month. It might tricker and more expensive with current position. Realistically we need 5/6 players and to hit the ground running fast.