Match Thread Forest v Stoke City. | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match Thread Forest v Stoke City.

Please, please, please, CH change shape and personnel. Get some pace in midfield, push fullbacks up the pitch. Whoever is striker give them some support. If we lose so be it but can’t stand this boring motionless football. Weds win will make an interesting end of season game at Derby. Win win.

At least, now that we're mathematically safe, we can enjoy watching the sheep squirm a bit, and also plan for next year.

Contract offers, if they haven't yet been made, now can be.

I'd offer Ribs and Ameobi an extension and, if possible, get Brennan signed up to a longer deal. Sign Christie on a perm if we can. And that's about it.

Seems just to make the play offs youre looking at 80 points. Thats 10 wins more next season than this. Thats a massive turnaround needed, even if CH gets his men, will his philosophy of football actually win that amount of games?
Depends on who's playing next season.

Under CH we've usually been defensively sound and capable of keeping the ball well. What looks boring at 0-0 works better if you take the chances when you get them.

At Norwich and Swansea those qualities gave us a good chance of winning tough away games and we did create some good chances, but missed them. We need better strikers and wingers. Krovinovic (or maybe Johnson) might be the attacking midfielder who can play the killer final ball.

I fancy Rovrum to get 6-7 points from their last 4.
Swansea will beat Derby next week
If we can lose to Weds, then Weds v Derby to stay up is on the cards. I actually think Derby will now go down :-)

Not 100% the results we wanted but we are safe, Derby can’t catch us and they are still in the shit so all in all a pretty decent weekend.

I've been a Forest fan for well over 60 of my 70+ years, and can't remember a time when I've been so disillusioned. I was having my post Fish & Chip lunch nap, opened my eyes just before 3pm and actually had a little debate with myself as to whether I shut my eyes again and continued my nap or stirred myself and watched the game, unfortunately I chose the latter, and I've still got a headache.

I don't know if it's just me that feels like this. but this team is actually in danger of making me fall out of love with Forest. I don't look forward to games in the same way any more, and not really bothered whether I watch or not. The mangers post match interview was just on, but I really couldn't be bothered to listen to the same old rubbish. I really hope that the close season brings some decent rebuilding and rekindles my interest, and gives me a sense of anticipation & optimism for next season.

All I ask is that we have a team that is competitive, puts in the effort plays in a positive fashion and most of all makes me look forward to match days again, but I just can't see it happening

Posh are as good as promoted as well; 9 points clear with 3 games to go, can only be stopped on goal difference and Sunderland aren't on form.

I've been a Forest fan for well over 60 of my 70+ years, and can't remember a time when I've been so disillusioned. I was having my post Fish & Chip lunch nap, opened my eyes just before 3pm and actually had a little debate with myself as to whether I shut my eyes again and continued my nap or stirred myself and watched the game, unfortunately I chose the latter, and I've still got a headache.

I don't know if it's just me that feels like this. but this team is actually in danger of making me fall out of love with Forest. I don't look forward to games in the same way any more, and not really bothered whether I watch or not. The mangers post match interview was just on, but I really couldn't be bothered to listen to the same old rubbish. I really hope that the close season brings some decent rebuilding and rekindles my interest, and gives me a sense of anticipation & optimism for next season.

All I ask is that we have a team that is competitive, puts in the effort plays in a positive fashion and most of all makes me look forward to match days again, but I just can't see it happening
I hear you 100%.

I've seen dozens of blokes on various forums say exactly that over the years.

But it's coming to be the first time I've felt it myself.

I'd rather we were relegated; we deserve to be for one, and it would at least shake things up. We'd score more and eventually be back on the front foot.

I can't imagine ever being on the front foot in this division again. I can't imagine us ever having the quality in the squad to score goals. Other teams seem to manage it but our players seem to have been sterilised of all creativity. They have less movement than subbuteo players

I hear you 100%.

I'd rather we were relegated; we deserve to be for one, and it would at least shake things up. We'd score more and eventually be back on the front foot.

I can't imagine ever being on the front foot in this division again. I can't imagine us ever having the quality in the squad to scAgreedore goals. Other teams seem to manage it but our players seem to have been sterilised of all creativity. They have less movement than subbuteo players
Agreed totally, I often find myself watching other "smaller" clubs when 1 of their players is excelling, and wonder where our scouting system was when that player was moving on from another club. Other teams are able to pick up decent players who are prepared to work hard for the team for a fraction of what we pay in both fees & wages for so called quality players.
I have thought for years that in the football fraternity Forest are seen as an easy touch for inflated wages, and a last pay day as players unwind and ease themselves towards retirement at our expense. I wonder why the powers that be within the club can't see this as well

I agree chap but I also can't help wondering... did you have a fisH cake or battered sausage with your fish and chips chap? Cornflakesman please add the reply to the battered sausage or fish cake spreadsheet please chap.

I agree chap but I also can't help wondering... did you have a fisH cake or battered sausage with your fish and chips chap? Cornflakesman please add the reply to the battered sausage or fish cake spreadsheet please chap.
no mate I'm a man of simple tastes & I just like a nice piece of Haddock ith my chips

Massive respect to you for the long stint following Forest - and I recognise that everyone has different points at which they get a bit disillusioned as a supporter - but I’ve got to ask whether some chunks of memory have gone missing. The last three games have been dismal but I can remember countless times that it’s been worse than this and I’ve been a supporter for about half as long as you have.

At least, now that we're mathematically safe, we can enjoy watching the sheep squirm a bit, and also plan for next year.

Contract offers, if they haven't yet been made, now can be.

I'd offer Ribs and Ameobi an extension and, if possible, get Brennan signed up to a longer deal. Sign Christie on a perm if we can. And that's about it.

Well if “that’s about it” Hughton won’t be in the job come October.

It’s not the prevailing mood on here, but here are some reasons to feel optimistic (well, maybe not overly, but at least reasons to think next season will be an improvement):

1. Supporters in the City Ground, belting out Mull of Kintyre.
2. A manager with a record of getting teams promoted.
3. A manager who - despite a reputation for being negative (people are making too much of this in my opinion) - nevertheless signed technically good, passing midfield players (Krovinovic, Garner) in the first window he had an opportunity to do so. (As opposed to the seemingly endless supply of new defensive midfield players the club previously signed to play in a 4-2-3-1...)
4. A core squad that is capable with a few additions and re-signings of being competitive at the right end of the table.
5. Worrall (if we keep hold of him) & McKenna, potentially the best central defensive partnership we’ve had in a long time.
6. Academy products who’ve had successful L1 loan spells who could step up.

Last edited:
Massive respect to you for the long stint following Forest - and I recognise that everyone has different points at which they get a bit disillusioned as a supporter - but I’ve got to ask whether some chunks of memory have gone missing. The last three games have been dismal but I can remember countless times that it’s been worse than this and I’ve been a supporter for about half as long as you have.
I know what you mean we can all be guilty of using our memories selectively. I can of course remember plenty of miserable periods as a Forest fan, but I don't recall ever not looking forward to a match day as i do now.
Maybe it's an age thing, maybe it's all wrapped up in the generally miserable year we have all endured, perhaps it's because footballers earn such ridiculous amounts these days, yet still go out in matches with what appears to be a couldn't care less attitude and apparent lack of effort in many cases without any regard for fans, which is unforgivable.
Just imagine the reaction they would have got from a packed City ground for their miserable performances on many occasions this season . I can't really say why I feel this way I just know I'm fed up with what we've all had to put up with this season.
I suppose & hope however that come the beginning of next season my old enthusiasm & optimism will have returned, and hope that it is not dashed again by another set of overpaid, underperforming Players.

It’s not the prevailing mood on here, but here are some reasons to feel optimistic (well, maybe not overly, but at least reasons to think next season will be an improvement):

1. Supporters in the City Ground, belting out Mull of Kintyre.
2. A manager with a record of getting teams promoted.
3. A manager who - despite a reputation for being negative (people are making too much of this in my opinion) - nevertheless signed technically good, passing midfield players (Krovinovic, Garner) in the first window he had an opportunity to do so. (As opposed to the seemingly endless supply of new defensive midfield players the club previously signed to play in a 4-2-3-1...)
4. A core squad that is capable with a few additions and re-signings of being competitive at the right end of the table.
5. Worrall (if we keep hold of him) & McKenna, potentially the best central defensive partnership we’ve had in a long time.
6. Academy products who’ve had successful L1 loan spells who could step up.

Dont disagree but alot of ifs buts and maybes.

The players must be tired, mentally as well as physically. The last year has been nuts. Having said that, if they think 20000+ reds are gonna keep quiet with performances such as today they will get a shock.

All about the window now.

I hear you 100%.

I can't imagine ever being on the front foot in this division again. I can't imagine us ever having the quality in the squad to score goals. Other teams seem to manage it but our players seem to have been sterilised of all creativity. They have less movement than subbuteo players

Isn't a bit dangerous to indulge into the 'relegation might be a positive thing' mindset?

We all remember those dire years in League 1. It wasn't a season of jaunts down to quaint little grounds where we ran away with it; it was years of misery that took ages to come back from. The financial hit would be absolutely killer if we went down, and knowing us, it would be years before we even got back in the Championship. Ultimately, you deserve relegation if you don't get enough points, and one way or another, we have.

I fully agree that this season has been pitiful and totally demoralising - but if we have a clear out, bring up Mighten and Johnson, and make a few decent signings, we could get mid-table next year. That's not something to get excited about, but it's better than being in League 1.