Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45 | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Brentford v Aston Villa, Wed 13th Feb, 19:45

Tyrone Mings screaming at the midfield for giving him zero movement/options sums it up for me.
He was probably the only positive I can take from it. Also the fact that smith was not the only, but a big part of building that way of playing at Brentford.

McGuinn is a good player as we know, but too many bad ones / ghosts (looking at you hourihane) around him starts to make him look like a bad player too. But then, even hourihane looked better with more quality (ie, grealish) in the side (still didn’t do enough for me though).
Pep couldn’t improve this lot, perhaps!
It was embarrassing. Haven’t agreed with some decisions lately Ie. Bringing jedinak in the other day.
But another manager merry-go-round would be even more embarrassing. I can’t understand the smith out brigade.
Nothing to do with him being a fan and everything to do with his potential and common sense saying that he can’t turn it around in a day. We’d be even more of a laughing stock getting rid.
Can’t underestimated the difference Grealish and Axel make, in my humble. They lift the performance of McGuinn, Tammy as well.
Bruce/the previous regime had some sort of bizarre agenda to buy every lazy over paid pre Madonna winger we could get our hands on. This is what smith has to work with sadly.

Wow a lot of people want Smith out? Even hearing it at work today! How Bruce got almost 2 years of backing as he was “proven” and a villa fan with a record of getting teams playing good football only get a few months is beyond me. What’s the most rediculous thing I’m reading is how his January signings are all shit when the best players on the pitch last night were Mings & Kalinic?

Ok - the red mist has lifted and I can be constructive in my comments.
While watching the build up on Sky they stated that the current Brentford team cost £7m. Of the 11 in the starting line-up, 10 were signed by Dean Smith. It was his team playing his way. Sky also put up a graphic of a team of players that had been sold by Brentford with a profit of £70m - Dean Smith can take ordinary and emerging players and make them very good. Maupay cost £2m and will probably leave in the summer for 10 times that.
We need to write this season off - we will pick up enough points to prevent relegation after all. The play offs are now a pipe dream, so drop all of the plodders and start giving the kids game time - playing the Dean Smith way. The likes of Whelan, Hourihane, El Ghazi, etc. will never play that way.
Time to start doing what Smith was brought in to do and that is not to emulate he has been promoted 4 times
VTID
UTV
HEITS

I thought Kalinic and Mings did well last night. Neither deserved to be on the losing side. Hause looked like a big centre half playing at full back. The defence actually stood up pretty well to be fair.

We all know the midfield is the problem but seeing as we had to bring in 3 defenders (including Elphick) to boost our defence it was a bit unlikely we'd be bringing in 2 or 3 midfielders as well. I would have liked to see some of the youngsters be blooded but I think we're already planning for next season with them with the loans. I hope this ramsey kid makes the bench again at least Saturday.

Ok - the red mist has lifted and I can be constructive in my comments.
While watching the build up on Sky they stated that the current Brentford team cost £7m. Of the 11 in the starting line-up, 10 were signed by Dean Smith. It was his team playing his way. Sky also put up a graphic of a team of players that had been sold by Brentford with a profit of £70m - Dean Smith can take ordinary and emerging players and make them very good. Maupay cost £2m and will probably leave in the summer for 10 times that.
We need to write this season off - we will pick up enough points to prevent relegation after all. The play offs are now a pipe dream, so drop all of the plodders and start giving the kids game time - playing the Dean Smith way. The likes of Whelan, Hourihane, El Ghazi, etc. will never play that way.
Time to start doing what Smith was brought in to do and that is not to emulate he has been promoted 4 times
VTID
UTV
HEITS

Deano didnt sign the players. They have a transfer committee - which from what I can gather Smith only had a small amount of input

Did he have nothing to do with the players being brought in, or was he working with the recruitment and scouting team? It was my feeling that one of the reasons we got him in was because he'd successfully worked in that kind of set up at Brentford.

Strange experience at their winning goal last night. Total silence at the Villa end. No moaning or finger pointing. No effing ‘n jeffing. Just a surreal, total silence. I took this to be a realisation that 1) their goal had been inevitable for, at least, the last half hour of the game 2) an acceptance that there is to be no improvement this season and, consequently 3) we are witnessing the last weeks of the Villa careers of Grealish, McGinn, loanees Abraham, Mings and Tuanzebe. A long summer awaits.......

Some head wobbling comments on here , but for the record I agree with the radical notion that we give Smith time to build a team in the style that he wants.

I can only guess what he thinks privately , but I bet he can't wait until the summer and clear the decks of most of those players .

The names might look good on paper with international caps by their names etc , but if you use your eyes and watch them play , then the fact is that although they may be good individually , put them together as a team and it just doesn't work.

Some of them just aren't very good full stop.

Did he have nothing to do with the players being brought in, or was he working with the recruitment and scouting team? It was my feeling that one of the reasons we got him in was because he'd successfully worked in that kind of set up at Brentford.

They are trying to emulate the moneyball approach and recruit players based on statistics. Deano may have asked for someone to fill a particular position, but I dont believe he had a say in who that player was.
Some people will try and tell you this is bollox but that is the reason Mark Warburton left, he wanted to have some say in picking them.
Warburton had also just guided them to 5th in the table so they weren't exactly strugglers before he went there.

I had an interesting chat with a Brentford fan on the walk to the ground and he was saying that the whole club play in the same style , and the benefit of that is if a player is injured or sold then they have a replacement who can come in and slot in to place and know exactly what his job is. Doesn't have to be a "name" but someone who fits their style of play. It's stark contrast to us buying everyone elses best players and throwing them together without a plan. Hogan is a prime example of that.

How long that takes to implement I don't know , without looking at their record I think it started with Warburton and they have carried it on pretty successfully over the last few seasons.

It was always noticable to me that our reserves played a different style to Bruce's team so when they were called up should it be a surprise they don't shine as they are playing a totally different way , maybe they aren't good enough anyway.

We need to give Smith time as after years of poor management we need completely rebuilding right throughout the club and we are suffering short term pain , for hopefully long term gain.

Basically, most of our players haven't got what it takes and the ones who have wil be off in the summer. On the plus side so will a bunch of of them who can't cut it.
DS is going to have his work cut out sorting that out.

A lot of Brentford lads in the pub reckoned Smith had very little impact compared to how Warburton had them playing.

They may have just been winding us up as Smith left them, but looking at us lately questions are surely going to be asked.

We are not even able to do the basics from what i can see.

I can only assume Jacks hair product was keeping us alert before games, half of them look half asleep.

Can we bring in ten new players in the Summer? All fast and powerful plus able to pass and move?

These unknowns like Brentford can find - would be lovely but do we have this at the Villa?

I thought Kalinic and Mings did well last night. Neither deserved to be on the losing side. Hause looked like a big centre half playing at full back. The defence actually stood up pretty well to be fair.

We all know the midfield is the problem but seeing as we had to bring in 3 defenders (including Elphick) to boost our defence it was a bit unlikely we'd be bringing in 2 or 3 midfielders as well. I would have liked to see some of the youngsters be blooded but I think we're already planning for next season with them with the loans. I hope this ramsey kid makes the bench again at least Saturday.

I hope he starts

Can we bring in ten new players in the Summer? All fast and powerful plus able to pass and move?

These unknowns like Brentford can find - would be lovely but do we have this at the Villa?

That's why we have to be patient. It could take another 2 or 3 windows to get all the players in that are needed.

Will we have the financial muscle, FFP wriggle room, and be able to attract decent players after a 4th/5th/6th year in this division?

I think we were primed to go up this season and then make the most of our owners bank balances in the big league, but Smith is making a right royal balls up of it.