Man's best friend | Page 4 | Vital Football

Man's best friend

I've heard about Spaniels doing that a lot, but not Retrievers. I'll have to look it up. The psychology fascinates me.

Yes. I love little traits they have that are deep rooted in their DNA.
Quite often get woken up at night by the sound of her 'digging' in her bed which I'm led to believe is them digging out a sleeping area as they would in the wild.

They know a lot more than we give them credit for.

When my friend was dying of cancer, they bought her home. Their mad Border Terrier usually never stopped. I put her on the bed, and she just lay next to her, quietly and well behaved. It made us all cry.

Not experienced that, but ours 'hung around' anyone who was ill in the house, nuzzling, paw over, licking etc but not manically like she usually was. I also have a vivid memory with both kids where they were set for a small smack on the jacksie, and she got in the middle to slow both me and Claire down with a look that said 'breathe'.

Kids got suitably chastised for their actions ultimately but short of the first week when we had her and we had to establish pecking order, it was the only time she basically defied us - if that makes sense.

Her whole behaviour is actually why I'm reticent to get another dog, because I will wrongly compare a new dog to her.

They definitely aren't dumb though, and they are often talked down when it comes to intelligence and the 'sixth sense' talk. In fairness my experience of cats is exactly the same as well lol

Yeah, digging and circling, like they're flattening grass.

Is it bad of me that I've got to look after two English Bulldogs next week, and I'm not looking forward to it? I have never really taken to them.

Beautiful as puppies, but they are very slobbery dogs.

Most beautiful dog I ever saw was an all white boxer dog - everyone was stopping in Stratford looking at him and he had a look about him that he knew!

Most other dogs don't like Bulldogs, because they can't read their face. I think that why I am not keen. I'm used to the expressions from other dogs.

And Boxer's are awesome dogs. Stupid as anything, but awesome. A white one sounds great.

Beautiful as puppies, but they are very slobbery dogs.

Most beautiful dog I ever saw was an all white boxer dog - everyone was stopping in Stratford looking at him and he had a look about him that he knew!

LOL Boxers do have that 'look at me' trait don't they. I love it.

One of our neighbours has one and as a pup (half a metre off the ground and built like a brick...house even then) got free. Just wanted to meet people, came up to our door, parents door, other neighbours doors and once he'd met them (so to speak) bolted to the next.

But had that stance and face of 'well hello then, I should be here, why are you confused'.

When was that taken, SJH? The can't still be kittens, can they?

I love all animals, and that includes cats. They really are an enigma.

That was around 2 years ago so they're a lot bigger now obviously, but not overly big, they're like little teddy bears when you lift them up lol.

Yeah, enigma is right. They have completely different personalities, Dennis is a lot more social and loves attention (too much) and Dee is like an angry little goth who has no time for people at all (except me of course).

We have three cats. One is the boss, and makes sure the others know it. His brother is a fat, lazy lump. And the third is a young interloper we adopted from a neighbour who was struggling. He tried to take charge, but now just submits, but there is still that spark there, where you know he's got plans.

Last edited:
Love cats, they are fascinating. Beautiful little things. Then again, love wild cats as well and not sure I would say they were beautiful little things if they were coming my way, I would be saying ta'ra a bit to loved ones LOL

I've heard about Spaniels doing that a lot, but not Retrievers. I'll have to look it up. The psychology fascinates me.
When we first saw our Springer she was one of a litter of nine.
She was at the back of the enclosure they were in, and upon seeing us she ran up to the pup that was holding a toy pheasant in its mouth, snatched it and shoved her way to the front and sat upright and presented it to us.
I think she chose us, not us chosing her.

Yeah, digging and circling, like they're flattening grass.

Is it bad of me that I've got to look after two English Bulldogs next week, and I'm not looking forward to it? I have never really taken to them.
My daughter had one and I found it difficult to take to on the odd occasion I saw it.
Not had that with a dog before.