Kent Cricket | Page 5 | Vital Football

Kent Cricket

74!!! Well it wasn't a bad effort from the tail but the rest least said.Jimmy Anderson is a fabulous bowler but I do agree about batting first.

I notice that one of the Lancashire openers hit a six in the first over of their reply and went on to score 47 off 43 balls.

A few games ago, Kent were collapsing against a moving ball, as per usual, until Stevo went in and scored 190 in 149 balls.

How long will it be before captains start assessing difficult pitches and conditions and realise that it would probably be a better plan to just attack the bowling straight away, before batsmen get the wicket taking ball with their name on it.

At least Anderson may than have ended up with figures like 7 for 120 !!

I notice that one of the Lancashire openers hit a six in the first over of their reply and went on to score 47 off 43 balls.

A few games ago, Kent were collapsing against a moving ball, as per usual, until Stevo went in and scored 190 in 149 balls.

How long will it be before captains start assessing difficult pitches and conditions and realise that it would probably be a better plan to just attack the bowling straight away, before batsmen get the wicket taking ball with their name on it.

At least Anderson may than have ended up with figures like 7 for 120 !!
Not so sure it was down to the pitch.i think the overcast sky's would have helped Anderson a fair bit.The guy is probably the most dangerous bowler in the world under those conditions.I do agree though at times it is probably better to give it a go by spreading the field it would then mean fewer in close catching positions.

It's down to our team being a f###ing disgrace. Been shit in the Championship for the last 40+ years. Take out a 45 year old (top scorer yet again even though he is our opening bowler ffs) and we'd be even worse, somehow.

Worst Championship side we've had, certainly in my life time and probably in their entire history.

Can I have Walker's job please? I'll be shit as well but I'd do it for free.

We are the Newcastle of cricket. Great support but inept management and massive underachievement.

Rant over.

I think you are exaggerating a bit about the 40+ years, 58, as we were promoted from the CC Division 2 about three years ago, although Matt Henry played a large part in that.

We were also second to Essex in our Bob Willis Trophy Group last year, and they went on to win it:
Bob Willis Trophy 2020 Table, Matches, win, loss, points for Bob Willis Trophy (espncricinfo.com)

Also, on good pitches and sunny days, most of our batsman do make runs. One is currently in the England Test team as was another until about 18 months ago. Players like Cox and Leaning have scored big runs against the white ball in the T20 this year.

It appears to be the mental side of the game where we are sadly lacking. Whether in the air or off the pitch, movement of ball seems to scramble our batsman's minds to the extent that the team keeps posting ludicrous and embarrassing totals.

How many times does Walker have to watch that being repeated before he sorts it out?

"I think you are exaggerating a bit about the 40+ years, 58, as we were promoted from the CC Division 2 about three years ago, "

Oh wow, we got promoted from the second division. Whoopee. Like Newcastle getting back in the Premiershit. Big deal.

Iirc, came close to winning in about 1996.
That's it. Lost about 7 finals at Lords and won a couple of slap and tickle 20/20's (or is it just one?).

Although we do have a high membership, a certain percentage (a mate of mine included) paid a lump sum for life membership at least a couple of decades ago through a club scheme, when they need to raise money for something, which means that those members get sent their membership card each year, and do not pay any more, apart from for refreshments (and up to a few years ago they were even given a couple of free beer vouchers).

There was a season a few years back when Kent were in financial difficulties and could not afford an overseas signing, but they have since been buoyed by money from the development of flats and a supermarket at St Lawrence, at the expense of their car park.

Counties with Test grounds will always have a huge income advantage, hence why Surrey always get the best overseas players as well as highly rated players moving from other counties.

The only silver lining is that teams like Somerset and Essex seem to be able to buck that trend at the moment, and either win or compete for trophies. No reason we should not either, but only in the same way that Newcastle should be able to do so in the football.

Whole England ODI squad to be replaced after several positive tests, Zak Crawley has been called up. Kent get to bring in a replacement for the 2nd innings. Someone able to make double figures would be nice.

In normal circumstances, the weather forecast for Manchester would put paid to this game, but there may be enough breaks in the rain for Lancashire to declare at their current total and bowl Kent out for under 34 for an innings win.

I am not even joking as we were 34 for 8 at one time yesterday.

As I type Kent are very likely to lose by an innings in spite of half the match being rained off.

F###ing dreadful.

As a kid, being a Kent ST holder made up for being a Gills fan. It's the opposite now.

Denly choosing to bat first on a green wicket v Anderson. We are pathetic anyway but that put the tin hat on it.

I see the 'wonderkid' who replaced Crawley got about 7. That's about 5 more rhan if we'd kept Crawley.