Kent Cricket | Vital Football

Kent Cricket

RotherhitheGill

Vital 1st Team Regular
Don't really understand the nitracrines of cricket, but it looks like we are being turned over so far this season - what's going wrong?

In short - opposition tail enders helping themselves to centuries on pitches that our top batting order then make look like a minefield.

This time, we had won the toss and put them in.

In to the third match and Bell-Drummond and Denly have not made a score worth mentioning. Crawley seems to have finally woken up a bit today but with Lancs scoring 500+ another heavy, possibly innings, defeat looks inevitable.

Only limited overs to look forward to, already, and we are not yet out of April.

Had to look up nitracrines as I've never heard of it!

"Nitracrine is an acridine derivative with potential cytostatic and antitumor activities.
Molecular Formula: C18H20N4O2"

That’s utter shite from Kent today. Should have knocked them over for under 300, but allowed nothing tailenders to take them past 500 and then, Anderson light, we allowed a no-mark bowing line up to have us in bits by close.

We’re really struggling this season so far.

Yep. Bitterly disappointed. Was quite hopeful for this season. Think Crawley was playing with a blindfold until today. As usual, only Stevens worth his salt.

I was brought up on Kent being the best team in the country. Shite for the last 40 odd years. Cricket's version of Newcastle for underachievement compared to support and potential.

Kent's form has fallen off a cliff. Last season it was pretty good but we seem to be weak all round, especially in the bowling department. Latest effort v Glamorgan is pathetic.

Kent's form has fallen off a cliff. Last season it was pretty good but we seem to be weak all round, especially in the bowling department. Latest effort v Glamorgan is pathetic.

How does 138 all out suggest we have a problem in the bowling department?

"Front line batsman" Jack Leaning's last 5 efforts have been 0,0,12,0 and 2. I suspect he makes a cup of tea before he goes out to bat as it sure as hell will not have gone cold by the time he is back in the pavilion.

The silver lining is that if the England selectors have been watching, Crawley and Denly will be available for County cricket all season.

Still, it is good to know that some people have kept their sense of humour:
Kent's Heino Kuhn says they can turn their season around in the County Championship (kentonline.co.uk)

F'ing shite. I was brought up on Underwood, Knott, Sheherd, Cowdrey, Asìf etc. This lot aren't fit to clean their boots.

What the f### have those in charge been up to for the last 40 years?

How does 138 all out suggest we have a problem in the bowling department?

"Front line batsman" Jack Leaning's last 5 efforts have been 0,0,12,0 and 2. I suspect he makes a cup of tea before he goes out to bat as it sure as hell will not have gone cold by the time he is back in the pavilion.

The silver lining is that if the England selectors have been watching, Crawley and Denly will be available for County cricket all season.

Still, it is good to know that some people have kept their sense of humour:
Kent's Heino Kuhn says they can turn their season around in the County Championship (kentonline.co.uk)
What part of "weak all round" did you miss? Our batting is definitely poor but other sides seem to really enjoy our bowling, Stevens excepted, and he's the wrong side of 40.

What part of "weak all round" did you miss? Our batting is definitely poor but other sides seem to really enjoy our bowling, Stevens excepted, and he's the wrong side of 40.

Our best bowler, Podmore, has picked up an injury and, for some reason, Grant Stewart has been left out of our last two games. We have also chosen not to play a spinner, when Lancashire's spinner took seven wickets in the second innings against us in the last game.

Our overseas paceman, Cummins, has been a disappointment so far, though, particularly when compared to Matt Henry a couple of years back.

Still not sure how we are meant to defend a total like 138.

Stevens is 45 years old tomorrow. Just shows how shite the rest are.

Our best bowler, Podmore, has picked up an injury and, for some reason, Grant Stewart has been left out of our last two games. We have also chosen not to play a spinner, when Lancashire's spinner took seven wickets in the second innings against us in the last game.

Our overseas paceman, Cummins, has been a disappointment so far, though, particularly when compared to Matt Henry a couple of years back.

Still not sure how we are meant to defend a total like 138.
Agreed. For Cummins, read Hartley Alleyne. F'ing useless.

Supporting Kent and being a Man of Kent somewhat made up for being a true Gills fan as a kid. Now, in relative terms, Kent are worse in spite of their decent support. Shame on them.

Going even better in the 2nd innings. 46/6, still need another 13 runs to avoid an innings defeat.

That's an innings defeat to a team who scored 197 all out.

72 for 8, now. Those bloody bowlers !

Kent seem to be get much better totals in limited over games, so I don't know why they don't just go out and throw the bat. How could that be any worse?

Glamorgan started the game next to bottom of the table and are going to polish Kent off in 2 days. Says it all really.

Don't know whether Fat Matt will reappear from the lunch tent some time soon to give them any net practice, or not bother.

If Heino Kuhn still thinks they can win the County Championship, I'll have some of what he is smoking. Mind you, he is top scorer at the moment with a beautifully constructed 14.

Last edited:
I see that the Club has extended the deadline for ballot applications for tickets to attend matches. The given reason. The high level of demand. The real reason. No demand whatsoever.