Kent Cricket | Page 6 | Vital Football

Kent Cricket

Gills 58 - where's your comment for tonight's match? Into the last 8 with games to spare :party:
Yes, they've redeemed themselves a little, especially by humiliating chequebook Surrey.

Very pleased but still expect a better showing from the side in what I call 'proper' cricket. I'm not asking/expecting the team to be at the top near permanently, as they were in my teens (70's) but the average County Championship performance for 40+ years has been pretty poor. As I said, cricket's equivalent of Newcastle (especially at losing cup finals at Lords instead of Wembley).

The bizarre thing is that Kent have amassed 15 batting points, one more than Yorkshire who top the group, and two more than Glamorgan.

It seems that we can fill our boots on flat pitches in the sun but the batsmen collapse like a pack of cards if there is ANY help for the bowlers with the red ball.

That has been the case for a few seasons (as I mentioned earlier some incredible bowling from Matt Henry covered it up in our promotion year).

Shirley there must be some coaching techniques that would at least stop us posting such embarrassingly low totals when there is help for the bowlers. If not, some will need to learn to counter attack in the way Stevens did.

Interesting development at Beckenham today where Kent are playing Sussex in the first day of a four day game.

Following the match against Slurrey on Friday a Covid case has been identified in the Kent squad meaning that the whole team from Friday night have to isolate for 10 days.

The start at Beckenham was delayed until 12 noon to enable Kent to coble together a side which contains 5 debutants.

Sussex are currently 157 for 7 with an18 year old medium pacer, Jaskaran Singh currently having achieved figures of 4 -51, including 4 of the top 5.

Last edited:
Interesting development at Beckenham today where Kent are playing Sussex in the first day of a four day game.

Following the match against Slurrey on Friday a Covid case has been identified in the Kent squad meaning that the whole team from Friday night have to isolate for 10 days.

The start at Beckenham was delayed until 12 noon to enable Kent to coble together a side which contains 5 debutants.

Sussex are currently 157 for 7 with an18 year old medium pacer, Jaskaran Singh currently having achieved figures of 4 -51, including 4 of the top 5.
Well done to the lads regardless of the result they can kick more senior professionals well and truly up the backside.

At Canterbury East waiting for train back to London. After 2/3rds of a days cricket. Both teams have had Covid issues and although Sussex have batted badly, the Kent team have battled well. Jaz Singh (er) got 4 on his debut, he’s a real diamond…

At Canterbury I believe. Venue changed.

At Canterbury I believe. Venue changed.
Yes - at Canterbury. The first team are isolating and will miss the remaining T20 games this month. Some of the second string can play. The start was delayed as players were plucked from anywhere and everywhere while contracts and insurance were being arranged. Dan Lincoln has played Minor Counties cricket, but is perhaps better known as a highly rated goal keeper on the non-league circuit - apparently Arsenal were interested in him a couple of years ago. With all this upheaval, one thing is likely to remain a constant as this game looks like being affected by the weather.

Yes - at Canterbury. The first team are isolating and will miss the remaining T20 games this month. Some of the second string can play. The start was delayed as players were plucked from anywhere and everywhere while contracts and insurance were being arranged. Dan Lincoln has played Minor Counties cricket, but is perhaps better known as a highly rated goal keeper on the non-league circuit - apparently Arsenal were interested in him a couple of years ago. With all this upheaval, one thing is likely to remain a constant as this game looks like being affected by the weather.
Plays for Bognor, according to people in the crowd yesterday

Yes - at Canterbury. The first team are isolating and will miss the remaining T20 games this month.

Just as well that we had just qualified for the T20 quarter finals which do not take place until late August, due to this new Hundred competition.

I think it will have a domino effect. Will almost certainly mean that we will lose our 2 remaining group games with a diminishing net run rate and drop down the table, which will in turn mean that instead of a home game against the side finishing 3rd or 4th in the Northern group, it will be any away game against the 1st or 2nd in the Northern group. I am also not sure that either of our overseas players will be available.

Finals day now looks an unlikely prospect.

Further to the last message, I now see that Derbyshire and Essex have been allowed to abandon their County Championship game today due to Covid.

Considering our whole T20 side will be ruled out of our last two games for the same reason, would we be allowed to do the same, and take one point each?

Then we would probably end up topping our group.

Jaskaran Singh was playing against my lot's first team 3 years ago as a 15 year old for Bexley 3rd XI in the Regional League, taking a couple of 1fers.

Regardless of the circumstances, that's a helluva progression over three summers!

Easily beat Middlesex yesterday, despite having 15 players isolating, guaranteed top spot ensuring a home tie in 1/4 final.

Outstanding, particularly as Podmore and Quinn have played sod all 20/20 cricket. although they may have bowled more with the white ball in 50 over cricket.

From the first XI being hit to all corners of the ground by centurion Tom Banton at Canterbuty on TV recently, to a completly scratch side bowling Middlesex out for 80 at the home of cricket.

This certainly is a strange summer.

A bit like with England, the last minute Covid-induced squad change for Kent has worked wonders - no real effect on the results, but has enabled us to blood and test younger and new players, so the squad has nice depth now - especially handy for the 50 over tournament about to start, with some of our best players being lost to the disgrace that is the Hundred. We should be in fine fettle for the T20 Blast QF at the end of August.

Anyone else on here boycotting the "Hundred" like me?

It will be the death of county cricket. Any "supporter" of a so called team will automatically be a plastic imo. Rather like the tossers who claim to be Liverpool/Manure fans.

It will be the death of county cricket. Any "supporter" of a so called team will automatically be a plastic imo. Rather like the tossers who claim to be Liverpool/Manure fans.
Steps forward, raises hand - I'm Sparticus. Planning to get to a couple of Kent 50 over games.

Counties were sceptical about 20/20 when it was introduced and did not take it seriously for a few seasons before it really took off.

However, there seems to be a bit of Harlem Globetrotters about the Hundred. It appears to be a way of making stars of individual players rather than creating a team ethic.

Considering a hundred balls is 16.4 overs, is the game really going to be that different from 20/20? I think there might be something like 8 ball overs or something but that is hardly revolutionary.

Clearly intended to bring new fans to the game, that have no allegiance to a county, and probably have not followed Cricket until now.

I really hope it does not succeed for the sole reason that the County system brings sport out in to the regions in a way that City based football teams do not.

Putting money and greed in front of fan loyalty put paid to the European Super League in football. I just hope real cricket fans can reject this soulless franchise type idea as well.