JANUARY WINDOW THREAD | Page 14 | Vital Football

JANUARY WINDOW THREAD

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ? ANY THOUGHTS
While Goode has put pen to paper until the end of the campaign, his contract at Brentford is also up this summer.
So is he playing for a long-term contract with Latics?
"We're not quite there yet," admitted Maloney. "In terms of a guy and a character, he's certainly the kind of person I'd love to have around at the club.
"But we're just not there yet in terms of the project, and making decisions on senior players yet."
Probably until we are safe can’t offer anything. It’s a big gamble due to injury’s. Have we not been this road before. With Cousins and Bennett

Goode seems a good player but wouldn't say he's an improvement on Morrison who I rate highly. But, if he can be ours at the end of the season for no outlay then the manager is going to have a good look at him until the season ends. That is tough on Morrison who has done little wrong but does make sense though.

Probably until we are safe can’t offer anything.
I'm not having a pop at you here mate, you're not the only one.

Why are people continuously banging on about "being safe"? Instead of counting how many points we are from safety why can't we show some positivity and look up the table and talk about how many points we are off the top six?

And you lot call me negative. :shake:

On the way home from matches when the results are in (especially after a win) we check the league table to see how far off the top six we are.

Why are people continuously banging on about "being safe"? Instead of counting how many points we are from safety why can't we show some positivity and look up the table and talk about how many points we are off the top six?

On the way home from matches when the results are in (especially after a win) we check the league table to see how far off the top six we are.

And skrike that were not closer.

1 Start of the season stay up
2 Get to plus points as soon as we could
3 Get younger players to extend contracts done
4. Stay around the middle of the table Looks like job done
5 financial Suicide if we did. This season
6 getting everything in place for next season.
You post some good points frank. But the playoff this season was never going to happen.

But the playoff this season was never going to happen.
So the aim this season is mid table and that's it? I would want us to finish as high up as we possibly can without restrictions such as "financial suicide" on the very slim chance we do get promoted.

Its a very slim chance...But just say we did make the play offs this season what then? Or if we even get a sniff of the play offs with a couple of games to go, what then?

Can you see where I'm going with this?

So the aim this season is mid table and that's it? I would want us to finish as high up as we possibly can without restrictions such as "financial suicide" on the very slim chance we do get promoted.

Its a very slim chance...But just say we did make the play offs this season what then? Or if we even get a sniff of the play offs with a couple of games to go, what then?

Simple. Fact is frank it won’t happen we will be at best ten points of the playoffs. Even if we did we would be straight back down again. We can’t do that again if we go up we need to be able to stay up.

if you're implying that we'd throw games to miss out on the playoffs, then give your head a wobble. We won't make the playoffs anyway, think (as I did before start), we'll end up with somewhere between 55-65 points on the board (without the 8), which won't be enough anyway.

I admire your optimism in this instance Frank, and hope you will keep looking upwards.

But the truth of the matter is we are nearer the bottom six than the top six at present and until we see the reverse happen results are more important than performance for most of us, and I include the ownership in that.

Once we are safe in mid table then I think we will see a different mindset from the manager and the team, and perhaps the emphasis will then be placed on entertainment value rather than survival.

Goode seems a good player but wouldn't say he's an improvement on Morrison who I rate highly. But, if he can be ours at the end of the season for no outlay then the manager is going to have a good look at him until the season ends. That is tough on Morrison who has done little wrong but does make sense though.
It will come down to money. Bayern would want a fee for Morrison, plus his time with us will have alerted other clubs who will be able to pay more than us in terms of a fee and certainly wages. Our recruitment needs to be really smart in the summer

Yes I also thought this is an odd thing.

I took it that they have not sorted out the player budget for next year. They may offer contracts to senior players, they are talking to some, it depends who accepts what is offered, it depends what the players want, depends if the senior players can get fixed up elsewhere.
Additionally, if we sell anyone and do not get them back on loan.

Too many things to be sorted, in terms of Watts, Morrison and especially Kerr as to who will be bought or retained and if so at what wage before we can determine whether there is room for Goode.
Also will the resulting wage budget leave enough room to offer suitable terms to Goode (only on the fringes at Brentford but assume he’ll still be on a good wage in L1 terms at least.)

av been wating for this to come for months now.

frank: ive put money on us geting to playoffs

some on heer: your stupid. your an ideot. were lucky to be were we are. its about safety. it about trying to reach at leest mid table. lets hope we stey up else its choppers.

also same some on heer: can you sey sommart postif frank. your alweys negatif frank. stop talking us down frank.

this bord is fecking hilareous at times.
😂😂 😂😂😂

The likes of Wyke and Humphrys have long since checked out. Here's hoping they'll follow Lang out the door for a fee before the deadline.

It would cut away the fat of a bloated wage bill and perhaps even allow us to bring in a couple of free agents with a point to prove who might actually be willing to cover some ground for a team heading towards the climax of a deeply-consequential relegation scrap.

From Maloney's interview on Radio Manchester, he expects the Lang deal to be done tonight/tomorrow but doesn't see us bringing in a replacement. To be fair, right wing/right of a front 3 probably isn't an area we need to be concerned with. Best to look more towards the summer

Think there will be a couple more out the door before Thursday. Humphrey’s. Will be looking for a way out. Not the same footballer that we saw at the start of the season. Watts if someone will take his loan deal up. He will be gone or he will be sat in the stands and needs game time

The likes of Wyke and Humphrys have long since checked out. Here's hoping they'll follow Lang out the door for a fee before the deadline.

It would cut away the fat of a bloated wage bill and perhaps even allow us to bring in a couple of free agents with a point to prove who might actually be willing to cover some ground for a team heading towards the climax of a deeply-consequential relegation scrap.
Why haven't you included Magennis with the above? Him scoring a penalty today was ironically bad news; he'll get to play (or rather appear) on a regular basis. He does NOWT!

Think there will be a couple more out the door before Thursday. Humphrey’s. Will be looking for a way out. Not the same footballer that we saw at the start of the season. Watts if someone will take his loan deal up. He will be gone or he will be sat in the stands and needs game time

Just to add (didn't realise it myself till earlier today), the deadline is Thursday 1st Feb 11pm not 31st January. Presume it's because of the PL games midweek, but I can remember us playing at Spurs one year on deadline day, was rumoured Rodellega was going to sign for them after the game

Birmingham City and Preston North End eye goalkeeper​

Birmingham City and Preston North End are interested in Wigan Athletic goalkeeper Sam Tickle, reports Alan Nixon.​

Birmingham City and Preston North End are both being linked with a swoop for the highly-rated League One stopper.

Tickle is apparently being watched by Everton and some other unnamed Premier League clubs, as detailed in a report by The Athletic.

He is under contract at Wigan until the summer of 2026 meaning they are under no pressure to cash in on him anytime soon unless the right offer comes in for him.

The Warrington-born man has made 34 appearances in all competitions during the first-half of this campaign and has kept 11 clean sheets.