JANUARY WINDOW THREAD | Page 13 | Vital Football

JANUARY WINDOW THREAD

Wages are way to much , can't see this lot paying stupid wages to do so would be crazy
Unless leeds pay a huge chunk of it , but I see this has a real no go just a story to get bigger clubs involved
I think the owners are more interested in cutting the wage bill not increasing it
I think your second bit about wages will be a no go anyway , when Joe went to Sunderland last year it was because Leeds wanted his full wages and a loan fee from us and would not budge despite him wanting to come here. That is not hearsay it was from his dad.
That being the case I doubt Leeds would be any different this time and as you say to prompt a reaction from wealthier clubs than us.

Considering (according to sources) we were paying £9K per week for Rekik and he's now gone back to Arsenal, could Gelhardt be on much more than that?

Maloney said Arsenal were very helpful on wages to allow him to come and get game time. He might be on 9k at Arsenal but we wouldn't have been covering the full amount. EFL probably wouldn't let us even if we wanted to due to our restrictions.

Gelhardt apparently on something like 18k, so we'd need Leeds to be subsidising probably 75%+ of his wages and there are a few other clubs from Championship abd SPL looking at him who probably could afford to pay a lot more towards his wages. So I can't see us getting him.

Maloney said Arsenal were very helpful on wages to allow him to come and get game time. He might be on 9k at Arsenal but we wouldn't have been covering the full amount. EFL probably wouldn't let us even if we wanted to due to our restrictions.

Gelhardt apparently on something like 18k, so we'd need Leeds to be subsidising probably 75%+ of his wages and there are a few other clubs from Championship abd SPL looking at him who probably could afford to pay a lot more towards his wages. So I can't see us getting him.
18 k a week is ridiculous even in the greed league. No matter how poor owners are the root of footballs football's problem is the disgusting amounts that go out on players and the size of squads.

We are not going down. No benefit to bringing in Dack/Gelhardt etc on big (even if subsidised by the parent club) wages. I'd rather throw that money on contract renewals for Jones/Humphrys or even yet another Charlie Hughes one with an eight figure buy out clause.
It’s all just paper talk like last time. This club will never go down the path of paying large wages again. It will be more cut backs on wages not more. Is Gelhardt as good as we thought. Probably not. Every player will find his or her level. Bottom end of the Championship. Think that’s the lads level. Leeds manager top bloke at this level and doesn’t fancy him.

I think Joe G is a bit of an enigma and finding the right position for him is key …but that position (whatever it is) may not even be available in a given manager’s preferred set up ?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Maloney said recently that if Lang goes we're looking to replace him. With us already having more than 5 loans you can field i imagine we'd be looking to try and pick someone up who's current club is willing to allow them to leave on a free.

I fully expect Lang to go, it's just a case of how much we can get for him. It's a shame though as i think if used on the right he's a massive asset at this level, but he's simply not got the attributes to play as a no10 and we've pretty much refused to put him in his correct position no matter how much he's struggled in the middle. If he goes to Portsmouth he'll likely go back on the right and start banging in goals and assists again which will be frustrating.

I think the insistence on how we've used Lang this season has just been cutting off our nose to spite our face unfortunately as it's just destroyed his confidence, got the fans on his back and now he feels the need to leave.

If we wanted to try and put Lang in a different position for whatever reason we'd have been better trying to do what we did with Jones on the left and give him a try as an attacking right wing back at least when we were chasing games. He's got the workrate, energy and fitness to get up and down the pitch and it would allow him more chances to pick up the ball in space out wide and run 1 on 1 with the opposition full back. Which is his main strength that he's struggled to do in centre mid where he is often picking up the ball with his back to goal and crowded out or muscled off the ball. I'm not saying he'd definitely work as a wing back by any means, but i think he'd have had more chance there than in central attacking mid.

Considering Chambers and Goode arrived on the back of Balagizi and Rekik going back i think it's reasonable to assume that it'll be a 1 in 1 out between now and the window shutting.

Watts is clearly not wanted but it seems Newcastle wont allow us to send him back either, so i imagine his agent will be trying to find him a new club, so hopefully that will happen so we can free up a wage that will otherwise just be sitting in the stands every week.

I could see Wyke potentially attracting interest but his wages make his exit difficult for anyone. I could see Sze potentially getting a loan move which would be good for him too. There will probably also be some interest we're not expecting or wanting too but hopefully we wont lose any of our star men.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Maloney said recently that if Lang goes we're looking to replace him. With us already having more than 5 loans you can field i imagine we'd be looking to try and pick someone up who's current club is willing to allow them to leave on a free.

I fully expect Lang to go, it's just a case of how much we can get for him. It's a shame though as i think if used on the right he's a massive asset at this level, but he's simply not got the attributes to play as a no10 and we've pretty much refused to put him in his correct position no matter how much he's struggled in the middle. If he goes to Portsmouth he'll likely go back on the right and start banging in goals and assists again which will be frustrating.

I think the insistence on how we've used Lang this season has just been cutting off our nose to spite our face unfortunately as it's just destroyed his confidence, got the fans on his back and now he feels the need to leave.

If we wanted to try and put Lang in a different position for whatever reason we'd have been better trying to do what we did with Jones on the left and give him a try as an attacking right wing back at least when we were chasing games. He's got the workrate, energy and fitness to get up and down the pitch and it would allow him more chances to pick up the ball in space out wide and run 1 on 1 with the opposition full back. Which is his main strength that he's struggled to do in centre mid where he is often picking up the ball with his back to goal and crowded out or muscled off the ball. I'm not saying he'd definitely work as a wing back by any means, but i think he'd have had more chance there than in central attacking mid.

Considering Chambers and Goode arrived on the back of Balagizi and Rekik going back i think it's reasonable to assume that it'll be a 1 in 1 out between now and the window shutting.

Watts is clearly not wanted but it seems Newcastle wont allow us to send him back either, so i imagine his agent will be trying to find him a new club, so hopefully that will happen so we can free up a wage that will otherwise just be sitting in the stands every week.

I could see Wyke potentially attracting interest but his wages make his exit difficult for anyone. I could see Sze potentially getting a loan move which would be good for him too. There will probably also be some interest we're not expecting or wanting too but hopefully we wont lose any of our star men.
Not sure how true before I get shot down. But was told last week that Wyke as already took a big pay cut. Due to the cost of insurance

Not sure how true before I get shot down. But was told last week that Wyke as already took a big pay cut. Due to the cost of insurance

No idea on the logistics of something like that but I'd have thought a players insurance price would be agreed when the player initially signed for the length of his contract. So I wouldn't have thought the premium would change until the end of his current deal. But I could be way off on that.

Last edited:

oi. now dont stray awey agen mon.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ? ANY THOUGHTS
While Goode has put pen to paper until the end of the campaign, his contract at Brentford is also up this summer.
So is he playing for a long-term contract with Latics?
"We're not quite there yet," admitted Maloney. "In terms of a guy and a character, he's certainly the kind of person I'd love to have around at the club.
"But we're just not there yet in terms of the project, and making decisions on senior players yet."