Imps in Exile | Page 5 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Living in Rasen, we used to hear/see the Lightnings from Binbrook - you knew when they were around!
The sound of freedom! No sound like the Lightnings taking off, I have a hearing loss to prove it. I was lucky to be on 5 Sqn at Binbrook before they were phased out in the 80s, and what an aircraft they were. A shame we don't have a display aircraft, but I don't think they would get safety approval in this age. A few were still flying in South Africa until not long ago, and offering "pay per trip" experiences. One for Clive!
Needless to say not Binbrook below but Akrotiri on the annual APC.
5 lineys.jpg

Welcome aboard!

You're probably more 'Lincolnshire' than many of us on here including me - Lincs born but English and Welsh parents and grandparents, father in the RAF posted to 'Bomber County', theres a fair few Lincolnshire residents and Imps supporters with that background.
Me included. I was actually born at RAF Halton in Bucks. Obviously dad was in the RAF & got posted to Germany for 3 years then, when we came back, we ended up at RAF Scampton (home of 617 Squadron). We lived in Welton then in a married quarter on the base then moved to Cherry Wellingham when dad left the RAF.

These nostalgia threads are the best on here. Tell you what I miss nowadays, the old-fashioned full and proper league table which showed won, draw, loss at home, goals for and against, and then the same for away games. These modern, cut-down tables just won't do.
Bloody right - when did home and away form become irrelevant? I still Google the home & away tables each week, or two, especially for opponents.

Me included. I was actually born at RAF Halton in Bucks. Obviously dad was in the RAF & got posted to Germany for 3 years then, when we came back, we ended up at RAF Scampton (home of 617 Squadron). We lived in Welton then in a married quarter on the base then moved to Cherry Wellingham when dad left the RAF.

I was born in Cherry Willingham (who would of guessed from my handle) because my father was posted to Scampton to serve out the last year of his National Service. My parents were from London (one via Norfolk) and we left in 1979 when I was 11, but not before being seasoned in the 1975/6 crowds and the visits of Taylor, Ward and Freeman to the local school and Scout Hut.

I was born in Cherry Willingham (who would of guessed from my handle) because my father was posted to Scampton to serve out the last year of his National Service. My parents were from London (one via Norfolk) and we left in 1979 when I was 11, but not before being seasoned in the 1975/6 crowds and the visits of Taylor, Ward and Freeman to the local school and Scout Hut.
I lived in Cherry (& went to the secondary school there) between 1969 & ’71 when I moved down to London to join the Civil Service. Used to get home occasionally, especially during the Taylor years, but saw most games in London & SE, especially Cup games (QPR, Tottenham, Leicester & best one was the replay at West Ham (Upton Park). Lost count of the number of times I saw the Imps at Orient.

The sound of freedom! No sound like the Lightnings taking off, I have a hearing loss to prove it.
I
Dad had 3 years in Akrotiri between stints in Waddington in the 60s, whole family out there when I was a kid, great times. There was at least 1 squadron of Lightnings permanently stationed there, they used to send a couple out in the morning for a patrol most days, at 6am, party piece being to climb as rapidly as possible from take off. Known locally as the Station Commander's alarm clock (possibly with some ripe additional words strictly between the grown-ups). If you slept through that you were probably clinically dead!

He might have worked with my Dad! He had several roles at Waddo but was mainly an electrical engineer, knew his way round the electrics of the Vulcan and had some trips to Woodford. One joy late in his life was seeing and hearing the Vulcan flying over our house again at its first return to the Waddington display, a few months before he passed away.

Like the Lancaster, you could never mistake the sound of the Vulcan for anything else. The 4-Vulcan scrambles they used to practice, and finish the 1960s Battle of Britain displays with, was a sight and sound to behold.

Wow that's spooky. I'll wager he would've known my Dad as he was on the electronics! I think he worked for A V Roe until about 1969 when we moved near to Immingham/Grimsby for 'static' work at Fison's on Immingham docks (having a young family he didn't want to be travelling the country with A V Roe any longer).

He's re-settled in Navenby and I had to smile when you mentioned the Vulcan's flying over and the effect on your Dad - mine was just the same. I took him to Manchester Science Museum a couple of years ago and he was over the moon because they have a lot of A V Roe stuff (Manchester company apparently) in there including parts from the Vulcan.

Last edited:
We lived on Brant Road near the Church for ages, and still remember the Vulcans doing engine trials at the end of the runway and the smell of kerosene if the wind was wrong ! Many circuits over the houses when I presume they were testing engines and stuff, a great air display for nothing. My parents lived out of the boundary on Brant Road before that, during the War, directly below Waddo airfield. My mum retold the storey many times when the German bombers 'got' Waddington, interesting times.
To keep this football related, UTI.

We lived on Brant Road near the Church for ages, and still remember the Vulcans doing engine trials at the end of the runway and the smell of kerosene if the wind was wrong ! Many circuits over the houses when I presume they were testing engines and stuff, a great air display for nothing. My parents lived out of the boundary on Brant Road before that, during the War, directly below Waddo airfield. My mum retold the storey many times when the German bombers 'got' Waddington, interesting times.
To keep this football related, UTI.

An account of that here, although it refers to Waddington village:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/75/a2109575.shtml

Good old Chris Ashton whose distinctive tone used to echo around the Sincil Bank before Alan Long. Yep he is definitely a Lincoln legend and still involved with the club in a big way ( runs the Redimps away travel when fans are allowed). Doreen his mum used to run the tea bar and frighten all us teenagers to death on the Red Imps away bus years ago.

Another Chris Ashton classic ' Todays attendance four thousand no hundred and eighty six.' I have been trying to get Alan Long to do that for years.:lol:

Often chatted with Chris for years. Saw him and his dad George on the High Street pre Pandemic and his dad told me his first City match at Sincil Bank was 1934 :oops:

Made me smile that he is alive and well and still involved with LCFC. Thanks for sharing CasperImp. :balloon:

Lived in Western Crescent off Boultham Park Road until I was 10 when moved up to Warrington with Huston's transferring their marine sales office to The Vulcan at Newton Le Willows.

watched my first home games 66/67 finished 92nd out of 92 in the Football League that season and that has sort of set the tone for most of the subsequent 55 years.

watch the majority of always in the North West and normally get to a couple of home games a season but a lot more when I was younger.

I think it is absolutely awesome watching every game live and IMHO this is the best team we have ever had surpassing both GT and CM teams.

with regards to getting results in previous seasons I remember City playing at York on a Saturday night in the mid sixties and the result was not in Sunday’s paper so me and my dad walked through Lincoln on Sunday afternoon to see if the result was in the Echo window unfortunately not and I did not get the result until Monday morning imagine that happening today and by the way we got beat 2-0.

And in the first Conference season there was a phone number that you could ring for results remember doing that !!!

The sound of freedom! No sound like the Lightnings taking off, I have a hearing loss to prove it. I was lucky to be on 5 Sqn at Binbrook before they were phased out in the 80s, and what an aircraft they were. A shame we don't have a display aircraft, but I don't think they would get safety approval in this age. A few were still flying in South Africa until not long ago, and offering "pay per trip" experiences. One for Clive!
View attachment 45135

Shame 5 Sqn are about to be disbanded again when the Sentinel goes out of service. had a great 4 years being the Depth maintenance manager for the fleet

IMG_0023(1).JPG

Living in Rasen, we used to hear/see the Lightnings from Binbrook - you knew when they were around!
I went to the last air display at RAF Binbrook, held just before the Lightnings were retired from service. Huge queues to get in. It was a miserable day weather wise, with low cloud and lots of rain. All that was completely forgotten, though, when the Lightnings did a mass take-off. Forget how many went up, but it made a tremendous racket. Fantastic stuff.

I remember going up to Waddo with the school. We stood by the side of the runway as four Vulcans scrambled. Not only did you hear them, you felt them. So did your teeth... Awesome - in the proper sense of the word.

Living on Scorer Dr for many years, we became accustomed to the particular time of Vulcans in flight.

One of my pupils is an aircraft fanatic - he was over the moon when I played him a video of a Vulcan taking off and doing a fly past.

Wow that's spooky. I'll wager he would've known my Dad as he was on the electronics! I think he worked for A V Roe until about 1969 when we moved near to Immingham/Grimsby for 'static' work at Fison's on Immingham docks (having a young family he didn't want to be travelling the country with A V Roe any longer).

He's re-settled in Navenby and I had to smile when you mentioned the Vulcan's flying over and the effect on your Dad - mine was just the same. I took him to Manchester Science Museum a couple of years ago and he was over the moon because they have a lot of A V Roe stuff (Manchester company apparently) in there including parts from the Vulcan.
Before the mighty Vulcan, Avro built a number of smaller scale aircraft called the 707, which were built to prove various aspects of the Vulcan design. At least one of these was built at the Avro facility in Bracebridge Heath. One is preserved and on display at the Manchester Science Museum. I believe it is one of the last aircraft to be built in the Lincoln area. Lincoln itself was a major centre for the manufacture of aircraft during WW1, of which several thousand were built, which most people are unaware of.

My favourite aviation memory at Sincil Bank just has to be the afternoon when the Lancaster did a fly past at low level during the Yeovil game, I think it was, a couple of years back. If I remember rightly, we were one nil down at the time when we needed to get at least a point out of the game. The crowd had been a bit muted before hand, but the sight of the Lancaster really ramped up the noise and the atmosphere and we equalised not long afterwards. Please feel free to correct me if I've got the game and the score wrong.