Imps in Exile | Page 3 | Vital Football

Imps in Exile

Welcome aboard the Imp Train MichiganImp:wave:. I grew up in Lincoln but live in LA now. The lower divisions and connections to your local team are a much better place to be than any Premiership bandwagon full of "fans" that will disappear if the team doesn't qualify for a European competition that year.

And when the inevitable happens, and the Imps kick the "Big Six" from the top of the football pyramid, you can rightly say you were there all along.

As for the Mrs, give her time and she will see the light. If not, I am sure there are good divorce lawyers in Michigan ;). Joking of course!

Just make sure you don’t check our attendances 2011 through to 2016.

Does anyone actually live in the City of Lincoln who posts on this site? Just for the record, I don't.

Not me, I left in late-80's when "Heaven was Lincoln in your rear-view mirror". Lived in Nottinghamshire, Surrey and now the West Midlands, with nary a desire to move back.

Supporting since 74/75, even during "the dark times" I would still attend a couple of home matches a season and the away ones near me at the time depending on the league we were in at the time.

Does anybody else remember having to ring Clubcall for the GMVC results as an Exile, rather than waiting for the small print in the paper the next day?

There was a time when the first opportunity of learning the result of an away midweek match was when it was "displayed in the Echo office window, St Benedict Square as soon as possible after 9.10pm”.

The days of 7.30 kick-offs, ten-minute half time intervals and next to no added time!

Not going to lie friends: I am new to the Imps. I have been a fan of MLS side Chicago FC for many years (closest team to me in Western Michigan).

My wife and I got genetic tests for Christmas 2 years ago and I found out I have many, many relatives from Lincolnshire. Mainly Lincoln and Spalding. This was a surprise to me because I thought I was mainly Scottish. This lead me to check out the local teams and the Imps spoke to me most....so...here I am.

I am a newbie but I watch every game on iFollow as it is the only way I know! Someday I'll make it to the Bank and I'll buy a drink for any who wants to join.

Edit: my wife makes fun of me because I am a huge fan of an obscure League One team in England. She just doesn't get it.

you are definitely not of Scottish ancestry if you are offering to buy people drinks! first out the taxi last to the bar!

There was a time when the first opportunity of learning the result of an away midweek match was when it was "displayed in the Echo office window, St Benedict Square as soon as possible after 9.10pm”.

The days of 7.30 kick-offs, ten-minute half time intervals and next to no added time!

Short walk from the Roebuck for the result.

Wandering round to the exit between the Railway End and St Andrews terrace, out as soon as the whistle blew in time for the bus to Washy at 9.15 from the cemetery. Never missed a minute of action, never missed a bus!

And after that it was 10.55 on the beeb, or next mornings paper ! Those were the days ! not.

Does anybody else remember having to ring Clubcall for the GMVC results as an Exile, rather than waiting for the small print in the paper the next day?
I seem to recall ringing some times and there was some message that they hadn’t got the results in so had to ring back later

One of my favorite old time memories was - "Thank you to today's Match Sponsorrrrrrsssss....." - I have no idea who that announcer was, but in my mind at least, a Lincoln Legend.

Do Lincolnshire people have special genes? Yes we do. I hope you’ve embraced the haslet, plum bread and chine. We might be a weird bunch but your missus is missing out if she doesn’t get onboard
Ha! Good point. No, but I learned of a lot of family from England that was from Lincolnshire.

I often made this walk to the Echo printing works to get this first opportunity to see how the Imps had gone during an away midweek game. The chance to watch almost every Imps game live via iFollow still amazes me and just demonstrates how much more enjoyable it is to follow the Imps from the opposite side of the planet. In Australia we used to get the football results in the Monday editions of the national newspapers but after some time only the top two divisions were displayed, leaving lower league fans frustrated. The internet changed all that overnight. Of course we get every Premier League game broadcast here but it doesn't hold the same passion as watching the Imps live.

One of my favorite old time memories was - "Thank you to today's Match Sponsorrrrrrsssss....." - I have no idea who that announcer was, but in my mind at least, a Lincoln Legend.

Good old Chris Ashton whose distinctive tone used to echo around the Sincil Bank before Alan Long. Yep he is definitely a Lincoln legend and still involved with the club in a big way ( runs the Redimps away travel when fans are allowed). Doreen his mum used to run the tea bar and frighten all us teenagers to death on the Red Imps away bus years ago.

Another Chris Ashton classic ' Todays attendance four thousand no hundred and eighty six.' I have been trying to get Alan Long to do that for years.:lol:

Often chatted with Chris for years. Saw him and his dad George on the High Street pre Pandemic and his dad told me his first City match at Sincil Bank was 1934 :oops: