Gabby Agbonlahor thread | Page 123 | Vital Football

Gabby Agbonlahor thread

I think he should be remembered as the Derby King.

He's not been good enough for 3 or 4 years now admitedly but we shouldnt forget all the good times he's given us.

He's probably had me walking in to work smiling with bragging rights more than any other player over the last 15 years. That means something.

Not just the derby's either. He came up wth big goals against big team like Man United and Arsenal. Good memories.

Hes a bit like Arsene Wenger. Should have left years ago, but was good once upon a time, and I'd like to think should be remembered for the good times.

I think he should be remembered as the Derby King.

He's not been good enough for 3 or 4 years now admitedly but we shouldnt forget all the good times he's given us.

He's probably had me walking in to work smiling with bragging rights more than any other player over the last 15 years. That means something.

Not just the derby's either. He came up wth big goals against big team like Man United and Arsenal. Good memories.

Hes a bit like Arsene Wenger. Should have left years ago, but was good once upon a time, and I'd like to think should be remembered for the good times.

Fairplay Deano, I'm in danger of becoming a little bit bitter. Always good to look at the positives but most of us would give our right arms for the opportunity and privilege of playing for the Villa. I would be embarrassed to accept the salary he's given for the past three or four years. Hope he gave half of it to Acorns.

Very good article by Mat Kendrik on Gabby:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rapid-rise-feeble-fall-gabby-14476534

Sums it all up for me. Sad. I've had a feeling in recent years that he's not too happy in his personal life and that has impacted on his approach.

But also there's a pig-headiness where he seemed to think he knew better than anybody else about what he should be doing; the big rough and tumble centre forward rather than the lightning fast winger. He said after O'Neill left that he'd had to work out his own gym program because of lack of support from John Robertson. Robertson was right, as was Houllier.

Sad, but not a lot of sympathy. He should have done better. For us.

I wish him the best of luck.

He's given us some great memories, that can't be denied. It's sad what's happened over the last few years, whether personal problems, lack of interest, becoming stale, whatever.

Hope he does well wherever he goes.

I wish him the best of luck.

He's given us some great memories, that can't be denied. It's sad what's happened over the last few years, whether personal problems, lack of interest, becoming stale, whatever.

Hope he does well wherever he goes.

Rumour has it that the good old USA is beckoning, reckon he's been watching Man versus Food. They do like a hearty meal after all.:whist:

For me the tale of Gabby Agbonlahor is a bit of a sad one, the bloke is the poster-boy of our clubs demise - first arrived under O’Leary, looked like he could be great under O’Neil, stopped trying under Houllier and got progressively worse under every manager after.

I appreciate the good times he gave us but can’t forgive the apathetic attitude for the club he claims to support over the best part of a decade.

He’ll get fond applause from me as a farewell out of acknowledgement of his best days whilst I turn a blind eye to him being ‘patient zero’ for poisoning the dressing room. The biggest tragedy for me, as someone who would’ve given anything to play for the club I love, is that man should have been a legend for this club but ultimately didn’t care enough about us or his potential for that to make it happen.

I have already posted on this thread that the last four or five years of taking the piss have totally outweighed anything good that he did for this club.
I dont see any reason to change my opinion now.
With regard to America calling, I dont think even the yanks would be that bloody stupid as to give him a contract.

I hope he gets one final run out even if off the bench in the Derby County home game. A chance for us to give him a proper send off. Regardless of what you think he did score some vital goals for us.

No room for sentiment from me. He did his bit but tarnished whatever legacy he may have had with his antics and attitude.

Telling to me that instead of prolonging his career and making a career somewhere else , he may be throwing the towel in and giving up.

Milked us for £3m a season for the last 6 seasons . He won't be in a team of my all time favourites that's for sure . Must be about a £1m a goal over that time .

I hope he gets one final run out even if off the bench in the Derby County home game. A chance for us to give him a proper send off. Regardless of what you think he did score some vital goals for us.

Sorry, that ship has sailed long ago. Why should we give him a proper send off. He has done nothing for years, too long , and has ruined goodwill that people had for him. All whilst getting massive bucks from our own pockets. He has disrespected the club and fans so i disrespect him and hsi lack ambition to develop.

Early on in his career whe was fantastic, but after a while I think he just started to do the minimum to get by, and for several recent years he hasn’t even done that.

I don’t think he is a club legend or deserves any special send off. He deserves something amicable for his length of time here and some of the great memories he gave us when he was younger but he’s obviously gone stale and he needs to be moved on, probably 2 years overdue at least.

I think in the future the fans opinion of him will be lukewarm.. an average player who at times was very good and at other times definitely wasn’t good enough - especially later on in his villa career

Last edited:
I think in the future the fans opinion of him will be lukewarm.. an average player who at times was very good and at other times definitely wasn’t good enough - especially later on in his villa career

Agree.

I have better memories and more respect for the likes of Barry, Mellberg, Laursen and Petrov than I will ever have of Gabby. Iwish him all the best for whatever he chooses next, but won't miss him for one moment when he's finally out of here.

Each to their own I guess .
Yes he's been a right cock socket last few years , but I choose to remember the Gabby that once was and who DID score all those vital goals . I think he would get a great reception even if it was a 10 minute cameo .

Nah no special send off for me either, he can walk round the pitch with the rest of them after the game (For which I’ll be long gone anyway) so fans can applaud him then if they wish. He hasn’t done anything to warrant a place on the bench in front of others to even get the chance for a special send off. If we had the league or 2nd place wrapped up then yeah give him a place on the bench and 5-10 minutes but we can very much do without him.

I have already posted on this thread that the last four or five years of taking the piss have totally outweighed anything good that he did for this club.
I dont see any reason to change my opinion now.
With regard to America calling, I dont think even the yanks would be that bloody stupid as to give him a contract.
“Yanks” aren’t anywhere near as stupid as you might imagine Wittonite. The MLS lacks in quite a few things - mostly geared around the tactical side of the game. But one area that this country is miles ahead in is fitness and athleticism. So you’re right, nobody here would be stupid enough to pay him a lot of money...