Gabby Agbonlahor thread | Page 124 | Vital Football

Gabby Agbonlahor thread

Gabby really is a case of what could have been, there was a time when he was linked with a move from Villa Park to Old Trafford.

The getting stoned abroad really did tarnish his reputation and for some when the club were backs to the wall fighting a downward spiral this was too much to take.

How many people knew his middle name was Imuetinyan?

A case of what might have been is a very good way of describing him col8. If Gabby had bothered to carry on trying to improve himself after O'Neill left he could have been a true club legend.

Houllier getting the boot after a season of arguing with him seemed to install in him the idea that he was the most important person at the club. A view strengthened by the fact that every manager who tried to challenge him got the chop soon after.

I'll try to remember him as he was 8+ years ago, and the goals vs blues, Baggies, wolves plus the only winning goal vs man utd in 20+ years but it's hard not to see him as a symbol of the club's decline and its acceptance of lowered standards. It's no shock that this season, the best we've had in a long old while has coincided with his fewest appearances for us.

“Yanks” aren’t anywhere near as stupid as you might imagine Wittonite. The MLS lacks in quite a few things - mostly geared around the tactical side of the game. But one area that this country is miles ahead in is fitness and athleticism. So you’re right, nobody here would be stupid enough to pay him a lot of money...
No offence meant gm.
Its hard not to think of Americans in football wasting money when I look back on the Lerner years.

No offence meant gm.
Its hard not to think of Americans in football wasting money when I look back on the Lerner years.

None taken.. Mr Lerner was equally derided here with his ownership of the Cleveland Browns, so I understand where you’re coming from... Although unlike our beloved Villa, the Browns are STILL terrible, many years since Randy sold them...
To be honest I get much more upset with the “opinions from afar” about US culture and politics. Unless you live/have lived in a country, then it’s truly impossible to understand it. Too many folks take their “information” from a truly skewed and agenda-driven media.
Oh crap, I need to shut up now and focus on Villa!
:eek!::utv::utv::off:

I don't really agree with the "what might have been" sentiment.

For me, he was never a naturally talented footballer, he was a sprinter who got taught to kick a football.

He's made the most of the limited ability he had, and achieved far more with his career than his natural ability entitled him to.

He was great for us at one point. He got worse. He fell out with managers, he got a bit lazy.... lots of players fall into that bracket so pretty harsh to single him out.

I think the fact he is Villa through and through has worked against him in a way. Fans expect more from him and therefore criticise him more when things go wrong.

I'll remember him fondly. So many happy memories to look back on. They may be in the long and distant past, but then so are most things good about the Villa.

The problem with Gabby was due to his blistering pace when he was younger coaches didn't work on the other parts of his game. Once the blistering pace had gone he had nothing.

Apparently he won an award for his community work at the awards evening , but he wasn't there to collect it citing a previous engagement .

Hmmm.

Wouldn't have thought so, and assuming Gabby regrets the way this turned out, he won't be on the bench in a suit either.

Refusing my tendency to rant - I'm torn.

If we were clear in the game for what he's done (caveats being well paid, set for life) a last 10 minutes...hmmm. Even if the result is beyond doubt after the last few years I can't see it going over well though.

The other me says it's a piss taking too far and he's blown the faith and deserves nothing.

I personally don't think he should get any award. I am wondering how the fans will react? I wouldn't have thought it would go down too well

I think I will stay on the concourse and have a drink. I have no hatred for Gabby. I loved his routinely timed goals v Blues and The Obsessed. But special service?. That is laughable.

I offended someone last night by saying I don’t care, she said she’s embarrassed if people don’t say thanks. Apart from scoring a few goals against blues (And don’t get me wrong, those moments at the sty were brilliant) I really can’t remember anything he’s done of note for us? Anything good he done in his earlier years was undone by his poor performances and unprofessionalism in recent years and don’t blame the management, he’s an adult and takes responsibility for his own actions. I won’t boo him but I certainly won’t be applauding him and I’ll stay seated for a few minutes while it’s presented.

It will go down really well , The kids in the Holte End love a chance to sing his little ditty and use the f word .
Although I can't get past he's helped himself to £18m over the last 6 years and done nothing for it .
Obviously he's going to retire now as nobody else will give him a contract.
Unless of course Bruce gets the sack and we get someone who still thinks Gabby is the player he was 10 years ago.

Could have been a Legend , now he's just a bellend

I watched the tribute thingy on the OS if only to reminisce about some of the goals he scored in the early days.

What struck me in the interview is that he looks an old man nowadays , and certainly looks many years older than 31.

Shows that he hasn't looked after himself at all IMHO.

Yep 31 and past it , whilst his mate Ashley Young is 32 and reinvented himself as a left back and may even be on the plane to the world cup.
Both had the world at their feet 10 years ago . One took his chance and one wasted it

No thanks, not for me, not a special service award. Nothing at all special about it. Also not interested in some of the vitriol flying around either. He came, started well, scored some memorable goals, he ran out of interest. Not his fault the club stupidly kept giving him new deals.