Football Media | Page 29 | Vital Football

Football Media

This weekend will see the MASSIVIST MOST BIGLY FOOTBALL GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSETM Sky so I shall be instituting a media blackout until all the hysteria is over and the rest of humanity can resume their lives without the rags and dippers claiming they are the BESTEST TEAM EVER. Although it will be interest to see whether any of the Diving Club Members (Salah, Mané, Rashnaldo the PureTM Rising ) manage to engineer the officials into awarding them a dubious penalty. To quote Carly Simon......”Nobody does it better”.....

Oh the indignity..........THE ‘TITLE DECIDER’, BIGLIEST GAME SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME EVER IN THE UNIVERSE .......was relegated to the third fixture shown on Match if the Day.

Even the dipper and JoMU loving editorial team on MOTD couldn’t justify sticking the bore-fest top of the bill for fear everyone would tune out .......which speaks volumes.

To quote the host...... “Although it’s last, we made this hype video so we’re damn well going to play it” :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Yes, and I saw this earlier. I last logged on this morning, so, when I get a chance, I'll have a look and see if I can answer your question, BD.

To do this, we dug into every FA Cup and League Cup draw over the past 10 years, including this weekend’s FA Cup fourth-round fixtures, and undertook our own special form of analysis. Ready for the maths?

First, we aimed to uncover the average advantage for all 92 clubs against their drawn opposition. This required factoring in the relative distance in the football pyramid between the two sides, which we measured by the division each club was playing in at the time of being drawn.

We also added an additional category for the “big six” clubs — Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.

We then assigned a value to each category, with “big six” sides given the highest value of six, and non-Leaguers the lowest score of one. To factor in home advantage, we also placed an additional .5 score for the home side.

Therefore, our categorisation was: “big six” (value of six points), rest of Premier League (five), Championship (four), League One (three), League Two (two) and non-League (one).

How does that work? For example, Chelsea (six points) are home to Luton (four) on Sunday. Chelsea get an extra half-point for being at home and then we subtract Luton’s score from Chelsea’s and they are then assigned those points. So in this case, Chelsea would be given +2.5pts and Luton -2.5pts. This was then done for every cup draw in the past decade for every team.

For all 92 clubs, we then added their scores from every draw they participated in and divided it by their total number of draws to provide a score of their average advantage against the opposition in cup draws.

Yes, and I saw this earlier. I last logged on this morning, so, when I get a chance, I'll have a look and see if I can answer your question, BD.

Conversely, Manchester City’s sixth-placed position — the lowest among the “big six” — partially also sheds light on their impressive performance in cup play. They have appeared in nine finals in our sample period and naturally had to face some stiff competition to get to them. City have also had the most away ties among Premier League teams.

The following is part of a table, like all the others, that are too large to post, and I'm not going to faff about trying to re-size.

Lowest home draw % - PL teams
1. City 36.4 2. Chelsea 41.4 3. United 42.3 4. Liverpool 42.4 5. Arsenal 42.9 6. Spurs 43.1

Well someone has gone to a lot of trouble, but covering only a ten-year period in my book is not statistically significant enough. Should be at least for 30 years.