Fao Farmer Imp re Training ground Pitch! | Page 15 | Vital Football

Fao Farmer Imp re Training ground Pitch!

Saw you and Tara's ears on Look North this morning, with your Forage Aid hat on, Andrew. Is there no end to your roles? On a more serious note, keep up the good work :thumbup:

Saw you and Tara's ears on Look North this morning, with your Forage Aid hat on, Andrew. Is there no end to your roles? On a more serious note, keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thanks syimp. It’s a bit off topic but for the livestock farmers, this weather is catastrophic. Some I know in Cumbria are already half way through the winter silage they made off their own fields and you know by your lawns the grass isn’t growing so they can’t make any more before the winter. Some will not survive and will have to sell up/go bankrupt. On top of that straw is in short supply because of late planting of spring crops and any straw around is £100/ton plus, it then has to be hauled from here to the livestock areas. 1 ton of straw goes no where when bedding down livestock. For those that don’t know Forage Aid is the charity I founded in 2013 to help the farmers in Wales who had 120,000 sheep buried in snow and died. Then we helped in Somerset floods and delivered over 200 lorry loads of straw and feed all free and 2 years ago the floods in Cumbria where we delivered 124 lorry loads, again all free. If anyone’s interested see: https://www.forageaid.org.uk/

Back on topic. The goal posts for pitch 2 and 3 will be put in situ early next week.

Hi Farmerimp bit off topic but your probably aware of the plight of the farmers in Aus . Unfortunately a worldwide plight getting no better.

Hi Farmerimp bit off topic but your probably aware of the plight of the farmers in Aus . Unfortunately a worldwide plight getting no better.
I worked in WA Quarantine for a few years here - same thing happened about four or five years ago. WA farmers organised a few road trains of hay to go over east as we had to inspect & certify the loads against any bugs & diseases.

I think the NRL are going to do something for the final round as well. I know the Penrith Panthers have thrown in $100,000 towards the appeal but hopefully they do something for an entire round in order to raise funds.

I worked in WA Quarantine for a few years here - same thing happened about four or five years ago. WA farmers organised a few road trains of hay to go over east as we had to inspect & certify the loads against any bugs & diseases.
Some of my relatives live in Oz and I have many farmer friends around Geraldon, Meridin, Esperance in WA, Ballarat in Victoria, and Toowoomba in Queensland, I go over every 2/3 years and keep up to date with the issues. Food production in Oz is not for the faint hearted, scale and minimal costs is the only way to survive with the lack of water and even then it’s difficult. Animal welfare will become even more difficult in years to come, the same as here. This winter I fear will be a catastrophe for most UK livestock farmers with severe food shortages.

Some of my relatives live in Oz and I have many farmer friends around Geraldon, Meridin, Esperance in WA, Ballarat in Victoria, and Toowoomba in Queensland, I go over every 2/3 years and keep up to date with the issues. Food production in Oz is not for the faint hearted, scale and minimal costs is the only way to survive with the lack of water and even then it’s difficult. Animal welfare will become even more difficult in years to come, the same as here. This winter I fear will be a catastrophe for most UK livestock farmers with severe food shortages.

I'm always amazed there are any livestock farmers left in Cumbria given some of the things they've had to deal with in the last 30 years..

Agree, farming in Aus is definitely not for the faint-hearted. Camels probably the best bet ??. Depends very much where you are as the climate is ridiculously inconsistent all over the country. SW WA tends to be a bit more stable than the wheat belt, and especially the further north you go, apart from the Ord River scheme in Kununurra. At least we've had a very wet winter this year so water should be less of a problem, but chances are more water may lead to different problems of one sort or another (pests & diseases).

I
I'm always amazed there are any livestock farmers left in Cumbria given some of the things they've had to deal with in the last 30 years..

I am, average fell farmers yearly income is £14,000 and with Defra and the EA ruling them like the gestapo.

PS Sincilbanks, nice to see a friendly post to me, not ending with :blah: !!??