Evans to Stevenage... | Page 11 | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

There have been a few youngsters that we’ve been too quick to let go.
Brennan Dickenson being another.
Peach of a left foot and just needed coaching.

And played as a left sided striker / winger and not at left full back.

I was very disappointed that we let List go - but i`m really pleased for young Elliott and hope he`s enjoying his success - 12 goals in the last 11 games and playing super football....

Not sure where you got the figure of 12 goals in 11 games. He has scored 12 goals spread over 23 matches including the various cups and trophies. Still a decent record for this season but time will tell if

a) it is a one season hot spell and
b) if he gets a move to a league one club will he have a comparable goal record or an indifferent one as per his time at the Gills.

Not sure where you got the figure of 12 goals in 11 games. He has scored 12 goals spread over 23 matches including the various cups and trophies. Still a decent record for this season but time will tell if

b) if he gets a move to a league one club will he have a comparable goal record or an indifferent one as per his time at the Gills.

brennan played a few games at left back and wing back.

elliot was a youngster with plenty of potential. We are too quick to let our youngsters move on.

List was voted Stevenage’s Player of the Season for last season, so it’s not really a “one season hot spell” unless you are purely talking about goals scored.
Personally I feel Evans was wrong to let him go, we don’t really have anyone comparable in the squad now, but then again I guess he isn’t really Evans’ type of player.
I noticed that List liked a tweet that was against Steve Evans going to Stevenage as manager!

A little bit of information that might or might not be relevant.We play Stevenage under 18s at the training ground 10.30 am on Saturday morning. I wonder if a meeting might be organised with Scally around match time.Whatever happens it is a interesting twist of fate.

Last edited:
A little bit of information that might or might not be relevant.We play Stevenage at the training ground 10.30 am on Saturday morning. I wonder if a meeting might be organised with Scally around match time.Whatever happens it is a interesting twist of fate.

At what level Chris ? It can't be youth- they are alll playing at 3PM ;-)

List was voted Stevenage’s Player of the Season for last season, so it’s not really a “one season hot spell” unless you are purely talking about goals scored.
Personally I feel Evans was wrong to let him go, we don’t really have anyone comparable in the squad now, but then again I guess he isn’t really Evans’ type of player.

He was last season's top scorer for them so there is a good chance he was the POTY due to being top scorer (although he only scored 2 more goals than Luke Norris despite playing in about 20 more matches). For us, he only scored 7 times in 28 starts and 57 sub appearances. List had talent and tented to only score great goals as per

but he actually had a worse scoring record than Hanlan (the other speed demon winger / forward) we had around as well.

I do wonder if List will be similiar to Akinde in that he'll have a good scoring record in league two but never quite gets running in league one.

Very, very few players score goals consistently over their career. Some have purple patches over a season or two and some just develop later. List looks like a late developer and I think he will end up outscoring Akinde, Hanlan and Norris over the course of his career. He started a lot of games from the bench for us and at the start of his Stevenage career. He's established himself, found confidence and the quality of the goals he has scored shows his underlying ability. Crucially he's quick.

Very, very few players score goals consistently over their career. Some have purple patches over a season or two and some just develop late

That certainly seems true nowadays jo. Wonder if it’s to do with the greater amount of changing clubs that happens now.

“Back in the day” us Gills had numerous players over the years who you could bank on to score fairly regularly over multiple seasons.

Yeo, Richardson, Price, Westwood, Cascarino, Shearer, Lovell etc. All scored goals for 4 or 5 seasons or more for us.

Not many nowadays stay more than a couple of seasons at any club. And then often the goals dry up at the new destination.

He was last season's top scorer for them so there is a good chance he was the POTY due to being top scorer (although he only scored 2 more goals than Luke Norris despite playing in about 20 more matches). For us, he only scored 7 times in 28 starts and 57 sub appearances. List had talent and tented to only score great goals as per

but he actually had a worse scoring record than Hanlan (the other speed demon winger / forward) we had around as well.

I do wonder if List will be similiar to Akinde in that he'll have a good scoring record in league two but never quite gets running in league one.
It has to be remembered that it was Steve Lovell who first played List up top.Before Lovell did that List was very much a winger.Strangely spoke to Lovell when he was still a coach about the possibility of List becoming a striker and would he have the opportunity to work with List?
List as others have said has pace and skill he could become hot properly now he appears to have confidence that I believe was the factor missing from his game while at Gillingham.
For me we should have been more persistent and patient with Elliott but it is just a opinion at this stage. If in the coming years Elliott proves it at our level or above then I think I can then have a real opportunity to say this was a mistake that cost us.Perhaps he needed to drop down a League to build up confidence. As Sithole might need too all to frequent players like those two don't get the opportunity to go out on loan when then need too as they are needed for the 1st team.Such is the pressure of small squads.

Last edited:
Paragraphs Chris! I'm going to start using the report button!

😉
I started allowing advertising and that mean adds jump around the screen. It appears if I take too long to write something I lose it altogether. Especially if there is a new post on the tread I am writing on.The advertising is not as bad as it was.But if it gets worse I will block it again. But that also cuts out my use of the KM newspaper articles.

I started allowing advertising and that mean adds jump around the screen. It appears if I take too long to write something I lose it altogether. Especially if there is a new post on the tread I am writing on.The advertising is not as bad as it was.But if it gets worse I will block it again. But that also cuts out my use of the KM newspaper articles.

I'm suffering with losing half finished posts as well.

People are probably relieved 😉

I'm suffering with losing half finished posts as well.

People are probably relieved 😉
Perhaps if you get time a note to the fear you can point him to my post as well.I would prefer you to do it as I am sure you can explain it better than me.If they want advertising to be seen they must make the site user friendly at present if I didn't feel part of this site I would not use it at all .Definitely if I was a first time poster I would not bother again.

That certainly seems true nowadays jo. Wonder if it’s to do with the greater amount of changing clubs that happens now.

“Back in the day” us Gills had numerous players over the years who you could bank on to score fairly regularly over multiple seasons.

Yeo, Richardson, Price, Westwood, Cascarino, Shearer, Lovell etc. All scored goals for 4 or 5 seasons or more for us.

Not many nowadays stay more than a couple of seasons at any club. And then often the goals dry up at the new destination.
Don't forget Keds

Back to List and my hunch is we only had room for one promising talent at the time. Was Hanlan here at the same time? Maybe Evans thought he was the better prospect.

Stevenage offered a few quid which may have facilitated a loan or something.