Evans to Stevenage... | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

ThrapstonGills

Vital Newbie
Not sure whether there is anything in it but he's suddenly the favourite for the Stevenage job...
from seemingly nowhere.

Surely we wouldn't lose him to a side in the league below? Hopefully it's just a small market manipulated by a couple of punts on him turning up there.

Closer to home.

I cant see him getting a champ or top end league one job so league 2 a real possibility.

I'd be more inclined to back it if we have a quiet transfer window. Too soon right now.

Location wise it’s a 1 hour 30 commute for him from Peterborough to Stevenage as opposed to a 2 hour 30 min drive to Gillingham.
Does anyone know if he still rents a flat on St Mary’s Island to use during the week? I remember seeing that mentioned a lot during his first season here, but not since then.
I still suspect the distance is one of the reasons for his penchant for requesting our kick off times are moved earlier when possible.

It could be of interest for family reasons Stevenage would be possible as a daily commute where as Gillingham clearly isn't.That apart I can see very little appeal unless there is suddenly funds coming into that club that there wasn't before.
The biggest question for me is has Steve Evans put his hat in the ring ?If he has applied then his time at Gillingham could be fairly short regardless of whether he takes this job or not.Of course it could simply be some forum has put him up as a favourite and he has had a few fans placing bets on him.

Just read on Facebook that Stevenage are in take over talks with a American consortium. If true paying a small amount of compensation for a manager like Evans might be within their budget.

If Steve Evans and Stevenage want this to happen I can't see Scally being in a position to stop it.Yes in theory he could hold on to him to see out his contract. But I'd he is leaving at the end of season anyway then it might suit both parties. If they are coming into funds it is not hard to believe they might have a bigger budget than Gills.

People moan about the premier league but this is the curse of modern football. Teams with no tradition or support of note being bankrolled in lower leagues.

I’ve no issue with the geordies or Man City being bankrolled to fck. They have a history and great fans. It the Salford’s, fleetwoods etc. That pushes me off.

Losing a manager to a team 4th bottom of league 2 is an incredibly bad look.

I’ve never liked Evans, but I fear we are probably as good as down without him.

I can’t see who in their right mind takes the job, other than an inexperienced ex player - another Pennock esque appointment.

If BFSE goes, I would hope for someone like Neil Harris, i.e managed at a slightly higher level and has at least a brief knowledge of the club.

He may also have built up the sort of connections to get Championship players on loan. I can't see Neil Smith managing that.

If BFSE goes, I would hope for someone like Neil Harris, i.e managed at a slightly higher level and has at least a brief knowledge of the club.

He may also have built up the sort of connections to get Championship players on loan. I can't see Neil Smith managing that.
Neil Harris, an Ex Gill too, despite his Millwall connections

I’d hate to see Steve Evans go. He’s our best chance of scrapping our way to mid-table.

But, seeing as he won’t be here next season (surprised he’s stayed this long) maybe if we can get some kind of compensation payout and move on it might be best for all parties.

And if it happens, next appointment is going to be crucial.

Losing a manager to a team 4th bottom of league 2 is an incredibly bad look.

I’ve never liked Evans, but I fear we are probably as good as down without him.

I can’t see who in their right mind takes the job, other than an inexperienced ex player - another Pennock esque appointment.
If he goes, I fear for us. I agree with you, I can't think of anyone of his calibre that would touch us.

Still, some will be happy so that's OK 👍

SE hasn't said anything in public, but this is an out for him if it is true. He will be leaving what can only be seen as unfinished business. I have heard stories that the club was looking at ways to shift SE for internal disciplinary reasons, if he does go they won't have to pay off Evans and Raynors contracts.
To say Neil Smith has no contacts in the game is a bit naïve as he has been in the game for decades, as a player and coach, he has done courses with the FA where they meet coaches from clubs at all levels. That's where lasting contacts are made, I am not advocating for Neil Smith to be the next manager as I don't know enough about the job to choose who should get the job. That's Paul Scally's job, if SE actually goes.

SE hasn't said anything in public, but this is an out for him if it is true. He will be leaving what can only be seen as unfinished business. I have heard stories that the club was looking at ways to shift SE for internal disciplinary reasons, if he does go they won't have to pay off Evans and Raynors contracts.
To say Neil Smith has no contacts in the game is a bit naïve as he has been in the game for decades, as a player and coach, he has done courses with the FA where they meet coaches from clubs at all levels. That's where lasting contacts are made, I am not advocating for Neil Smith to be the next manager as I don't know enough about the job to choose who should get the job. That's Paul Scally's job, if SE actually goes.
He has said this:

His full un-edited post match interview from tonight will be very interesting!