Evans gets results | Page 4 | Vital Football

Evans gets results

Been seen at a few games recently, previous management experience, good rapport with PDPS, the answer is staring us all in the face.

ā€œLadies and gentlemen, I give you, Alison. Previously factory manager, now first team Managerā€

Plus, no compensation to pay due to hiring from within. šŸ‘

How can we leave him out? Are we to erase him from our history just because it's uncomfortable to speak of his record? It's not like I'm slagging him off, just saying that SE's record in his first two years is better than Lovell's. Can we not compare managers for fear of offending fans now?
It's true that Big Steve's record is better than Little Steve's in the first two years, but as this moment in time SE has a win ratio of 34.70% compared to SL on 34.78%.
This of course could change either way by the end of this season.

It's true that Big Steve's record is better than Little Steve's in the first two years, but as this moment in time SE has a win ratio of 34.70% compared to SL on 34.78%.
This of course could change either way by the end of this season.
Hence " just saying that SE's record in his first two years is better than Lovell's."

Who knows what any other manager could achieve in this this season's economic situation?

Who knows what any other manager could achieve in this this season's economic situation?

I agree with you but repeatedly Scally says words along the lines of "good", "competitive" and "same as last year" in terms of the budget. 16th in the league according to PDPS.

According to the chairman budget has not been impacted.

We will all have to decide what to make of it.

Bottom line for me if we are league one club next season then Evans has done very well.

I read in KOL that Rayner is asking for the ability to change players in January. If we can't for whatever reason I wonder if this may bring owner and management team in to sufficient disagreement to end the relationship early.

Hence " just saying that SE's record in his first two years is better than Lovell's."

I don't think anyone has claimed that Steve Lovell got better results than Steve Evans has .That to me is not that important now unless we were about to repoint Lovell which I find very unlikely indeed. All I would argue is both did OK from the position they started with.Both haven't set the world alight with their style of football. Both possibly had similar budget problems. If Steve Evans keeps us up I would say he would have the edge based on the first two seasons.If Steve Evans gets us relegated and I and many others might think differently. Only time will tell where Steve Evans will leave us that for me will reflect on where his management will be seen long term well after he leaves.I have never argued for Steve Evans to be replaced by anyone. If he is able to get results I would still be happy to see him stay a while longer.

I agree with you but repeatedly Scally says words along the lines of "good", "competitive" and "same as last year" in terms of the budget. 16th in the league according to PDPS.

According to the chairman budget has not been impacted.

We will all have to decide what to make of it.

Bottom line for me if we are league one club next season then Evans has done very well.

I read in KOL that Rayner is asking for the ability to change players in January. If we can't for whatever reason I wonder if this may bring owner and management team in to sufficient disagreement to end the relationship early.
It does seem like a request for more money but the fact that it is Raynor making the statement makes it very unclear as to what the real position of Evans and indeed Scally would be .Raynor will almost certainly will carry on unless Scally or Evans tell him otherwise. So to a degree his view on the budget and potential changes is a little unimportant.

It does seem like a request for more money but the fact that it is Raynor making the statement makes it very unclear as to what the real position of Evans and indeed Scally would be .Raynor will almost certainly will carry on unless Scally or Evans tell him otherwise. So to a degree his view on the budget and potential changes is a little unimportant.

I am sure Evans and Rayner are fully aligned on the need to sign more players in January.

Scally and the EFL (embargo) may not be.

Last edited:
You know that feeling when you wish you'd never said something? šŸ™„

Chris, my comment wasn't meant as an affront to SL, I was just making a comparisonin reply to the claim that SE "does not get results", I could have mentioned any Gills manager apart from one or two that have excelled but he was the last. I think we can agree that, love him or loathe him, his record speaks for itself over the years otherwise, why would a club like Leeds take him on.
Yes, he's going through a tough spell at the moment but then they all do, that's why they always end up getting the sack and moving on to start the cycle again.

Shall we leave this now? šŸ¤”

You could be right of course. I was just was making the point that Raynor can largely be a bit of a loose Cannon and can say stuff that Evans possibly can't.It is of course possible that you are spot on that Scally and Evans could be looking in different directions. It could be that one will give in.Of course other events like Scally excepting a bid for a player or a player or players agreeing to a leave on a free or on loan that could make the situation better or indeed worse. A lot of games take place before that so to a degree those results might be more of a major factor.Evans has said at the end of August .Too QUOTE

"The chairman has six seasons fighting relegation battles, I donā€™t leave my family three or four nights a week to fight relegation battles. We have to have a chance of winning games in league 1.

ā€œI am not suggesting, I am saying, if we lose those two players (Oliver and Tutonda) it is virtually impossible as we are to win games of football"
End of QUOTE.

If things don't improve then that might be more of a factor than any slight changes in budget in January.

Last edited:
I'm with you breckland but we are a minority on here. Hopefully most on here can discuss it civily though.
Evans is an awful man if you think this guy is the future of football you deserve all you get. He has regard or respect for no one.he has tossed more money away than any other manager just watch his Merry go round tactics. Where is our Gillingham youth ??

Evans is an awful man if you think this guy is the future of football you deserve all you get. He has regard or respect for no one.he has tossed more money away than any other manager just watch his Merry go round tactics. Where is our Gillingham youth ??

He's not the future Kettners. He's a dinosaur, but he's the best (short term) manager we've had for a while.

I think some will only appreciate him when he's gone.

I'd love a manager who focusses on the whole club (from 1st XI and through the academies).and create a long term strategy. I think that takes money (longer contracts) and investment and well I'm not going there (don't worry Gills 58 ;-) )

He's not the future Kettners. He's a dinosaur, but he's the best (short term) manager we've had for a while.

I think some will only appreciate him when he's gone.

I'd love a manager who focusses on the whole club (from 1st XI and through the academies).and create a long term strategy. I think that takes money (longer contracts) and investment and well I'm not going there (don't worry Gills 58 ;-) )

Wouldnā€™t it be great. But how do you think Scally would fare with our fans, if he hired the next manager and said -

ā€œHereā€™s a 5 year contract. Donā€™t worry too much about immediate results. We wonā€™t be buying players right now. Get our youth team going and the academy. Then in 3 or 4 years time we will try to move back up the league with our home grown team like Creweā€.

How long do you reckon that manager would actually be given by our fans? On a promise that ā€œyoung Smith and Parker are going to be future stars. Honestlyā€. I reckon the manager would last 2 years max and Scally ridiculed for being a cheapskate.

And as someone above mentioned, it might currently be forced by economics, but when was the last time we had 4 or 5 players from our own youth that have all played in the first team?

I meant players on long term contracts not the manager. Give us the chance to develop, SELL and reinvest. That could be a sustainable model for a lower league team.