Evans gets results | Page 2 | Vital Football

Evans gets results

I do rate Evans (post 8). I was referring to the more holistic view of the direction that the club is going in - in my humble opinion of course
Fair enough šŸ˜‰
This new member joined specifically to criticise the manager.
Good luck to him/her/non gender.
Every person is entitled to their opinion and to express it.

First post has to be about something ;-)

I like the more controversial posts. Stimulates discussion it would be boring if we all agreed.

January will interesting. If Evans can't wheel and deal (embargo, funds, etc.) I wonder if his frustrations will boil over and result in mutually agreed early departure.

I do have a feeling all is not well in the group with the Kelman display last night. I hope that was just a one off with one player but the Lloyd / Big V penalty incident wasnā€™t really covered off well by SE in support Verdaine either - hope I am wrong just a gut feeling

First post has to be about something ;-)

I like the more controversial posts. Stimulates discussion it would be boring if we all agreed.

January will interesting. If Evans can't wheel and deal (embargo, funds, etc.) I wonder if his frustrations will boil over and result in mutually agreed early departure.

Nothing ā€œcontroversialā€ about the OP mark. It was just wrong.

Someone can hate Steve Evans all they like, but to say he doesnā€™t get results is just not correct. Check his record.

I do have a feeling all is not well in the group with the Kelman display last night. I hope that was just a one off with one player but the Lloyd / Big V penalty incident wasnā€™t really covered off well by SE in support Verdaine either - hope I am wrong just a gut feeling

Speculation always welcome but let's consider an alternative possibility (I have no more evidence than you). What if Kelman is a bit stroppy and has been farmed out to get a bit of perspective? I'm not proposing that as likely but it's no more, or less likely than the trouble in the camp theory.

This was the great justification for appointing someone who, by common consent, is one of the most unpopular managers in the game.
So far, unless you count the number of yellow cards he's accumulated as some kind of achievement, all I've seen ( and heard ) suggests a man with little or no control over the outcome of matches, or indeed of his players.

Ah, a fly-by assassination. Was it just to get things off your chest (in which case, well done!) or do you have a genuine path to improvement? I've never been a fan of a whine and fly - I like solutions.

How would you improve things?
Presumably pay off Evans for starters?
Who would you appoint?
How would you know they were better at 'controlling the outcome' of matches?
What evidence do you have that he cannot control his players?

Surely, if Evans gets results, we should be doing better after three years of him rather than worse ?
I know facts are obstinate little creatures in that they don't go away but they can help to form opinions.

I didn't like the way Evans was appointed, and booed him at the last home game when he was taking over. But then a new season, and I forgot about Lovell (like I will quickly when Scally leaves) and will support him, because he is now a Gill like me. I'm the same with players. Once they leave I forget about them, and support their replacements, however bad they can be šŸ˜Š

Surely, if Evans gets results, we should be doing better after three years of him rather than worse ?
I know facts are obstinate little creatures in that they don't go away but they can help to form opinions.

That makes no sense either.

By that reckoning if SE had got us to 1st, 1st then 2nd it would mean he doesnā€™t ā€œget resultsā€ because we are doing worse after 3 years?

Bizarre. Yet you call them facts?

We have had a bad start to this season. End of story.

Simply say ā€œI hate Steve Evansā€. No one will argue or care. Just donā€™t keep coming out with all this rubbish. All your arguments have nothing whatsoever to do with ā€œgetting resultsā€.

Speculation always welcome but let's consider an alternative possibility (I have no more evidence than you). What if Kelman is a bit stroppy and has been farmed out to get a bit of perspective? I'm not proposing that as likely but it's no more, or less likely than the trouble in the camp theory.

totally agree given the number of games that Kelman has played I did have him down as the ā€œbad appleā€ for want of a better word and I hope itā€™s more of a Kelman issue than a squad one

OSK, that's a curious argument. Facts are what actually happened so your 'if SE had got us to 1st ' is as irrelevant as it gets. The facts are our WLD record this season is abysmal, our manager is regularly calling out players by name and the excuses list has got to the stage where defeat can be blamed on the bus journey.

Our performance in past seasons has been mediocre and now it is dreadful. I don't like our current situation any more than you do - we have that much in common I'm sure

OSK, that's a curious argument. Facts are what actually happened so your 'if SE had got us to 1st ' is as irrelevant as it gets. The facts are our WLD record this season is abysmal, our manager is regularly calling out players by name and the excuses list has got to the stage where defeat can be blamed on the bus journey.

Our performance in past seasons has been mediocre and now it is dreadful. I don't like our current situation any more than you do - we have that much in common I'm sure
Fair comments, so Iā€™ll ask the same question that I do to the Scally Outers.
Who do you want to replace Evans?
Mike Flynn is out of work .
Him?
Maybe an up and coming non league manager?
Maybe Dempsey as player manager as some prat on Kent online suggested.
Any ideas, it just that itā€™s not a bad idea to have a plan in place in advance.

Fair comments, so Iā€™ll ask the same question that I do to the Scally Outers.
Who do you want to replace Evans?
Mike Flynn is out of work .
Him?
Maybe an up and coming non league manager?
Maybe Dempsey as player manager as some prat on Kent online suggested.
Any ideas, it just that itā€™s not a bad idea to have a plan in place in advance.
As I said in the other thread Iā€™ve gone off Evans a bit lately as his constant excuses for our crap performances and bigging up of our opponents are getting boring, but I think he has enough credit in the bank to be given more time. Two 10th place finishes (all be it the first was via points per game).

However, If it carries on the way it is going until January, then maybe heā€™d choose to walk then, rather than a risk getting a relegation on his CV.
Someone like Flynn might be ok, I think weā€™ll probably go the ex player route again and Neil Smith or Kedwell could be other options.

I think with the lack of money at the club though Scally will stick with Evans until the end of the season as otherwise heā€™d have to pay Evans and Raynor off along with the new management team at the same time, and he wonā€™t want to do that.

I didn't like the way Evans was appointed, and booed him at the last home game when he was taking over. But then a new season, and I forgot about Lovell (like I will quickly when Scally leaves) and will support him, because he is now a Gill like me. I'm the same with players. Once they leave I forget about them, and support their replacements, however bad they can be šŸ˜Š

Do you boo yourself for not making the team each week?;)

But we'll never forget you, LSC3! You were different.

Dare I say (at risk of annoying some) that "mediocre" was an improvement on what was being dished up by Lovell so SE has actually got results.
I know he goes on about it and we all argue about it but our wage and transfer budgets really are amongst the worst in our league (even PS mentioned 16th I believe so even if we plump somewhere between SE's and PS's versions, we're not far off rock bottom) so, pound for pound, he has over achieved so far.
If and when SE leaves, I'll be interested to see what people think of our new manager...........Andy Hess' anyone?

Dare I say (at risk of annoying some) that "mediocre" was an improvement on what was being dished up by Lovell so SE has actually got results.
I know he goes on about it and we all argue about it but our wage and transfer budgets really are amongst the worst in our league (even PS mentioned 16th I believe so even if we plump somewhere between SE's and PS's versions, we're not far off rock bottom) so, pound for pound, he has over achieved so far.
If and when SE leaves, I'll be interested to see what people think of our new manager...........Andy Hess' anyone?
Let's leave Steve Lovell out of this his record might not be the best but it certainly wasn't the worst .We have a lot to thank Lovell for .He saved us from almost certain relegation.
Back to the real debate .I was never Evans biggest fan by any stretch. But he is doing a job.The style of football and his personality might not be too everyone's liking but thus far given the financial trouble, the demonstrators and the almost non existent pre season.I think we are possibly a little above where I would have expected to be.Evans normal tactics of clearing out replacing regularly clearly are not easy with very tight financial pressures.The embargo also has had a negative affect especially as we could have signed a couple of free agents in normal circumstances. Their simply has to be a couple of good value players who could improve the squad available right now.
Mistakes have been made but no more than average given the finances. Evans is trying to develop players which I like not at all easy when you are struggling as Rochdale found out to their cost.
If going forward the team lack financial backing any manager will find it hard to change tactics significantly or move above where we were in the last couple of years .Every manager at our level almost without exception has a sell by date .Evans is possibly reaching the end of the road.
He has won me over in parts .I never like to change managers unless it is necessary and I think we are coming to that point. There is life after Evans I would like to see Scally really do interviews this time .It is easier I feel as he it seems will be able to start them in early spring if he needs to.I would not be shocked if Evans and Scally have already agreed that another contract isn't going to happen. But I am confident Evans will keep us up but I think it maybe close this time.Last year's league two promoted sides have done perhaps a little better than expected but I feel a few will get found out second time around as often happens. So while I do expect Charlton to have the buying power to pull themselves clear others will struggle more than they have.i always said the target this season was staying up and I feel we are just about on course to do that.