Evans gets results | Page 3 | Vital Football

Evans gets results

I think that our new manager has been to the ground many times in recent weeks.
I don't think that is in anyway set in stone. Others will throw their hats in the ring.The person you are talking of might well have been the early front runner. But as with a race the person in front on the first lap does not always win the race.Scally is unlikely to have settled on a manager just yet so anyone at games is simply fishing.

Let's leave Steve Lovell out of this his record might not be the best but it certainly wasn't the worst .We have a lot to thank Lovell for .He saved us from almost certain relegation.
Back to the real debate .I was never Evans biggest fan by any stretch. But he is doing a job.The style of football and his personality might not be too everyone's liking but thus far given the financial trouble, the demonstrators and the almost non existent pre season.I think we are possibly a little above where I would have expected to be.Evans normal tactics of clearing out replacing regularly clearly are not easy with very tight financial pressures.The embargo also has had a negative affect especially as we could have signed a couple of free agents in normal circumstances. Their simply has to be a couple of good value players who could improve the squad available right now.
Mistakes have been made but no more than average given the finances. Evans is trying to develop players which I like not at all easy when you are struggling as Rochdale found out to their cost.
If going forward the team lack financial backing any manager will find it hard to change tactics significantly or move above where we were in the last couple of years .Every manager at our level almost without exception has a sell by date .Evans is possibly reaching the end of the road.
He has won me over in parts .I never like to change managers unless it is necessary and I think we are coming to that point. There is life after Evans I would like to see Scally really do interviews this time .It is easier I feel as he it seems will be able to start them in early spring if he needs to.I would not be shocked if Evans and Scally have already agreed that another contract isn't going to happen. But I am confident Evans will keep us up but I think it maybe close this time.Last year's league two promoted sides have done perhaps a little better than expected but I feel a few will get found out second time around as often happens. So while I do expect Charlton to have the buying power to pull themselves clear others will struggle more than they have.i always said the target this season was staying up and I feel we are just about on course to do that.
How can we leave him out? Are we to erase him from our history just because it's uncomfortable to speak of his record? It's not like I'm slagging him off, just saying that SE's record in his first two years is better than Lovell's. Can we not compare managers for fear of offending fans now?

How can we leave him out? Are we to erase him from our history just because it's uncomfortable to speak of his record? It's not like I'm slagging him off, just saying that SE's record in his first two years is better than Lovell's. Can we not compare managers for fear of offending fans now?
Had Steve Evans taken over from Ade Pennock I think he may have had more problems. I am happy to discuss the rights and wrongs of Lovell but not on this tread this is about Evans not Lovell.If you wish to discuss Lovell open a thread on that topic.i will be very happy to join the debate.

For the record, I didn't say I thought Evans should be sacked - I simply question the rationale that most fans use to excuse his obnoxious behaviour.
I don't expect our manager to be a saint but if he needs to treat us to a near incessant tirade of foul-mouthed bawling, the very least I would hope for is that he would have the common sense , for example, to make the obvious substitutions needed to protect a 2 goal lead.
I don't buy the argument that he's some kind of master tactician, I don't see much evidence of talent in many of his player acquisitions and his long-ball style of play is a decade out of date.
Could we do better ?

Had Steve Evans taken over from Ade Pennock I think he may have had more problems. I am happy to discuss the rights and wrongs of Lovell but not on this tread this is about Evans not Lovell.If you wish to discuss Lovell open a thread on that topic.i will be very happy to join the debate.

I liked Ade the player (and man, great bloke) but thought he was poor as a manager.

Granted he wasn’t spoilt with an abundance of tools to do the job but I thought he appeared weak, in press conferences anyway.

So we can bring Pennock into it as long as we leave Lovell alone?
I think you're being a tad sensitive here Chris, the writer of the OP wanted to speak facts, I just stated the fact that SE's first two years were more successful than Lovell's spell, in an attempt to show the improvement. If you think that's inaccurate then fair enough but banning talk of Lovell is a bit ott.

I think you're being a tad sensitive here Chris, the writer of the OP wanted to speak facts, I just stated the fact that SE's first two years were more successful than Lovell's spell, in an attempt to show the improvement. If you think that's inaccurate then fair enough but banning talk of Lovell is a bit ott.

It’s cos Lovell is a ledge Nobs, whereas Evans is tubby, pottymouth that no one wants here. Well, until we win a few and climb the table. Then he’s ok again.

Surely this geezer is on a wind up?
Yes he must be, and he obviously hasn't watched Gills this season as he would know we've been playing very well, but just unfortunate to not beat the likes of Wigan, Sunderland, Charlton, Bolton etc. Nobody has outplayed us (apart from Wycombe) and beaten us by 3 or 4 as other teams have been. I have every confidence we'll be playing in league one again next season, even more so now we have the likes of Jackson and Carayol back in the team.

I much preferred Lovells teams' style of play compared to Evans over the first 2 seasons. I'm enjoying watching Gills much more this season despite the results simply because I think were playing a bit more football and a little less hoof-it.
A really awful pre season and some costly individual errors have us a bit below where I think we should be.
Its always been a bit of a roller coaster supporting Gills, probably why we're all fans in the long run.

Yes he must be, and he obviously hasn't watched Gills this season as he would know we've been playing very well, but just unfortunate to not beat the likes of Wigan, Sunderland, Charlton, Bolton etc.
The opening post said that Evans' "thing" was supposed to be that he gets results, and you've listed 4 matches that should have been won but weren't to argue against that?

I think, given how few wins we’ve had this season in all competitions, it’s fair to say that Evans isn’t getting results (now).

OSK, that's a curious argument. Facts are what actually happened so your 'if SE had got us to 1st ' is as irrelevant as it gets. The facts are our WLD record this season is abysmal, our manager is regularly calling out players by name and the excuses list has got to the stage where defeat can be blamed on the bus journey.

Our performance in past seasons has been mediocre and now it is dreadful. I don't like our current situation any more than you do - we have that much in common I'm sure
I've been a regular since 1/1/66. Where we are now is not dreadful. It is about average for my 55 years of being a Gills fanatic (about 1000 matches even though I haven't lived in Kent since 1976).

I'm not saying things are great just now but get a little perspective please. I'm also not saying Evans is wonderful but overall he's doing ok/well.

Go and be a plastic if you demand "success". I'm happy to remain a "real" fan. Obviously I'd love us to be doing better. I practically creamed myself when we got to the Championship. Sadly, the people who lived in Medway couldn't be arsed to support a successful team so we are where we are now.

I was trying to point out different managers have different problems to deal with .If you start at the very bottom of course it is tougher. Evans took Gills from a better place than many Gillingham managers have started with .If Evans finishes lower than he took over which is possible I for one will not fire previous Gillingham managers at him.