EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 606 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Ultimately, it’s all bollax as the consumer has the choice. If there is no market for USA chicken then it simply won’t be exported no matter what any trade agreement says.
Figure out why American cars have never made an impact?
They don't even make an impact in the UK with Toyota and Honda the biggest sellers.

Most Farm shops I've seen have a load of stuff like oranges , bananas and peaches with a little bit of "local" priduce, all at ludicrous prices. Same goes for these middle class w#nky "Farmers Markets". Rip off merchants.

I really don't know what Farm Shops you visit but I have never been to one that has "ludicrous prices" and the local produce, rather than being a "little bit", far outweighs the fruit items you mention.

In fact only the larger farm shops stock those items. The smaller ones with less space only stock vegetables in season, plus eggs and milk, all without the added carbon footprint.

Just go in to your local supermarket and look at a few countries of origin on the prepacked stuff to realise how things could be done in a much more planet friendly way.

I have just arrived back after passing a lorry on the M20 packed with live sheep. Roll on the end of the year in the vain hope that Michael Gove keeps to his word and introduces the ban on that scummy EU practice.

It’s to appease Romania and Bulgaria because they don’t have enough animal killing factories so it’s more humane to drive them thousands of miles. (apparently)
Absolutely no reason why any UK farmers should do it. It’s barbaric.

Ultimately, it’s all bollax as the consumer has the choice. If there is no market for USA chicken then it simply won’t be exported no matter what any trade agreement says.
Figure out why American cars have never made an impact?
You’ve obviously missed the other bit of news that the USA wants us to drop the rules about country of origin labelling as part of any trade deal. So you want have a fxxxing clue as to where your chicken comes from. Fear not however because Liz Truss says we‘‘ll walk away from any deal with the USA we don’t like. So our negotiating position is give us what we want USA, EU or anyone else or we‘ll walk away. Doesn’t sound like a very realistic negotiating position to me.
I really don't know what Farm Shops you visit but I have never been to one that has "ludicrous prices" and the local produce, rather than being a "little bit", far outweighs the fruit items you mention.

In fact only the larger farm shops stock those items. The smaller ones with less space only stock vegetables in season, plus eggs and milk, all without the added carbon footprint.

Just go in to your local supermarket and look at a few countries of origin on the prepacked stuff to realise how things could be done in a much more planet friendly way.

I have just arrived back after passing a lorry on the M20 packed with live sheep. Roll on the end of the year in the vain hope that Michael Gove keeps to his word and introduces the ban on that scummy EU practice.
But we‘re not and never have been self sufficient in food. We couldn’t even manage it in the war when our very survival depended on it. If we’re going to import a significant amount of our food, surely it makes sense to continue to import it the shortest distance, I.e. from mainland Europe.

It’s cobblers .
I’m glad you reckon that formal government announcements are bollocks. I share your cynicism that they stand any chance of achieving it but given they say things like ‘no checks between mainland Britain and NI” what exactly is their point in announcing it ? It seems to fly in the face of all logic. Tarian repeatedly told me that all the stuff about delays and checks was remoaner nonsense. I am still waiting for him to explain why we could possibly need 50,000 customs officers. Perhaps you’d care to explain to me why Gove announced this. What was his motive ? I understand why you didn’t want to believe what experts said because they were in your eyes all remoaners. But apparently you don’t now believe what the architects of brexit say. Just who do you believe ? I’m genuinely intrigued.

Last edited:
Given how litigious the US is, if there was an issue chlorinated chicken then there would be a rather larger class action going on. 330 million live in the US half the size of the EU don't think its an issue just more crap from the butt hurt remainers.

I mean could point out how the dutch have killed poultry farming in the UK to the point where only niche producers and large scale industrial producers exist and nothing in between.

Despite what our resident extremists on both sides on this board the EU isn't all good and certainly wasn't all bad for the UK.
You might scoff about chlorinated chicken but the concerns go way beyond that. It includes things such as overuse of antibiotics in livestock that will increase the chances of more superbugs developing, or the use of growth hormones. The problem is that the USA works on a different regulatory framework. Their system works on the basis that there should be an identified harm before something is banned. The EU works on the precautionary principle where things are banned where there is suspicion there could be a harm. Bans are lifted where the harm can be proven not to exist. I know which system I would prefer and it’s the one that errs on the side of caution.

That's only small producers. Large producers here have a massive carbon footprint because of our weather. It has been proven that the carbon footprint of shipping fruit and veg to uk from Spain is much less than the footprint of growing the equivalent here. It would be less if goods were shipped from Spain by rail. To grow anything like the equivalent here would require tens of billions maybe more to erect glass houses/poly tunnels and we certainly don't have the manpower to service them.

I'm mildly amused that so many farmers appeared to have voted for Brexit (against their Union's advice) thinking the Govt and taxpayer would keep them afloat. Now they are likely to be dumped.

I also feel sorry for them but I suppose I'll now be accused of being patronising.

That's only small producers. Large producers here have a massive carbon footprint because of our weather. It has been proven that the carbon footprint of shipping fruit and veg to uk from Spain is much less than the footprint of growing the equivalent here. It would be less if goods were shipped from Spain by rail. To grow anything like the equivalent here would require tens of billions maybe more to erect glass houses/poly tunnels and we certainly don't have the manpower to service them.

I agree in respect of things we can not grow here (apart from using glass houses, etc), although I would add that, unless it is my imagination, peaches, for example, that are sold in supermarkets are tasteless in compared to 30 years ago and in addition can have that woolly consistency. No real quality so I would not miss them although I appreciate that is only my personal opinion.

There is no getting round the fact that the demand for fruit all year round, however tasteless, is what drives the demand so importing from Spain and the like will continue and if it goes up due to tariffs some will still buy, but hopefully there will be some downward trend which will help.

How pissed off will all of the doomsayers be when everything turns out fine and the U.K. flourishes outside the EU ?
Just asking!

I'm mildly amused that so many farmers appeared to have voted for Brexit (against their Union's advice) thinking the Govt and taxpayer would keep them afloat. Now they are likely to be dumped.

I also feel sorry for them but I suppose I'll now be accused of being patronising.

Why should they need to be kept afloat? Don't most industries have to stand on their own two feet?

As far as I understand, the EU would sometimes pay our farmers to NOT to grow certain things. At least that practice can be binned.

They received some EU subsidies but considering the only money the EU possesses is contributed by member states, the UK government was one of only 4 nations contributing a huge portion of that. The deadbeat countries contributed sod all.

The irony seems to be that even if the government wishes to match the subsidies that have been lost, they may not be able to as the EU may see it as State aid which is causing them to get their "Level playing field" knickers in a twist.

You’ve obviously missed the other bit of news that the USA wants us to drop the rules about country of origin labelling as part of any trade deal. So you want have a fxxxing clue as to where your chicken comes from. Fear not however because Liz Truss says we‘‘ll walk away from any deal with the USA we don’t like. So our negotiating position is give us what we want USA, EU or anyone else or we‘ll walk away. Doesn’t sound like a very realistic negotiating position to me.

But we‘re not and never have been self sufficient in food. We couldn’t even manage it in the war when our very survival depended on it. If we’re going to import a significant amount of our food, surely it makes sense to continue to import it the shortest distance, I.e. from mainland Europe.

That one really does surprise me, because the US are real sticklers going the other way. It very easy to find where foreign imports into the US are made, hechoed and fabriqued. Bloody hypocrites.

In contrast, EU labeling seems designed to hide the country of origin in masses of language and languages which, I think, tell you who to write to when you have a complaint. But they won't tell you where it's made. For years I thought loads of Cadbury's chocolate in the UK was made in Ireland, and crisps in the Netherlands came from some Arabic country until I read more closely. Bloody post-nationalists.

How pissed off will all of the doomsayers be when everything turns out fine and the U.K. flourishes outside the EU ?
Just asking!
I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. I think I'm one of a tiny minority on here to ever admit to being wrong about anything. I sincerely hope I am wrong again. I'm no "EU lover", I just think leaving was a risk not worth taking and somewhat driven by Nationalism.

I agree in respect of things we can not grow here (apart from using glass houses, etc), although I would add that, unless it is my imagination, peaches, for example, that are sold in supermarkets are tasteless in compared to 30 years ago and in addition can have that woolly consistency. No real quality so I would not miss them although I appreciate that is only my personal opinion.
Blame the people for buying shit and the supermarkets for selling them.
There is no getting round the fact that the demand for fruit all year round, however tasteless, is what drives the demand so importing from Spain and the like will continue and if it goes up due to tariffs some will still buy, but hopefully there will be some downward trend which will help.
If tariffs, if any, go up on imported goods then they will go up on what we export.

The farmers who voted Leave knew what they were voting for (I'm told) so their reaction to how they are treated by the Government will be interesting.