EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 726 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

I was just about to post well done on a wind up that I fell for but it looks loke you meant it.

Ok. I admit, I haven't starved to death yet so perhaps Leave was right all along.

You know full well that every regular Remainer on here never got anywhere near saying we were heading for disaster.
Post 3, 8, 15, 22 and on and on and on…..
All telling me what cannot be done and what will happen.
All, so far, incorrect.
I expect if we wait long enough 😉

I was just about to post well done on a wind up that I fell for but it looks loke you meant it.

Ok. I admit, I haven't starved to death yet so perhaps Leave was right all along.

You know full well that every regular Remainer on here never got anywhere near saying we were heading for disaster.

Agreed, though I seem to recall one who knows a bit about trade rules getting pretty apocalyptic-sounding at times. I think most of the heat on all sides was party political. In the short to medium term being out is like driving with the handbrake half on.

Where I got it wrong, was in thinking that out -we'd be more at ease with ourselves, whether or not better or worse off economically. Ha! Many rivers to cross before that happens. OTH, I think staying in would have presented more and more challenges as the EU continued to try and build itself, and like Shotshy, I think the EU project is out of step with the way the world is going. Our handbrake will slacken. Theirs will tighten.

It's a bit like the 'Nissan will leave UK' line 😁

I'm pleased for the workers up there. It's a great example of manufacturing and I enjoyed my visit.

Interesting to see how much we (tax) payers have had to contribute to this multinational though. I don't mind that as it happens I'd like to see UK Gov invest more in UK manufacturing particularly stuff we need.

Omg, are you serious? London still bigger than Amsterdam, less than a year after we've properly left. Of course it is and f'ing well should be!

Is that some kind of validation for Leave?

Neither have well all starved to death. Oh well, that's good.

Firstly that is share trading - so not including FX, Bonds, Futures, Options, Swaps, M&A, Trade Finance, Insurance, Shipping, Legal (including Dispute Resolution, i.e. English Law) - often inter-related.

Secondly:
Has it not occurred to wonder why London share trading (UK population now 68million) has only just been matched by Euronext (population of France, Belgium Netherlands, 94million) ?

Clearly a big part of London's dominance is a historic breadth and depth of financial products and legal services to underpin them - based partly on Global trade - but also sensible regulation.
FX, Money Markets, Bonds, Insurance, Fund Management (pensions etc), Futures, Options, Legal services etc

Traditionally, investors from those countries invested in Bonds not Shares. (I know, because in the '90's I sold Bonds (indirectly) to the fabled "Belgian Dentist").
Also, when I started in international banking, the vast majority of German firms were private. ( I priced the loans to dozens every day. That was the '80s)
There was neither demand, nor supply for share investors.

Maybe more Europeans are day-trading from home.
So as GBN implies, if the cake is getting bigger, good luck to Euronext.
There are several new share-trading platforms with very low or zero dealing costs.
Freetrade
Trading 212
etoro
Degiro
.....and maybe more in Europe.

Where I got it wrong, was in thinking that out -we'd be more at ease with ourselves, whether or not better or worse off economically. Ha! Many rivers to cross before that happens. OTH, I think staying in would have presented more and more challenges as the EU continued to try and build itself, and like Shotshy, I think the EU project is out of step with the way the world is going. Our handbrake will slacken. Theirs will tighten.

That's the point - at the time we voted to leave, membership of the EU and the associated freedom of movement was probably bearable, but we knew that it would take a period of time to actually fully leave, as has been proven, and the political project that the EU has evolved in to would steadily become more control freakish during that time. It already had too many members with different agendas, and it is becoming steadily more difficult to get things done in a common cause. They are a "union" but the members seldom agree, hence why their vaccine ordering and economic bail out strategies were such a dog's dinner.

What does surprise me is that things are already settling down after the parting of the ways. I thought that 2021 would be the year that remainers would be gleefully jumping up and down and pointing out the short term transitional problems that would inevitably occur, but there seem to have been surprisingly few of those.

It did make me laugh recently when the complaint was about the roaming mobile phone charges going up for those fortunate enough to be able to go on european tours. We were told that the poorest would be the hardest hit by Brexit, but I do not think there will be many people on benefits or on minimum wage that will be affected by that price increase.

Last edited:
I seriously wonder how many Remainers would have been comfortable with taking on mutual debt, which they have driven through since we left.
Actually, had we not left, it would not have happened because there is no way the U.K. would have agreed it.
So, in reality, it’s a win for all.